This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Learning to type "correctly"

Comments

• Based on that video, the brown ones are still pretty loud. May as well just get blue. O-Ring mod seems to work, but is also silly.
  • I know it's super late to chime into this discussion, but I learnt to type correctly by chatting in the dark.

I'm actually serious about this. I would sit back on my chair, load up IRC chat rooms about my favourite topics, and chat with people for hours. Sure, when I started I was looking at the keys and hunting and pecking, but as time went on I started relying on that less (mostly because I had to strain my eyes to identify keys), and relying on my intuition more. Over about 3 months I went from the hunt and peck to being a pretty good typist. Then I picked up speed and now the only time I have to hunt and peck is when I'm using a laptop with a wierd key layout... and even then just for a few moments.
  • Apreche said:

Based on that video, the brown ones are still pretty loud. May as well just get blue. O-Ring mod seems to work, but is also silly.

I don't know if the microphones pick up the sound with greater sensitivity than my ears, but it seems like most of the brown vs. blue videos i've seen make both switches sound quite loud. Now this isn't an apples-to-apples comparison, but when i tried out a brown at my office, it sounded significantly quieter than my previous mechanical keyboard (which used Alps, not Cherry, switches) as well as my old Model M.
  • Apreche said:

Based on that video, the brown ones are still pretty loud. May as well just get blue. O-Ring mod seems to work, but is also silly.

I don't know if the microphones pick up the sound with greater sensitivity than my ears, but it seems like most of the brown vs. blue videos i've seen make both switches sound quite loud. Now this isn't an apples-to-apples comparison, but when i tried out a brown at my office, it sounded significantly quieter than my previous mechanical keyboard (which used Alps, not Cherry, switches) as well as my old Model M.
    When bottoming out they both have similar volumes.
    When you are just touch typing however, the brown do not make as much noise while the blues have a high frequency click for each actuation of a key.

The O ring modifications reduce the bottoming out sounds for both.

For typing, it has to be preference however. I tried using browns and for some reason they felt too mushy - by mushy I mean the actuation force was too low for me and I couldn't determine if I had pressed it with enough force leading to typing characters twice or accidentally hitting other keys. It is only a 5g difference but I like the hard feedback switches.

I think you need to try it out for your personal taste.

Hope you enjoy your Das Keyboard Lou, my parents are now fighting over who gets to use the computer which has the new keyboard, they hate using their laptops now.

I swear my parents turned into kids after my brother and I moved out.
  • edited December 2014
    sK0pe said:

For typing, it has to be preference however. I tried using browns and for some reason they felt too mushy - by mushy I mean the actuation force was too low for me and I couldn't determine if I had pressed it with enough force leading to typing characters twice or accidentally hitting other keys. It is only a 5g difference but I like the hard feedback switches.

I think you need to try it out for your personal taste.

Well, my personal taste would be to go for Model Ms. :) Unfortunately, they're only made by one company now, using ancient key molds that no longer have the best fit and finish, and they have very limited roll-over for gaming purposes. They're also way too loud for my spousal overunit's taste. Browns are the best compromise I've got at this point.
    Post edited by Dragonmaster Lou on
  • So I put both of my HHK USB Lite 2 keyboards into the dishwasher over the holidays. They are so nice and clean, and still work perfectly. But, some of the keys on them are sticking. Mostly notably the left shift key. It's really ruining my whole typing day.

Even though I think I can repair it easily enough, I splurged and ordered that CODE keyboard with the Cherry MX Clears. I've used this keyboard for 30+ hours a week since '07, and this is my SECOND one. I think it's ok to replace it now.

I think this will work out well. It lets you remap Ctrl to Caps Lock with a dip switch. I'm currently adjusting to using Ctrl + [ instead of Esc in vim, so the further Esc key won't be a problem. Also, having a numpad again should be nice. That's the HHK's only fault.

Full report will come when it arrives. If anyone wants to try out an HHK USB Lite 2, let me know. I'll sell them for cheap.
  • You broke the shift key on purpose to have an excuse to buy a new keyboard.
  • Rym said:

You broke the shift key on purpose to have an excuse to buy a new keyboard.

I'm going to fix it.
  • Apreche said:

Even though I think I can repair it easily enough, I splurged and ordered that CODE keyboard with the Cherry MX Clears. I've used this keyboard for 30+ hours a week since '07, and this is my SECOND one. I think it's ok to replace it now.

I think this will work out well. It lets you remap Ctrl to Caps Lock with a dip switch. I'm currently adjusting to using Ctrl + [ instead of Esc in vim, so the further Esc key won't be a problem. Also, having a numpad again should be nice. That's the HHK's only fault.

Full report will come when it arrives.

I'm really interested to hear what you think, as it isn't cheap to ship one of the CODE keyboards to Australia.
  • edited January 2015
    The CODE keyboard is a winner. Co-workers confirm it is less annoying noise-wise than the Happy Hacking Keyboard USB Lite 2. The clear Cherry MX switches feel amazing compared to the membrane on the HHK. They don't feel quite as good as the blue switches I have at home, but they are 99% of the way there. It takes a bit more force to push the keys, my fingers feel like they are getting a workout while typing this post. You should definitely get clears if you share a space with other people. When I have headphones on, which do not isolate or cancel noise, I can hardly hear the keyboard even while I type at full speed. With the HHK, that was not the case.

The only negative is the distant Esc key. I just have to get used to using ctrl+[ for Esc in vim, and all will be well. That's actually a good thing to get used to for when I have to use some other keyboards at other people's desks and such. I knew this before I bought it. All the other keys, like \ and ` being in the correct place almost makes up for Esc being so far away.

The dip-switches let you customize the keyboard. The one problem with them is that you can only switch them while the keyboard is unplugged. Kind of annoying if you don't realize that during the initial setup.

One switch allows you to turn caps lock into control. That's terrific because doing that in Windows still requires registry editing. It's absolutely necessary if you aren't the type of person who writes ALL CAPS EMAILS. I do miss that the HHK allowed you to still control caps lock by pressing Fn+Tab.

Another switch lets you swap the useless menu button into an Fn button. Nobody ever uses the menu button. The Fn button can be used to control the backlight and also some media keys which are nice.

You can also switch the layout between default, Mac, DVORAK, and Colemak. That's cool, but if you ever switch it to DVORAK or Colemak, you can go fuck yourself. Switching between Mac and Windows mode is very nice.

The other two remaining switches let you control the OS/Win keys. One switch lets you permanently disable them if you want. If you keep them enabled, you can use the last switch to dump Scroll Lock and replace it with OS Key Lock. That lets you turn the OS/Win keys on and off with scroll lock. If this were a gaming keyboard that would be a great feature, so you can prevent accidentally pressing those while playing a full screen game.

Other bonuses of the CODE keyboard.

It comes with a USB->PS/2 adapter. PS/2 is just better. With USB there is 6-key rollover, and Ctrl, Alt, Shift don't count towards those 6 keys. That should be more than enough for anyone, but with PS/2 there is true n-key rollover. Using USB because this laptop+docking station doesn't have a PS/2 port.

The back light is incredible. There are 7 levels of brightness. At low levels it feels like a cool spooky mist below the keys. It's pleasant just to have it there even if you don't need it. The one I have at home has a bright blue LED backlight that is annoying, and I just try to keep it off all the time. Also, the keyboard I have at home does not remember your lighting setting, so I have to turn the light off whenever the computer restarts or something. This keyboard remembers the lighting setting internal to itself.

The USB cable is a micro USB cable. It completely disconnects meaning you can replace the cable if necessary. Also, you can route it through the middle, right, or left of the rear, for whatever is optimal for your desk layout.

The rubber feet on the keyboard and the weight of it prevent it from moving around on the desk accidentally. Definitely the best keyboard I've owned in that regard.

The only other thing I can think to say about it is that it is NOT also a USB hub. Both the HHK and my home keyboard are also USB hubs. I've always thought that functionality was great, but I rarely, if ever used it. It's because the HHK was only a USB 1.0 HUB, and provided no power. The other keyboard I have I think is non-powered USB 2.0 hub. You can't even plug your iPhone into it and expect it to work. The Dell monitors I have are better at being USB hubs, so no need for that on the keyboard as well. I do wish the keyboard had a quality powered USB 3.0 hub in it, then it would kick ass. I'd be willing to have an extra power cable for that.

If you type a lot in a shared office environment, and especially if what you are typing is code, the CODE keyboard is pretty great. Do not get it for other purposes, like serious gaming. Also, if you are in a place where making noise doesn't matter, you can get the same exact keyboard with green switches instead.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Oh, it also comes with a handy tool to remove the keycaps.
  • Apreche said:

One switch allows you to turn caps lock into control. That's terrific because doing that in Windows still requires registry editing.

Yes and no. There is an open source tool to do the registry editing for you: http://www.randyrants.com/category/sharpkeys/
    Apreche said:

Do not get it for other purposes, like serious gaming. Also, if you are in a place where making noise doesn't matter, you can get the same exact keyboard with green switches instead.

In what way is it not appropriate for serious gaming, out of curiosity?
  • Thanks Scott, I will likely get the green switch version of this keyboard.
  • Apreche said:

One switch allows you to turn caps lock into control. That's terrific because doing that in Windows still requires registry editing.

Yes and no. There is an open source tool to do the registry editing for you: http://www.randyrants.com/category/sharpkeys/
    Apreche said:

Do not get it for other purposes, like serious gaming. Also, if you are in a place where making noise doesn't matter, you can get the same exact keyboard with green switches instead.

In what way is it not appropriate for serious gaming, out of curiosity?
    The disabling of the windows keys really helps, and the layout is perfectly normal. If you are just a normal person gaming, this is a great keyboard. If you are gaming seriously, the clear or green switches are going to be a problem. You're probably going to want Red switches if you are serious.
  • My current keyboard has it set up in an interesting way - the left-hand windows key isn't a windows key, it's got a Steelseries logo on it, and it functions almost identically to the alt-function key on a laptop, with a bunch of the usual function keys doing double duty for things like volume control, mute, and so on.
  • Apreche said:

The disabling of the windows keys really helps, and the layout is perfectly normal. If you are just a normal person gaming, this is a great keyboard. If you are gaming seriously, the clear or green switches are going to be a problem. You're probably going to want Red switches if you are serious.

Okay, I can see that. So it's fine for the average person that does a mix of gaming (perhaps fairly serious, though not professional/super hardcore) and writing, but the hardcore, professional gamer is going to want something else.
  • Apreche said:

Okay, I can see that. So it's fine for the average person that does a mix of gaming (perhaps fairly serious, though not professional/super hardcore) and writing, but the hardcore, professional gamer is going to want something else.
    I think the main thing is that the player is comfortable with it, most gaming keyboards are available in blue, brown, black and red switch. I personally can't play on red switches because I have no idea when I have pressed the button and accidentally have made things happen in games with linear switches. I think it is whatever you are most comfortable with.

The greater issue would be not binding macros, otherwise they would work fine.

I investigated the total price of getting the CODE keyboard I wanted and it ends up being almost $300 which might be a little much at the moment for me as I have just bought all the parts to upgrade my parent's machine.

However I have found a retailer selling a Ducky Shine 4 with green switches. It doesn't have true PS-2 port or likely the build but my friend says they are good quality and uses them at home and at his workplace.
  • I've heard good things about Duckys, so yeah, if you can get a good deal on them, great.

Personally, I just got two Das Keyboard 4 Pro Browns and I've been quite happy with them. Supposedly they can do N-key over USB as well as PS/2 (true N-key, not 6 key), though I haven't tried it yet.
  • edited February 2015
    http://gizmodo.com/i-cant-stop-buying-ridiculous-keyboards-and-i-dont-know-1682683606

The SafeType looks ridiculous, with a price to match. But actually looks comfortable. Gotta love good ergonomics.
    Post edited by Dazzle369 on
  • That does not look comfortable. It looks like snake oil.
  • The reason I say it looks comfortable is because I feel the strains he describes, the reasoning looks legit. A simple test, if you exaggerate the postures, for example pronation, turning your hand so much that it faces outward. Move your fingers around for 30 seconds or so, you'll start to feel the strain on one side of your forearm.

This isn't a problem for most people because it's such a small strain. Hence you can only notice over prolong periods or if you're physically impaired in some way.

For me repositioning my hands on a standard qwerty keyboard slightly and stretching once in a while is enough to mitigate what strains I feel.

However if you consider the game control pad, your hands assume the position he describes. More so with the Xbox 360 controller.

The problem with gamepads is, the buttons need to be on the back, where all the fingers are.

• OMG this video is fucking hilarious.

The guy thinks that pronation causes the radius and ulna to cross over. We have evolved from a naturally pronating species.
    The ulnar deviation can only occur if you point your elbows inwards or use your thumbs to type on the home row.
    If you'v been typing for a long time at a decent speed you know that you placing your wrist down only makes you type slower.

The only way to fix any problems is to make your keyboard sit low enough that your elbows are bent at about 90 degrees or more or and you have a comfortable chair.
    Apreche said:

That does not look comfortable. It looks like snake oil.

• Whelp, I have a key sampler on the way and the next step is figuring out what keys I want and then identifying a brand. I had no clue how much fun picking out a keyboard could be.
  • I just love my Cherry Blue MX clickies in my faceless daskeyboard.

At work, I still use the same keyboard, but with Cherry Brown instead (to avoid annoying my coworkers).
  • At home I have Cherry MX Blue. At work I have Cherry MX Clear. Both are great. Blue is better, but loud. For gaming, you'll want a different color.
  • The keyboard wil be both work and gaming, in about equal parts. The only real factor is noise as the lady sleeps about 5 feet away, hence the tester kit. Plus I'm curious about the tactile bump action I've read up on.
  • Brown is pretty quiet and doesn't feel that bad. No bump though.
  • If you go to theisozone website, you can download Typing of the Dead.

Oh yeh.
  • I remember the feel of the old Apple IIc keyboards from Elementary school. I really hope the keyboards of today can approximate that.
  • Rym said:

Brown is pretty quiet and doesn't feel that bad. No bump though.

That "no bump" is a killer for me, my brain has been conditioned to stop pressing after the bump. Greens and Blues for me.