This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Monday - When Internet Services Die

2»

Comments

• The article that mentioned bits of metal... Would it be wrong to assume that those things came from the device and not the liquid?

I especially loved this gem:
    "Nanoparticles in general can be toxic," she said. "In the case of e-cigarettes, the nanoparticles would tend to go deeper into the respiratory system."
  • edited March 2014
    Apreche said:

Churba said:
    Well, now I do t know what to believe, but I hope this study is the true one.
    Me too, considering. Not really for my own sake - I mean, shit, I smoke(d) despite knowing the risks, so I can't say I'd let it stop me. But it's a hell of a lot more pleasant for non-smokers, it's better for the environment(I will acknowledge that disposal of used vape gear is a problem without a good solution right now, but it's better than tab-ends all over the place) and it's nice to think that even the assholes like me who choose to indulge their habit despite the risks will be at a lower risk for cancer. Say what you like about smokers, but cancer is a real motherfucker.

Post edited by Churba on
  • HMTKSteve said:

The article that mentioned bits of metal... Would it be wrong to assume that those things came from the device and not the liquid?

I especially loved this gem:

"Nanoparticles in general can be toxic," she said. "In the case of e-cigarettes, the nanoparticles would tend to go deeper into the respiratory system."
    It could be from the e-cig yeah. Some cheaper ones use metal wicks that soak up the e-cig juice, sometimes aluminum. In better products, its a cotton or synthetic fiber wick, so you'd probably find fiber particles in the vapor instead haha.

The funny thing with the original study is that the article puts it like "e-cigarettes are dangerous" but at the same time points out that there are over 250 different brands and only 2 were tested (two brands I have never seen for sale too). There's no regulation and almost no standardization across the different products thanks to the FDA taking its time, so its not really possible to judge e-cigs as a whole unless you tested everything.

The reality is that there's two wealthy industries fighting each other over this crap, and there's going to be no unbiased research about it which sucks for consumers. I'd say the FDA would be the only unbiased source of info about it, but I don't even know about that. Its all so stupid.
  • When Scott was talking about replacing the words "the cloud" in your mind with something else, I thought he was going to say my butt.
  • edited March 2014
    Its really the e liquid that's the problem a lot of the time, but cheap devices are probably an issue too. The main ingredients are proplyene glycol, vegetable glycerin, nicotine and then whatever flavorings. The first two are pretty safe and are in a lot of foods. The problem is that a lot of e liquid is either made in china or made from ingredients made in china (but labeled as "Made in USA" once mixed) and they don't have as strict codes when it comes to the purity of this shit. Some e cig's are probably just fine other than nicotine and all its issues, but its really hard to tell what would be the safest. If you really want to do it and be safe the best bet is probably either going with reputable brands and mixing your own juice out of known quality ingredients, but that's not going to help your average joe who buys one at a gas station and then starts smoking it in a store so he can go "No no, its ok its ELECTRONIC!"

Obviously nicotine is bad for you but I was under the impression that it wasn't so much of a carcinogen itself but that it would increase cancer cell growth and generally just make shit worse.
    Post edited by ninjarabbi on