This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Art Attack! Part II: The Revenge of the Finished Pieces!

Comments

• Funfetus, I would like to hear more about this one and the one with the politician being assassinated. They look equally awesome.
  • At times like this I look over at my doodling and it doesn't look as awesome as it once was.
  • At times like this I look over at my doodling and it doesn't look as awesome as it once was.
    Don't be like that. I think the Internet does terrible things to one's self esteem at times. I started drawing when I was four years old. I had no one to compare myself to back then. All I had was a lot of caring relatives tell me I was awesome. So, I believed it and drawing became pleasurable. I liked drawing and I kept at it for the rest of my life. I'm still not the great artist I want to be. I would like to post some stuff here because I want good and honest opinions from people. To be honest, your post is the reason why I don't post art here that often... that and well, I get lazy. Anyway, I'd rather inspire you then put you down and I'm sure that's the case with other people. If you see something you like, learn from it and make your doodling more awesome.
    Uhh... or maybe I read too much into that last comment. What ever, just don't put yourself down! Fight the good fight!
  • edited October 2008

Character from the comic; Lenix. From a small civilisation that are incredibly religious because the priests use ancient advanced tech to appear as if they preform miracles. Lenix is a sceptic and not very well liked in his place of residence. His people, because they're also closed off in a citadel-esque environment, have only 4 digits on each hand through selective breeding (their deity only has 4 digits, it seemed more holy).
    Post edited by Norvu on

Logo for a radio show in Miami, FL.
  • Logo for a radio show in Miami, FL.
    Looks awesome.
  • edited October 2008
    I like how it just takes one post once in a while to get this thread going again.
    At times like this I look over at my doodling and it doesn't look as awesome as it once was.
    Don't be like that. I think the Internet does terrible things to one's self esteem at times.
    Seriously. There's always going to be someone better, no matter what you're doing. A lot of it just comes down to how much of a priority that thing is. If you draw an hour a week, you're not going to get as good as someone who draws 10 hours a day. If you like drawing that hour a week, then it doesn't matter.
    There are a lot of artists that are so good that it's either incredibly inspiring to me, or crushingly intimidating, depending on my mood. (She's a prime example.) In my opinion, best thing to do is not worry about how you compare to others -- just worry about how you compare to yourself last year, or last month, or yesterday. As long as you're continuing to put in the time and effort, you'll get where you want to be.
    And I hope I'm not reading too much into that post too. :)
    Do you have any idea as to when this comic is getting released? I really want to read it.
    From what I hear, it'll be solicited as soon as I finish the next issue, so a month or two? I don't know how long after that it takes to actually come out.
    Funfetus, I would like to hear more about this one and the one with the politician being assassinated. They look equally awesome.
    Thanks. They're the same book. That one was from issue 1, this is from issue 2.
    Character from the comic; Lenix.
    Let's get some comic already! I'm looking forward to it.
    I would work on it at home but I need Adobe Illustrator,
    You could try Inkscape, which is free. Or maybe you could get an educational version of Illustrator. Or, ahem, other ways. Anyway, post when you're finished, I'd like to see where it goes.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • Logo for a radio show in Miami, FL.
    Looks awesome.
    Thanks!
  • Funfetus: You said it so well!! It's good for me to hear too.
    Norvu: Nice. Keep at it.
    Cielmort: Interesting looking. I really like what you have going in that image. Just two things. I don't understand the purpose of the drop shadow and the inner shadow around it (edges). The other thing I have to say is, how is that a logo?
    Ok, it's been a while since I posted something. Here's some stuff.These are sketch book pages that I scanned for another forum.
    Here's a painting I started based on a dream I had. It's weird. I had worms in my feet and I let the birds pick them out. It tickled. I started painting this spontaneously. I don't feel it has a strong structure. I decided to avoid doing spontaneous art and expect a great piece to come out.
  • Mankoon -- wow -- really cool stuff. I really like your character designs. Are those just sort of one-off sketches, or are these characters you've developed? When I'm just screwing around, I mostly end up drawing really generic naked people, or really generic clothed people. Yours have all kinds of character.

I like the painting, too. Despite your misgivings, I think it's pretty solid. The one thing that's bothering me is that her (your?) shoulder is practically glowing. Otherwise, I really like it, and I've love to see it finished.

I miss working in color -- I'll get back that some day.
  • EWWWWWWWWWWWW! X_x Why is her foot infested with worms. God that's gross, gross looking and makes me cringe. It looks that painfully realistic if you ask me.
  • Funfetus: thanks. These are one off sketches. When I do these it's usually just a combination of stuff I like to draw. Like army pants of women, Crazy looking guy I never thought of drawing before and anatomy. However, that bad ass clown... I want to draw him more. I think he's awesome.
    Thank you so much for the comment on the painting. It's not really "me" in there , there is no attempt at a likeness. I'll tone down the shoulder, I didn't realize it was too bright. Thanks. You might miss working in color but your comic work is VERY solid. You have a focus now and I think that's excellent. I need focus now that I left my job.

MFE: That's good. I'm glad it made you feel that way. It's Not that I want you to feel sick, you know. It's a great complement. =)
  • Like army pants of women, Crazy looking guy I never thought of drawing before and anatomy. However, that bad ass clown... I want to draw him more. I think he's awesome.
    I like drawing army pants, too. I'm gonna draw some on some women tonight. :) The clown guy is awesome. You know, some of these things have a kind of Evel Knievil vibe, with the stars on the pants and whatnot. I like when there's kind of a unified visual statement like that.
    You might miss working in color but your comic work is VERY solid. You have a focus now and I think that's excellent.
    Thanks. Yeah, I'm focusing hard. Before I started doing comics, I wanted to do concept art, and I did a lot of color stuff. Once I'm able to quit my real job, I'll have the time to start experimenting with color again, but right now, yeah, laser focus on linework and storytelling.

By the way, have you ever read Andrew Loomis' books? They're all solid gold, but I think his book Creative Illustration in particular would help a lot with your painting. The chapters on value and color are incredible.
  • edited October 2008
    I like drawing army pants, too. I'm gonna draw some on some women tonight. :) The clown guy is awesome. You know, some of these things have a kind of Evel Knievil vibe, with the stars on the pants and whatnot. I like when there's kind of a unified visual statement like that.
    I hope to see some ladies from you, heehee! About the star thing... I must have a thing for stars. I put a star on this girl I just drew. I think it's a way for me to add flavor to a drawing. Kinda like adding salt to food.
    Thanks. Yeah, I'm focusing hard. Before I started doing comics, I wanted to do concept art, and I did a lot of color stuff. Once I'm able to quit my real job, I'll have the time to start experimenting with color again, but right now, yeah, laser focus on linework and storytelling.
    I think I'm at that point that you are talking about. I just left my job and I'm trying to work out the art muscle. I've decided to draw as much as possible to figure out what I want as a career. It's either concept art, illustration or comics, I think.
    By the way, have you ever readAndrew Loomis'books?
    Thanks a ton for the Andrew Loomis links. I barely have any formal training in art. I'm going to check it out. I hope I get the knowledge I've been looking so hard for.

...and more drawings.
    Post edited by Mankoon on
  • Is that one girl pulling a rabbit out of her pants?
    YES. IT'S MAGIC!
    YES. IT'S MAGIC!
    Not to mention suggestive. Wasn't there a DS game along those lines?
  • Gomi does not want to be in there!
  • YES. IT'S MAGIC!
    A prostitute magician, huh? She should be a Preacher character.
  • Was that bunny where I think it was. O_O!
  • Günter: It's just a drawing for fun. Was there a DS game about rabbit in the pants? Crazy talk.
    Gomi: I knew you'd say that! Don't worry, it's just a strange place to have a warp hole but it works the same as a magical top hat!! On the other end, carrots galore! I promise!
    Bear Police: Haha. So just because she's got magic in her pants she's automatically a prostitute? Did you ever think that she might be the type to go to animal testing facilities and save all the animals from the lab? She can't help that the endless void is in her pants. She might try to make the best of it in a non sexual way. Or maybe I should just go read Preacher. XD
    Viga: Who knows where that bunny was!
  • I have some arts.

Here's an Utena picture I sold at Otakon.

Here's a Blood Knight from World of Warcraft, drawn for a friend. I should probably ink and color it.
  • Hey uglyfred:
    Nice stuff. I think your figures are strong and well drawn. Your line art is really clean. I think the only thing that bothers me is that Utena's eyes are a little far apart. So just look out for that in the future. It's really cute how girly they are.^^
  • Mankoon -- really, really cool drawings. Did you leave your job to make a go at doing art full time? Good luck! That's awesome. (If that's not the case, good luck anyway.) I'm hoping to be able to quit my job within the year.
    So I drew an army-pants girl. I'm pretty pleased with it, but I definitely need to brush up on my drapery. I just realized she has a beanie like your rabbit-pants girl. That must've gotten into my head.
    The Loomis books are amazing. He was from the golden age of American illustration, when motherfuckers really knew how to draw. He's not as famous as guys like Rockwell and Leyendecker and Cornwell, but the books he wrote are the bibles of illustration. They've all been out of print for decades, so the PDFs are all you can get, unless you want to spend hundreds of dollars on used copies.
    I feel you on having little formal education. I've only got one figure drawing class and one painting class under my belt. But I think if you're motivated, there are enough books and resources on the internet to teach you everything you need.

UglyFred -- that's some pretty solid stuff. I agree with Mankoon -- very clean lines. Are you tracing these on a fresh sheet, over your construction?
  • edited October 2008
    Awww yea, beanies and army pants... and converse sneakers! They must be buddies. I love how inspiration works that way. I hope other people join in if they want to. About the job I quit, It was a full time art job. I just got incredibly bored with it because it was no longer challenging. It was a great 4.5 years but the first few were way better then the last. Now the place closed operations so, all i did was get out early. I'm trying to advance my skills during this dead time. I joined concept art again to swallow my pride. I saw that you have a sketchbook there! I will follow it and try to give you a good crit! You have some awesome stuff in there. I saw that you posted on Agelaos' sketchbook. He's a friend of mine from an old indy game forum. Small world! As for Loomis, I haven't gotten the chance to look through it yet but I love that period of illustration. Here's a nice link:
    http://todaysinspiration.blogspot.com/
    I hope people find that enjoyable. I love the combination of Type and Illustration in some of these pieces of art.
    Post edited by Mankoon on
  • edited October 2008
    Cielmort: Interesting looking. I really like what you have going in that image. Just two things. I don't understand the purpose of the drop shadow and the inner shadow around it (edges). The other thing I have to say is, how is that a logo?
    Well, that's the big version of the image, I made it less complicated in the small version, which I don't have at the moment. The gradient around edges was part of the original design, it had some elements that the client was not happy about, I removed it on the spot and he told me to leave it that way, so I did.

Either way, he liked the final design, and I was paid.
    Post edited by La Petit Mort on
  • edited October 2008
    Thanks, Mankoon and Funfetus! No, I don't trace over my construction and sketchy bits, though that's a good idea that I'd probably adopt if I had a light box. I just take a lot of care to erase and clean up my lines. Also, in case I didn't say it before, both of you are amazing artists.

@ Mankoon: Thanks for the suggestion on the Utena picture. Luckily that can be fixed pretty easily in Photoshop! :)
    Post edited by Johannes Uglyfred II on
  • though that's a good idea that I'd probably adopt if I had a light box
    You can use my lightbox. Benjamin Hikaru hasn't been getting any love since I started doing all my animation on the computer.
  • Uglyfred: No problem, I'm at your service.
    Cielmort: Congrats on finishing the job!
    Yesterday's drawings. No more rabbit in the pants.
    I hope that I'm inspiring you and not spamming you >.<.
  • I hope that I'm inspiring you and not spamming you >.<.</p>
    You are supposed to be posting finished pieces of art here, and as far as I see, that's what you are doing. That, and spam consists 99% of the time out of the words 'penis' and 'enlargement', so don't worry.

I love the pencil shading, you're very good at that.
    I barely have any formal training in art.
    And yet you make such awesome drawings!