This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Art Attack! Part II: The Revenge of the Finished Pieces!

Comments

• I've seen a lot of cool art in here, and thought I'd post some of my own. :)

"Wish You Were Here," Sketched in pencil and then finished up in photoshop. This is essentially a self portrait, though a rather informal one.

A drawing from a few years ago, and the finished work was done in April. It's a bit too sharp in some areas, and too blurry in others. This work was pretty much practice with coloring via photoshop.

A photograph of a friend that I drew over the top of. all of the digital art was done completely in MS paint, and though its pretty old, I'm to this day very proud of it.

A sketch of an eye in pencil, that I cleaned up a bit it photoshop- The shading on the right half is so much better in real life. You can blame my scanner for that.
  • The third image is probably your strongest. I'm impressed that you pulled that sort of detail off in MS paint as well! Working from a reference also helped you get everything in proportion. I would try working at higher resolutions so that your images don't get blurry or pixely. It would help on your first and second images in particular.
  • The third image is probably your strongest. I'm impressed that you pulled that sort of detail off in MS paint as well! Working from a reference also helped you get everything in proportion. I would try working at higher resolutions so that your images don't get blurry or pixely. It would help on your first and second images in particular.
    Why thank you! The third piece has been featured at two local art shows in the past year. Working in paint isn't difficult, just time consuming. If you're good enough at placing the pixels, you can get quite a lot of detail. A while ago I tried to do a similar work that was even more involved. I might go back to it, sometime.

I'll try to keep in mind the resolution I'm working in next time I work in Photoshop. Thanks!
  • Hey Wings, I'm glad you decided to your art here. I agree with Mr.Macross, higher resolution would help the first two. Do you have a scanner? My best pieces of art were sketched in pencil first then scanned and finished in Photoshop. Just wondering, really.
  • Hey Wings, I'm glad you decided to your art here. I agree with Mr.Macross, higher resolution would help the first two. Do you have a scanner? My best pieces of art were sketched in pencil first then scanned and finished in Photoshop. Just wondering, really.
    I do have a scanner, which I use often, but its not the highest of quality- And I don't have a tablet or anything of the sort either, to fix up lines and such. It's really a pain with the mouse, even though I'm in love with the pen tool...
    A character from this one guy's story that he asked me to draw.
  • Very nice, Gomidog. I like the texture on the jeans.
  • Nice work, you've got the proportions spot on.
    Potential improvement: Unless the rear end of the staff is very heavy, the hand isn't gripping it realistically, just photoshop the thumb closer and it should look ok.
  • A character from this one guy's story that he asked me to draw.
    Is the story a cyberpunk journey to the west?
  • I don't know. I didn't read it.
  • His staff is plexiglass; Not the best choice of material, in my opinion.
  • His staff is plexiglass; Not the best choice of material, in my opinion.
    It's Sci-Fi, materials just do what you want.
  • Is the story a cyberpunk journey to the west?
    I hope so, because that would be awesome (if it's written well).
  • Wow, that looks great! I especially love the folds in the fabric. It's something I have trouble with, and you've done them beautifully. Also, very smooth painting too- Whats your method?
  • edited October 2008
    This is what I have so far, I just stared the brush details. I hope to have it done by the end of the month.
    Cyber Cover
    Photo bucket screwed up the border, it's suppose a purple similar to the visor. I never would of been able to do this with a questionable copy of Illustrator and Photoshop.

Eventually I'll add corrugated like tubing to some of the wires and so on. I have a lot of work ahead of me. Any pointers or positive critique would be much appreciated, I'm just a self taught Photoshop artist and took a few classes in school, mostly ceramics.

The only other problem is that my WACOM tablet doesn't seem to like doing pressure sensitive stuff in CS3, so my brushing has been weird.

In the words of Johnathan 'Scabs' Scabula, "The blur tool is your best friend."
    Post edited by CHOIS CHOIS CHOIS on
  • Wow, that looks great! I especially love the folds in the fabric. It's something I have trouble with, and you've done them beautifully. Also, very smooth painting too- Whats your method?
    It's really fast. I do a solid color fill layer (Light blue with the jeans), drop my brush opacity down to about 25 percent, choose a darker color, make a new layer, and paint in the shadows, putting more strokes where I want the color to be darker. Then I use the smudge tool to push the shadows around, make them look like they are blended with the fill layer. Once I am satisfied, I make a copy of my fill layer, hide it (just in case I screw up) and merge my shadow layer onto the original fill layer. From there, all you need to do is poke at it until is looks good to you, maybe painting in highlights and deeper shadows in certain parts.
    It's really fast. I do a solid color fill layer (Light blue with the jeans), drop my brush opacity down to about 25 percent, choose a darker color, make a new layer, and paint in the shadows, putting more strokes where I want the color to be darker. Then I use the smudge tool to push the shadows around, make them look like they are blended with the fill layer. Once I am satisfied, I make a copy of my fill layer, hide it (just in case I screw up) and merge my shadow layer onto the original fill layer. From there, all you need to do is poke at it until is looks good to you, maybe painting in highlights and deeper shadows in certain parts.
    Good advice! I've dabbled in a little bit of painting myself, but since I don't have a tablet, it was slow going. Mostly just painting back and forth over it until I had a nice blend was what I did. I found a really good painting tutorial on youtube, in fact, from this amazing painter... I wish I could remember his name right now...
  • [Gomi's coloring techniques]
    Care to share in the tutorial thread?
  • It's going a little better for me. I figured out that I had to change the pressure sensitivity in the preferences for the WACOM tablet.

My next question is, how do I change the brush options? I'm new to CS3 and in Elements, I was use to being able to do custom stuff with the brush when using a tablet. Such as more pressure = bigger diameter or more opacity.
  • CS3 Screenshot <-- See the options to the left of the minimap? The fourth one down is pain brushes in a cup, click on that.
  • CS3 Screenshot<-- See the options to the left of the minimap? The fourth one down is pain brushes in a cup, click on that.</p>
    OOOOOOOHHHH.... thanks for the help.

But to more urgent matters, who is the Girl?
  • edited October 2008

Dude, Morio-kun, you are obsessed with girls. You are like the straight male equivalent of boy-crazy. You are girl-crazy.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • edited October 2008
    I just done a google image search for "Photoshop CS3". Sorry =P can't help there.
    Post edited by Norvu on

• But to more urgent matters, who is the Girl?
    Dude, Morio-kun, you are obsessed with girls. You are like the straight male equivalent of boy-crazy. You are girl-crazy.
    Someone once used the phrase "hyper-hetero" to describe this behavior.
  • Can we post songs too? I don't want to make a new thread every time I make one.

Anyway, here.
  • edited October 2008
    Funfetus: your art is amazing!
    Mankoon: that is simply beautiful. I love the expression you give to scrym.
    I'm not quite sure if my piece fits in this thread. Since Mankoon submitted an animation, here is a little stop motion fun:

or go here:

http://blip.tv/file/1370371
    Post edited by ladyobsolete on
  • edited October 2008
    I'm pretty late to the party here. Hi! I'm also doing comic books, but I feel pretty uncomfortable about sharing the pages until the whole thing's printed. :/ (I never talked it over with my editor and I don't know if I could get into trouble..?) In the meantime, I don't have much comic art that isn't related to stuff that I'm doing other than my small webcomic, which doesn't have especially stunning art to it. And I don't have the chance to finish art much these days.

Funfetus - Your inks are awesome! :D It was cool going through the whole thread and looking at your stuff.

Er, here's some small things I've done for fun recently:

[edit] You can see more of my art at my livejournal, I mean, if you're into that kind of thing.
    Post edited by Aido on
  • Er, here's some small things I've done for fun recently:
    This reminds me of The Dangerous Alphabet by Neil Gaiman and Gris Grimly. Regardless, very nice work.
  • edited October 2008

Man, I have never seen your art before but it is totally awesome. I am super unbiased. Seriously. Although the lady who drew my icon is better, I think.

Also, Mankoon and Funfetus, awesome stuff!
    Post edited by ananthymous on
  • Okay, my turn.
    image If I wasn't too lazy to remember how to make alt-text, I would.

I think I posted this one before, but whatever.