This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Today I Learned...

Comments

• Yesterday I was sent €400 for one of my videos on YouTube. Thankfully it was from a licensing deal and nothing to do with YouTube ads or affiliates or anything like that.
  • House votes to ban Internet access taxes http://circanews.com/s/yT7

Seems like a good thing?
  • TIL there is a third type of bike tube valve, the dunlop valve.

• Apreche said:

TIL there is a third type of bike tube valve, the dunlop valve.

You saw that comic on r/bicycling too?
  • malzraa said:

Apreche said:

You saw that comic on r/bicycling too?
    Yes.
  • Contacts tend to change without notice if they are somehow managed by more than 4 sales people.
  • Apreche said:

TIL the weakest point of the bicycle rim is the hole where the valve stem comes through.
  • Dazzle369 said:

Also if you're fat, the floor is lava

• These Nickelodeon shows used to really creep me out. Even Rugrats. Good times.
  • Canadian commission grapples with abuse of indigenous communities http://circanews.com/s/zv4

TIL Canada has some bad stuff in it's past.
  • That the newest version of Sorry changed some of the rules around from the version I grew up with, and the changes make it much more enjoyable. Still not an actual game really since it's still mostly luck, but more decisions to make and less tedium.
  • That almost everything creative on the internet related to Splatoon is cute and funny. I enjoy the creative fallout even though I've never played the thing.
  • Failed Kickstarter boardgame creator settles with FTC over refunds http://circanews.com/s/tjY

Seems like it may become legally actionable if you fail to deliver on crowdfunding promises.
  • Not sure this is a good thing. I wouldn't expect all kickstarters I support to pan out.
  • Sounds like its more to keep people from making a kickstarter just to take the money and run, rather than campaigns that fail because of poor planning or otherwise don't pan out.
  • Today I realized that the vietnam war lasted almost 20 years. I always thought it was much shorter.
  • Today I learned the Federal reserve has a "Doomsday's book" filled with legal opinions on the nature and extent of their power during a crisis. I'm curious as to what is in there that is so important that they don't want it known.
  • chaosof99 said:

Today I realised that the Vietnam war lasted almost 20 years. I always thought it was much shorter.

Its quiet surprising how long it did go on for. I guess some people will quibble of when it actually started. Was it when "advisors" were sent in, front line troops, America taking control of the country, that sort of stuff.

Also Magna Carta was 800 years ago, which is a fair old crack.
  • It appears that someone else is doing the mappu g of the paces that you have been now. Map my run
  • Amp said:

Also Magna Carta was 800 years ago, which is a fair old crack.

• Thats pretty much it. It does cause a tickle when people think it was motivated for the common man. Basically a bunch of angry nobles who were sick of tax trying to curtail the power of the guy in charge...or have I got mixed up with US politics again.
  • TIL Of the black hole that is the warhammer wikipedia...
  • That the "Confederate flag" wasn't actually the Flag of the Confederate States: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flags_of_the_Confederate_States_of_America
  • I learned that Virginia has a state holiday celebrating the birth of two Confederate generals: Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson.

I also learned that this holiday used to be celebrated alongside Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, but now it's observed on the Friday before MLK Day..
  • Wyatt said:

That the "Confederate flag" wasn't actually the Flag of the Confederate States: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flags_of_the_Confederate_States_of_America

• All this talk of confederate flags made me remember my visit to Austin in 2006 or 2007. Walking around the university campus, I thought I was going crazy. First the guy I was with pointed out a tower that was most famous for a sniper killing spree. Then I noticed some of the statues were of confederate war heroes and leaders.

Coming from Berlin, this struck me as very weird. In this city the statues all mean a lot, so are uncovered or covered or moved or replaced or put in museums or destroyed or rebuilt for all kinds of reasons, but mostly to show the world that the city has moved on from its troubled past (many phases of troubled past in Berlin!)

At the time I didn't understand how clear a message Texas was sending to me, but now I do.
  • Mike Judge has a bachelors in Physics from UC San Diego and was a software developer for a few years outside of college. Also started a Masters degree for a bit.
  • I managed to make a very simple overlay appear on top of a video in premere pro, now I need to Make a banner that looks nice, add several text to it, get all the clips together for my pop music retrospective and make a video.

If you don't hear from me I managed to get into the R zone, send help.
  • This R Zone?