This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What language should one learn?

13»

Comments

• I'm currently taking Spanish, but, I gotta tell you, I'm not loving it. I'm gonna take Japanese next semester and the two semesters after that so that I can apply to study abroad.
  • I took Spanish for 6 years and I still suck at it. Glad to be over with that.
  • Six years, jeezy creezy!
  • If anyone decides to learn Latin or Ancient Greek, don't.
  • edited September 2008
    But what if you are in a petrol station in the middle of the night and some unsavory characters accost you?
    You go "Amo Amas Amat!" and they'll go "Holy fuck, he knows Latin!"

...They'll know not to mess with you then.

Actually, I took Latin for 4 years, my sister took it for 6. It really helps build your English Vocabulary, actually.
    My girlfriend is teaching me Korean, it's extremely difficult as you can imagine but its an incredibly beautiful language, and a lot of fun to speak.
    Hangul alphabet is the best alphabet EVAH, oh yeah!
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • You go "Amo Amas Amat!" and they'll go "Holy fuck, he knows Latin!"
    Actually, I think they'll think you're a Mexican and beat you up even more.
    It really helps build your English Vocabulary, actually.
    DAMNIT! Why do I get told that now? >:| I could use some more big words in my English vocabulary.
  • Actually, I think they'll think you're a Mexican and beat you up even more.
    It's actually an Eddie Izzard bit :D.
  • Actually, I took Latin for 4 years, my sister took it for 6. It really helps build your English Vocabulary, actually.
    I to took Latin for 6 years and Ancient Greek for 4 years, and am actually still taking them for another 2.
    The one thing Latin helped me with was understanding how languages work. But having to keep remembering 2000 basic vocabularies from a dead language was/ is really annoying and frustrating.

Help build vocabulary? Latin didn't really help me increase my English vocabulary, but it was a lot easier to learn Latin vocabulary being able to speak English.

I love, you love, he/ she/ it loves? Really? ^^
  • It's actually an Eddie Izzard bit :D.
    o:? Who's that? *flees from thrown objects*
  • Latin accent

Covered in Bees
  • Darth Vadar gets pissed off in the cafeteria
  • edited September 2008
    That was pretty funny. Not ROFL funny, but lol funny.
    Aah I have to correct this statement after the Death Star Canteen. I have seen that before,
    and that is ROFL funny.
    Post edited by sucrilhos on
  • That's it. I'm learning Hangul, dammit.