This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Terrorism in the Modern World

Comments

• As a tongue-in-cheek deflection of sorts, I posted on FB that the Paris attacks must be the work of atheists, not any other religious group. I ended up getting slammed for dissing religion.

Atheists can't win. It's like we are expected to sit in our little corner and not say anything the religious people might find objectionable. Even humor.
  • Churba said:

It is a world where Beirut, reeling from bombing two days before Paris, is not covered in the press.
    No coverage? Oh fucking really.

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20.

Not even an exhaustive list, nor did I bother to pull multiple stories from single outlets where they ran more than one, and covering almost exclusively established, reasonably mainstream outlets.

Here's a tidy little tip - If someone says "The media didn't cover (X major event)", just automatically translate it to "I'm an ignorant twit who pays no attention to the news media or the world around me, but I want someone to point fingers at." The media covered it - It's just twits like this who confuse their own ignorance and lack of care for lack of action on someone else's part.

These events always bring out insufferable pedantry.
  • I've seen people asking why there wasnt an outpouring of global sympathy for the bombing of a Hezbolah stronghold by Daesh.

Isn't Hezbolah a terrorist organization backed by Iran? I could swear I've seen some 'kill all the Jews, destroy Israel' from the group.

Maybe that's why the world cares less?

Please correct me if I'm off base.

Edit: Yeah, Hezbolah is backing Assad. Screw em.

"The militant group Islamic State took responsibility Thursday for twin bombings that ripped through a busy residential district of south Beirut, killing at least 43 people and wounding more than 200." "The strikes began about 6 p.m., when the streets were crowded with shoppers and people returning from work, and cafes and restaurants were doing a brisk business. The timing seemed chosen for a maximum number of casualties." Source

Um... because they bombed a bunch of civilians and that is wrong.
  • edited November 2015

Oh yes, because the difference between "The media didn't cover this" and "Practically all major news media outlets covered this" is pedantry. Fuck off.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Hollande is calling this an act of war by Daesh, even though I don't think there's been any proven connection between the shooters and Daesh yet, and the NATO security council is meeting.

Chances of boots hitting the ground in Syria just went up.
  • Churba said:

Oh yes, because the difference between "The media didn't cover this" and "Practically all major news media outlets covered this" is pedantry. Fuck off.
    The sentiment was not that it wasn't covered by the press, but that it didn't rise to the type of topic like for example these attacks in Paris have. You are in fact quite pedantic here, focusing on the literal statement rather than on the substance within it.
  • chaosof99 said:

The sentiment was not that it wasn't covered by the press, but that it didn't rise to the type of topic like for example these attacks in Paris have. You are in fact quite pedantic here, focusing on the literal statement rather than on the substance within it.

Yeah, tell me that when it's your profession being used as a direct example of what's wrong with the world. Here's a sentiment: Always easy to dismiss it as not mattering when it's just some other guy, isn't it?
  • Banta said:

Hollande is calling this an act of war by Daesh, even though I don't think there's been any proven connection between the shooters and Daesh yet, and the NATO security council is meeting.

Daesh claimed it was their attack a while ago, and that it was the beginning of a "storm."

• Rym said:

Banta said:

Hollande is calling this an act of war by Daesh, even though I don't think there's been any proven connection between the shooters and Daesh yet, and the NATO security council is meeting.

Daesh claimed it was their attack a while ago, and that it was the beginning of a "storm."

I'll believe the followup attacks when I see them. Attacks on foreign targets by NGOs take months or years of planning, fundraising and organization, and about now is when the French and EU intelligence services are going to switch from passively observing potentially dangerous people to coming down on them hard, robbing Daesh of whatever network they have in Europe.
  • I've seen people asking why there wasnt an outpouring of global sympathy for the bombing of a Hezbolah stronghold by Daesh.

Isn't Hezbolah a terrorist organization backed by Iran? I could swear I've seen some 'kill all the Jews, destroy Israel' from the group.

"The militant group Islamic State took responsibility Thursday for twin bombings that ripped through a busy residential district of south Beirut, killing at least 43 people and wounding more than 200." "The strikes began about 6 p.m., when the streets were crowded with shoppers and people returning from work, and cafes and restaurants were doing a brisk business. The timing seemed chosen for a maximum number of casualties." Source

Civilians who support a group linked to international terrorism. Sorry, no sympathy from me on that one.

Civilians who support a group linked to international terrorism. Sorry, no sympathy from me on that one.
    Yes, because we know for certain that the 43 dead and 200 wounded all supported Hezbollah. Backed that group to the hilt, no questions asked, and may as well have been wearing suicide vests themselves. They lived there, after all, that makes them complicit!

I'm sure that's the same reasoning that the 9/11 hijackers had, and what Palestinian militant groups think when they kill Israeli civilians.

You are way too smart for that kind of bullshit.
  • Civilians who support a group linked to international terrorism. Sorry, no sympathy from me on that one.

Same reason I have no problem with Americans dying. All Americans are clearly responsible for voting in warmongering fools who look to win some favour with the companies that funded them curry favour according to polls from people who have no idea of who they are bombing with what or what for. The global fall out of the actions are catastrophic and the reasons are swept under a rug. "What us? Oh we had 911, everyone outside of America is a viable target, we can break the Geneva convention, but you can't judge us because its not on American soil."
    Banta said:

You are way too smart for that kind of bullshit.

Is he though?
  • sK0pe said:

Is he though?

Nobody is. They're just better able to use fancier words to justify it.
  • Points made. Consider my opinion changed.
  • I think one of the many reasons that the Paris attack hits closer to home is so many people from the US have been there, either to Paris or to France. All those changed status photos of people standing before the Eiffel Tower, in France, etc etc. It does have an effect. A war in Lebanon, that has been raging for years, in a country so far removed from the every day experience of the average American is an abstract. An attack in Paris is much more real.

• I will admit that this was true for me both with Paris and Sydney. Paris, I ran past where the attacks occurred on a morning jog the last time I was in the city. Sydney, I had coffee at that shop that was attacked.

Even the Taksim square incident in Istanbul took on a visceral feeling when I saw it on the news and recognized the streets...
  • Rym said:

I will admit that this was true for me both with Paris and Sydney. Paris, I ran past where the attacks occurred on a morning jog the last time I was in the city. Sydney, I had coffee at that shop that was attacked.

Even the Taksim square incident in Istanbul took on a visceral feeling when I saw it on the news and recognized the streets...

I had similar feelings when Egypt was attacked a few years ago. A table where I had sat and bantered with a waiter was now a pile of smoking ash. Thousands of miles away but it really brought it home for me.

You don't report a fire in a furnace.
  • France isn't dicking around.

Joint air strikes with the US, UAE on known Daesh strongholds in Raqqa.
  • America needs to collectively apologize for all that "Freedom Fries" crap now.
  • edited November 2015

America needs to collectively apologize for all that "Freedom Fries" crap now.

We'll get Obama on that.

Also: Encryption haters are already blaming Snowden. Never let a crisis go to waste, eh?
    Post edited by Jack Draigo on
  • I keep hearing that Daesh wants some sort of final confrontation with "Rome" in the city of Raqqa which they believe they will win, bringing about the apocalypse.

The nations of the world should bait the Daesh terrorist forces there, promptly withdraw, bomb it to dust, and thereby ruin any possibility of their delusional prophecy from becoming remotely true.

Because it's definitely that easy.

:/
  • What will our militaries do after we've won the war on terror?
  • Dazzle369 said:

What will our militaries do after we've won the war on terror?

We've always been at war with Eastasia.
  • The US political war is now against two things:

1. Immigration
    2. Encryption
  • yea I noticed that one of the D candidates for Senate in PA (the one I am definitely not supporting) brought up Encryption as the big danger when asked about Paris and ISIL
  • The Democrats are going to fuck the technology world over on this. If Hillary takes a strong anti-encryption stance I won't vote for her in the general election.