This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Running

Comments

• And then, what is 5.5 miles per hour?

The specific maximum speed I can sustain a walking (non-jumping gait) pace. ;^)

• Yeah. So this just shows how useless this is for communication of running progress.
  • I just finished my third day. Ran 3.15 miles at a calculated average METs of 13.2!
  • edited February 2015
    A course of glucosamine sulphate or equivalent will help joint issues.

Worked when I was training on 10km runs, I was having groin pains (joints not genitals).

Also now running on Asics is like running on a cloud.

Have a nimbus pair, they're so comfy. Prior trainers have all caused aches and pains, and ultimately damaged my feet and ruined lives.

Also if you're not using metric for everything, you're a bad human being and you should feel bad.
    Post edited by Dazzle369 on
  • Once I recover from my hernia surgery will be making a point to run or walk at least 3 miles every other day.
  • I was talking for the long term. I have knackered knees at 25 because I didn't pay attention to that stuff when I was younger.
  • Rym said:

I just finished my third day. Ran 3.15 miles at a calculated average METs of 13.2!

METs?

This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page.
    This article may be too technical for most readers to understand. (September 2013)
    This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2013)
    This article may be unbalanced towards certain viewpoints. (September 2013)
  • Completed number four earlier!

I ran 5,808 yards at about 11fps.
  • That's pretty poor framerate. What GPU are you running?
  • Starfox said:

That's pretty poor framerate. What GPU are you running?

Human brain spec 1.1. Tuned for about 33 years.

• So far, this has had zero impact on my life, and seems to be about the same amount of total exercise I get on a weekly basis in the summer anyway. It's just more spread out.

When I bike to work, I probably exercise a lot more than what I'm doing under this experiment. That's 15 miles of hard biking every day (two 30 minute sessions), plus my usual lifting and bouldering AND running a few times a week.

Now, I'm JUST lifting, bouldering, and running every day, but running fewer total weekly miles.
  • This weekend I'll probably add a 10k on Saturday and see how that jives with the daily 5ks.
  • Running can be addicting, I would limit myself to run 10K every other day, and on weekends not more than 2.5 hours for a long run.
    I kind stopped running when it gets cold like in winter so I took up P90X 3, is only 30 minutes and you can see results in almost a week, it puts a lot of crazy strain on your body though.
  • Now that I haven't been smoking basically since PAX, I think I might take it up. Previous attempts ended poorly, but at least I had the manners to chunder in a bin, rather than just on the floor.
  • Churba said:

smoking basically

Churba U:

Smoking 101 - Basic smoking
    Smoking 302 - Smoking principles II
    Smoking 638 - Advanced smoking techniques

Piloting 221 - Land
    Piloting 222 - Sea
    Piloting 248 - Air

Australia 151 - Poisonous things
    Australia 310 - Drinking
  • Good news - all worth course credits.
  • I could totally claim points on Australia 151, 310 and Piloting 221.
  • RymRym
    edited February 2015
    I ran 5,000 meters today at an average speed of 1.067 furlongs per minute bearing a total mass of about 5 slugs for the distance. Thus concludes day 5.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Rym said:

I ran 5,000 meters today at an average speed of 1.067 furlongs per minute bearing a total mass of about 5 slugs for the distance. Thus concludes day 5.

Holy shit you were running at 3.5774376 m/s.
    Which is 12.8787754 km/h for most people.
    This means it took Rym 23 minutes and 17.6484174036 seconds to run 5 km.

He propelled approximately 72.9695147 kilograms during this period.

Primary school maths in the Google era is too easy.
  • edited February 2015
    23.17 for 5km is the first time I've ever really understood your running pace. Yesterday my 5km time was 28.49, so it seems you're waaaaaaay more serious about running than I'll ever be. My best ever time is 23.27, and that wasn't on the coldest day in 10 years.
    Post edited by Luke Burrage on
  • sK0pe said:

Rym said:

Holy shit you were running at 3.5774376 m/s.
    Which is 12.8787754 km/h for most people.
    This means it took Rym 23 minutes and 17.6484174036 seconds to run 5 km.

He propelled approximately 72.9695147 kilograms during this period.

Primary school maths in the Google era is too easy.
    How many Teslas is that?
  • My actual best time, to be serious for a moment, is 20:41. That was run relatively recently (this past year): I was never really serious about speed or timekeeping until Emily and I started running races, so I have no real comparison for the rest of my life to this point.

My typical 5k time for a normal rando-run is about 23-24 minutes. My typical 10k time is about 45-50 minutes. That's if I'm just bored and running around outside. Traffic lights, grades, routes, and wind are big factors.

In the summer, I'll run about 20km at once every other Saturday or so, but at a slower pace.
  • edited February 2015
    This spring I'm going to aim to get under 23 minutes once or twice. I always have to train up to an attempt like that, though I can hit 25 flat whenever I feel like it... if its not fucking freezing and I feel like pushing myself in the last kilometer.
    Post edited by Luke Burrage on
  • RymRym
    edited February 2015
    Getting boring. The biggest problem I have six days in is that my left armpit is chafing a little. My times are basically the same as always: 23-24 minutes. Didn't push myself today after bouldering, but easily could have gone far longer or significantly faster.

My knees actually feel better, not worse, as the challenge progresses.

Going to do a 10k tomorrow, and then try to continue with 5ks for the next week after.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Vaseline. Decreases that skin-on-skin friction, if you know what I mean.
  • I think I'll wear a compression shirt tomorrow instead of this tshirt.
  • Running is boring.
  • Run faster, then it's not boring any more.
  • Rym said:

I think I'll wear a compression shirt tomorrow instead of this tshirt.

Loose vest and Vaseline, trust me it will save you so many bloody nipples. No one wants to find part of their nip in the shower.
  • Bloody nipples? da fuq!?