This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Learning to type "correctly"

Comments

• If you get one of these then you can make it really inconvenient to type poorly.

Second on Mario Teaches Typing though.
  • edited December 2014
    arr said:

If you get one of these then you can make it really inconvenient to type poorly.

Second on Mario Teaches Typing though.

Those do not come in mechanical though.

Edit: This is my current keyboard for your amusement

Post edited by SuperPichu on
  • arr said:

If you get one of these then you can make it really inconvenient to type poorly.

No no no. That'll teach you some bullshit. Never type on an "ergonomic keyboard."

If you really want to learn how to type, get one of these:
  • The only worthwhile ergonomic keyboards I've seen are weird chording keyboards by Kinesys and the like for people with extreme carpel tunnel. Otherwise, these random curvy ones absolutely don't make any sense.

FWIW, I don't use any ergo keyboard and I miss my old model M...
  • Andrew said:
    Not bad... but the missing numeric keyboard is a no-go for me. Also, it looks like it uses green Cherry switches, which are even louder than blues. I'm limited to browns for various noise reasons.

Still, it does look quite nice if it works for ya.
  • Not bad... but the missing numeric keyboard is a no-go for me. Also, it looks like it uses green Cherry switches, which are even louder than blues. I'm limited to browns for various noise reasons.

Still, it does look quite nice if it works for ya.

If you like stiffer switches, try getting a keyboard with Cherry Black switches. They've got that nice pressure and the tactile click, but they're much, much quieter than greens and blues.

• Blacks are linear actuators, don't they though? I want a keyboard for serious typing as much as gaming, and supposedly non-linear actuators like in the blues, greens, and browns are better for those. Linear keys tend to be better for pure gaming.
  • Blacks are linear actuators, don't they though? I want a keyboard for serious typing as much as gaming, and supposedly non-linear actuators like in the blues, greens, and browns are better for those. Linear keys tend to be better for pure gaming.

They are, but I'll be straight with you, I find they're pretty nice for typing. It might help that the black switches are rather stiffer than the usual cherry reds, I'm not sure. I prefer them to the Blues and Browns.
  • I want to find a place that will let me just try a whole mess of different keyboards.
  • edited December 2014
    In middle school, we actually had a typing class where we learned how to type. There were these plastic boxes to fit keyboards inside them. Therefore you couldn't look at the keyboard while you were typing. I think one way we were tested was quick typing a passage from a book while monitors off and on a time limit. Honestly its was pretty helpful.
    Post edited by Fundefined on
  • I want to find a place that will let me just try a whole mess of different keyboards.

This is what I want too. I've used some low quality red switch keyboards and found them impossible to type accurately on at high speed. I've tried browns which don't feel all that different from membrane keyboards. I only briefly tried out blues, greens, oranges and black switches but it was too hard to form an opinion with the limited time I had. The Corsair keyboard with blue switches was nice for typing though.
  • Not sure if I want to get a super personalised keyboard but WASD lets you do whatever you want with key caps and switches although it seems price prohibitive. Anyone used this brand before?

• There are plenty of ways to get keyboards with custom caps and switches. What I need is a custom LAYOUT. I want a Happy Hacking Keyboard layout with Cherry MX Blue or Brown switches.
  • Apreche said:

There are plenty of ways to get keyboards with custom caps and switches. What I need is a custom LAYOUT. I want a Happy Hacking Keyboard layout with Cherry MX Blue or Brown switches.

This one's pretty close. It's not perfect, but it's not that far off what you're looking for. Be a man, you can take an extra inch or two.
  • Churba said:

Apreche said:

There are plenty of ways to get keyboards with custom caps and switches. What I need is a custom LAYOUT. I want a Happy Hacking Keyboard layout with Cherry MX Blue or Brown switches.

This one's pretty close. It's not perfect, but it's not that far off what you're looking for. Be a man, you can take an extra inch or two.
    That one is just fine, except for one flaw. The most important thing is the position of the Esc key. When using vim, you press esc a lot. Having it in the position usually occupied by the ` key is the only reason I use the HHK whenever I have to code. Otherwise, I would be just fine with any standard layout.
  • Huh, that is something I would have never considered. Not surprising, considering that I've won more drag competitions than times I've used VIM, but I suppose you can't know what you don't know you don't know.
  • Churba said:

Huh, that is something I would have never considered. Not surprising, considering that I've won more drag competitions than times I've used VIM, but I suppose you can't know what you don't know you don't know.

I mean, there's also the fact that an HHK has Ctrl where Caps Lock goes. It's easy enough to remap that on non-HHKs. However, that's only because you don't mind the fact that Caps Lock is now missing. If I remap ` to Esc, where do I put the `?
  • Apreche said:

Churba said:

Huh, that is something I would have never considered. Not surprising, considering that I've won more drag competitions than times I've used VIM, but I suppose you can't know what you don't know you don't know.

I mean, there's also the fact that an HHK has Ctrl where Caps Lock goes. It's easy enough to remap that on non-HHKs. However, that's only because you don't mind the fact that Caps Lock is now missing. If I remap ` to Esc, where do I put the `?
    Where Esc originally was, I suppose. I do the same thing with my caps lock, I just remap to my left ctrl.

• edited December 2014
    Churba said:

Apreche said:

Churba said:

Where Esc originally was, I suppose. I do the same thing with my caps lock, I just remap to my left ctrl.

Wow. How did that obvious solution completely escape me...

EDIT: OMG PUN WAS COMPLETELY ACCIDENTAL. I SWEAR I DIDN'T REALIZE UNTIL AFTER I PUSHED SAVE.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Apreche said:

Churba said:

Apreche said:

Churba said:

EDIT: OMG PUN WAS COMPLETELY ACCIDENTAL. I SWEAR I DIDN'T REALIZE UNTIL AFTER I PUSHED SAVE.
    I still laughed.

Churba is the smartest person I know, he solved Scott's problem.

Jeff Atwood did a keyboard with them. However if mx greens and mx clears are too hard to press you can make a custom 87 layout.

I wonder why HHK uses Topre switches, they feel so weird.
  • sK0pe said:

Apreche said:

Churba said:

Apreche said:

Churba said:

I still laughed.

Churba is the smartest person I know, he solved Scott's problem.

Jeff Atwood did a keyboard with them. However if mx greens and mx clears are too hard to press you can make a custom 87 layout.

I wonder why HHK uses Topre switches, they feel so weird.
    The HHK I have is the USB Lite 2, which doesn't even have the topre switches. It just has a rubber membraned. At home where I don't write much code I've been using a Rosewill RK-9100 with blue switches. I think at work I probably want brown switches to prevent making my co-workers insane.
  • You can get blues and put the little rubber rings on each switch, you can find them on Amazon.
  • edited December 2014
    Fuck wrong thread.
    Post edited by SuperPichu on
  • Fuck wrong thread.

We can't find you a keyboard to fix that I'm sorry.
  • edited December 2014
    I got the Das Keyboard 4 Professional for my Mum as a Christmas present. (I tried it out at her house).

It's a really nice keyboard. I like how every row has a slightly different angle so it is harder to press the wrong key and takes less force. Also the media buttons are really nice. compared to my own keyboard as is the volume knob which has some resistance to it.
    Omnutia said:

You can get blues and put the little rubber rings on each switch, you can find them on Amazon.

I recommend this option if you like the feel of blues but want to dampen the sound without having to compromise on what type of switch you like.
    Churba said:

Fuck wrong thread.

We can't find you a keyboard to fix that I'm sorry.
    Post edited by sK0pe on
  • Omnutia said:

You can get blues and put the little rubber rings on each switch, you can find them on Amazon.

Why? Isn't brown literally the same as blue, only quiet?
  • Apreche said:

Omnutia said:

Why? Isn't brown literally the same as blue, only quiet?
    Brown also has a little bit less actuation force, so there is a slight difference other than the noise level.

I found out that I'm getting the Das Keyboard 4/Brown myself for Christmas. Looking forward to it.
  • edited December 2014
    They may seem similar but Blue has the unique separation to make the actuation point really stand out and give it that extra click to aid typing.
    You should look at this page showing all the switch types.
    imageimage
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Audio comparison -