This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

2016 Presidential Election

So Hillary is announcing tomorrow. Still wondering which Democrat will seriously run against her in the primaries.

Comments

• I'm not suggesting anyone shouldn't vote for Hillary, because she's almost definitely going to be the far better of the two candidates with any chance of winning.

That being said, I find it very ironic that one of the reasons this country was created was to get away from Monarchy and the transference of political power based upon bloodlines. Yet, we keep electing Roosevelt, Roosevelt, Bush, Bush, Clinton, Clinton...
  • Oh fuck not this shit. I don't want to hear a goddamn word about this for another 8 months. It's bad enough listening to literally every news station talk about.
  • Oh fuck not this shit. I don't want to hear a goddamn word about this for another 8 months. It's bad enough listening to literally every news station talk about.

As a Canadian, I am super bummed every second there isn't a US election, because it makes up about 90% of my entertainment intake.

2012 was a great year for incredible political lulz with that stellar Republican primary. Moar plz.

As a Canadian, I am super bummed every second there isn't a US election, because it makes up about 90% of my entertainment intake.

2012 was a great year for incredible political lulz with that stellar Republican primary. Moar plz.
    Well if you can get Fox or MSNBC you can play Don Henley while you watch because they both exemplify Dirty Laundry, not to mention with some kind of election happening every two years it's almost a neverending cycle.
  • My thoughts on Hillary announcing she's running: big deal, I'm not voting for her anyway, even outside the primaries.
  • My thoughts on Hillary announcing she's running: big deal, I'm not voting for her anyway, even outside the primaries.

How do you make that decision without knowing who she's up against.
    Is there something that makes her incredibly untrustworthy?
    I mean really aren't you guys just voting for a group of lobbyist represented by a presidential candidate?

• sK0pe said:

My thoughts on Hillary announcing she's running: big deal, I'm not voting for her anyway, even outside the primaries.

I mean really aren't you guys just voting for a group of lobbyist represented by a presidential candidate?

My lobbyists are better than your lobbyists!
  • sK0pe said:

My thoughts on Hillary announcing she's running: big deal, I'm not voting for her anyway, even outside the primaries.

I'm just confused is there a reason to blindly not vote for her, is she the Democratic Sarah Palin?
  • sK0pe said:

sK0pe said:

I'm just confused is there a reason to blindly not vote for her, is she the Democratic Sarah Palin?
    Frankly she's a mud-slinging opportunist who'd just as soon punch a baby as kiss it or steal it's lollipop, then say she has helped the mother by giving her something to do (console the baby), to me, but I'm an evil white male conservative so obviously take that with a grain of salt.

• Frankly she's a mud-slinging opportunist who'd just as soon punch a baby as kiss it or steal it's lollipop, then say she has helped the mother by giving her something to do (console the baby), to me, but I'm an evil white male conservative so obviously take that with a grain of salt.

This statement doesn't make any sense.
  • It this point I'd probably vote for Jesse Venture before I'd vote for anyone who's announced their candidacy so far.
  • Hilliary's launch video. Kind of meh, except, it features a gay couple which'll probably outrage some people.

• 2bfree said:

This statement doesn't make any sense.

I don't think she's an adequate pick for president but I'm of a political affiliation that is often associated with everything wrong with this country so you probably will discount my opinion.

Now I will say I hate old school Republicans, but I'm of the "there ain't no rule" opinion when it comes to personal liberties.
  • It this point I'd probably vote for Jesse Venture before I'd vote for anyone who's announced their candidacy so far.

Ahem.
  • Churba said:

It this point I'd probably vote for Jesse Venture before I'd vote for anyone who's announced their candidacy so far.

Ahem.
    I think you need a shitty youtube video of random people saying things about their lives to appeal to emotion, and maybe some footage of a corn field and a tractor, before you can make it official.
  • sK0pe said:

To be fair, it's not really blind at this point. She's a known quantity.
  • She's more qualified than most of the people running for president (If not all of them). Arguably she's had Presidential experience, Governor experience through Bill (note After Eleanor Roosevelt, Clinton is regarded as the most openly empowered presidential wife in American history) In her own right she's been a Senator (first Female senator elected to New York), Security of State, An Attorney. She's run or been a part of 3 presidential campaigns, 2 Governor campaigns and a Senatorial campaign.

I didn't vote for her in the primary in 2008 but she is more experienced then any of the republican candidates and not really sure there is another Obama out there to screw up her Democratic Primary shot this time. I'll be voting and campaigning for her. My dad will be extremely sad :-p

I'd rather there was a younger more progressive face in the democratic party to vote for but I doubt there will be one. Plus, the Republicans are about to make her out to be the most liberal democratic ever. Should be fun. She's a pragmatic politician with extensive foreign policy experience, I'm sure she'll pick a VP with domestic cred and just the bonus of having some more Bill Clinton is good enough for me :-p
  • Everything Cremlian said.

She's the perfect president for the Democrats. Real change can't come from POTUS: it has to come from congress and state legislatures.

Vote for Hillary (because a GOP president would literally ruin America), but fight for progressives in the state primaries.
  • Cremlian said:

I'd rather there was a younger more progressive face in the democratic party to vote for but I doubt there will be one.

Churba said:
  • Cremlian said:

She's more qualified than most of the people running for president (If not all of them). Arguably she's had Presidential experience, Governor experience through Bill (note After Eleanor Roosevelt, Clinton is regarded as the most openly empowered presidential wife in American history) In her own right she's been a Senator (first Female senator elected to New York), Security of State, An Attorney. She's run or been a part of 3 presidential campaigns, 2 Governor campaigns and a Senatorial campaign.

I didn't vote for her in the primary in 2008 but she is more experienced then any of the republican candidates and not really sure there is another Obama out there to screw up her Democratic Primary shot this time. I'll be voting and campaigning for her. My dad will be extremely sad :-p

I'd rather there was a younger more progressive face in the democratic party to vote for but I doubt there will be one. Plus, the Republicans are about to make her out to be the most liberal democratic ever. Should be fun. She's a pragmatic politician with extensive foreign policy experience, I'm sure she'll pick a VP with domestic cred and just the bonus of having some more Bill Clinton is good enough for me :-p

I don't think anyone can bring her experience into question. It's just the same thing as every single other election. None of the candidates are truly campaigning on a platform of issues we truly believe in. I don't think I've enthusiastically voted for anyone ever.

Just wait for the old people to die, as usual. Same old, same old. Gotta wait at least four more years to have a chance of the world significantly improving.
  • Apreche said:

I find it very ironic that one of the reasons this country was created was to get away from Monarchy and the transference of political power based upon bloodlines.

Hahaha, good joke.
    The Adams political family is connected with U.S. Presidents Millard Fillmore, William Howard Taft, and Calvin Coolidge and U.S. Vice President Dick Cheney, through common descent from one Henry Squire.

Through his mother, John Adams was a second cousin of Massachusetts governor Increase Sumner; their maternal grandmothers were sisters. Both were also related to President Coolidge and to Diana, Princess of Wales, and through the latter to The Duke of Cambridge and Prince Harry.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adams_political_family
    Most famously, this family produced numerous Governors of Virginia (serving during both the Colonial era and after independence), as well as two U.S. Presidents: William Henry Harrison and Benjamin Harrison.

The family has a longer recorded heritage in politics, however. Their earliest notable ancestor is the thirteenth century Baron Robert II de Holland, also an ancestor to James Madison, Thomas Jefferson, George Washington, Ulysses S. Grant, and Winston Churchill.
    By marriage the Harrisons are related to the Lee family, the Washington family, the Tyler family and the Randolph family.
    All the Harrisons up to Benjamin Harrison V are related to King Edward I of England, because of Benjamin Harrison IV's intermarriage with the Carter family.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harrison_family_of_Virginia
  • And of course they're all reptilians ;)
  • sK0pe said:

Doesn't matter who she's up against. I'd sooner leave that slot on the ballot blank than vote for her.

As far as being incredibly untrustworthy... well, she has the stench of the Obama administrations trampling over civil liberties all over her, and that alone disqualifies her in my book.
  • edited April 2015
    I'd argue with Lou, but he lives in a state that couldn't matter less in a presidential election. :-p
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • edited April 2015
    The problem as I see it is that a non vote is still a vote. For every person that doesn't vote the votes that do get counted are more powerful. From my perspective I vote for the person that is the least crazy asshole (ahem Churba. I assume from Apreche's post others do the same on the forum).

So those people that aren't voting for Hillary, who are you going for?
    Post edited by sK0pe on
  • I'd vote for Elizabeth Warren
  • Andrew said:

I'd vote for Elizabeth Warren

Convince her to run.
  • @Cremlian Agreed, not voting is a defacto vote for the winner. Life is about making choices from imperfect options.

I always found it strange that people expect any major candidate representing millions of people to match up perfectly with their views.
  • 2bfree said:

@Cremlian Agreed, not voting is a defacto vote for the winner. Life is about making choices from imperfect options.

I always found it strange that people expect any major candidate representing millions of people to match up perfectly with their views.

I don't think it's about matching perfectly with anything, it's about matching at all. When every politician is a career liar with no demonstrable integrity or character, it really sours people on the whole thing. There's also the complete lack of representation and devaluation of votes outside certain areas, meaning that even if I do vote, it means nothing at all.