This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Booh yah!

Comments

• Whoa, Cosmicenema. That is awesome and congratulations.
  • I don't snore any more (the wife loves that). My body doesn't hurt. I have more energy because I sleep better. The biggest one is the way people act and talk around me. 'Oh gosh I'm so fat' comments are common in small talk and I never really realized it before. It's kind of sad but I really feel more respected in many situations. The social currency of being not-fat is subtle but significant.
    Yeah, it's amazing how much better your health noticeably improves. I had sleep apnea, but I lost weight and I no longer have that issue.

It is a bit of a sad reality that skinnier people get more respect than heavier people, but it's the way of the world, I guess. :/

I will say that even though you're married, I bet women look at you in a different way. ^_~
  • edited February 2009
    I will say that even though you're married, I bet women look at you in a different way. ^_~
    Hell, my wife looks at me a little differently!
    Post edited by cosmicenema on
  • Congrats, that's a great thing for you're self-esteem too, I bet!
  • That is great for your health. Good call. As for the aesthetics, it is neither here nor there to me.
    I am always glad when people make healthy choices, but to congratulate people on being thin is kinda fucked up, in my opinion.
  • No one congratulated him on being a tooth pick.
  • It is a bit of a sad reality that skinnier people get more respect than heavier people, but it's the way of the world, I guess.
    What? Why should one give equal respect to someone who doesn't take care of their body than someone who does take care of their body? Do you not look down upon the awfully smelling nerd?
    I am always glad when people make healthy choices, but to congratulate people on being thin is kinda fucked up, in my opinion.
    It most certainly is fucked up.

Cosmicenema, now go out and tell your colleagues to shape up since:
    'Oh gosh I'm so fat' comments are common in small talk
    is NOT normal talk. It's even more fucked up than congratulating someone on living more healthy.
  • I am always glad when people make healthy choices, but to congratulate people on being thin is kinda fucked up, in my opinion.
    It most certainly is fucked up.
    How is it wrong to congratulate people for achieving something they've tried for?
  • I don't know what to say to the last few comments on here. Way to turn an incredible achievement made by a fellow forum-goer into crap.

Nine, I really don't want to hear anymore from you.

I just want to say, that this strikes a very personal chord to me being a person who was morbidly obese with a ton of health issues that lost a lot of weight and is healthier for it. I've gained some weight back and am continuing to stay healthy and try to lose weight.

I was only posting here to congratulate cosmicenema for achieving a goal he set for himself that I can relate to.

This is one of the only forums and things on the internet I frequent a lot and find a lot of enjoyment from. However, from things like this, it makes me wonder if it's really worth reading or posting at times.
  • How is it wrong to congratulate people for achieving something they've tried for?
    You are not born with a weight of over 300 pounds. There are two ways to get to that, live unhealthy, or live healthy and exercise a ton. In the former case you will become fat, in the latter case, you are ripped. Being ripped does not result in a picture like that before one (it results in a different ridiculous image but that's besides the point).

Would you congratulate someone for fixing a problem they caused themselves that wouldn't have otherwise existed? No, you would reconsider firing him on the spot.
  • Ok Nineless, think whatever you want.
  • Ok Nineless, think whatever you want.
    Yes, I'll damn well have the opinions I want to have. Not controlling your weight and thus causing yourself all sorts of nasty health problems is your own fault. In the same way that destroying your brains with drugs, or tarring up your entire lungs, or drinking your liver to a fucking waste is your own damned fault. If you fix it, good for you, but that does not mean that one shouldn't look at the truth that you got yourself into the mess yourself.
  • You are not born with a weight of over 300 pounds.
    Are you sure about this? Babies aren't typically 300 lbs?

So are you saying I don't fight any genetics here? When I was 16 I reached my full height at 6'2" and weight 220 lbs. That means I've quite literally never been as skinny as I am now. I've always been big. Everyone in my family is big. We all fight with our weight. I have this affliction where I can be full to the point of hurting and still be hungry. I've had to make somewhat unreasonable changes to my lifestyle to achieve a situation where I look normal but will always suffer hunger. Regardless whether you argue nature or nurture in my case, it's isn't really something I chose to cause to myself. I was fat before I was ever an adult.

On the other hand, people with these opinions are one of the many reasons I'm motivated to maintain this weight and choose to loose it. When I started this about a year ago, I remember listening to Rym and Scott rant about fat people voicing similar opinions and I realized that it'd be worth it to change myself in this way. As I mentioned before, I'm treated differently now. Skinny people are paid better, they're treated better, and generally respected more than fat people. I think this is silly but it affects my life so I do what I can to succeed.
    Would you congratulate someone for fixing a problem they caused themselves that wouldn't have otherwise existed? No, you would reconsider firing him on the spot.
    I've had people working for me make some phenomenal mistakes that cost real world dollars. I've never let someone go for this. Interestingly, no one is born perfect and we all have opportunity for growth. It's when you don't strive to improve in your life or your job that there's a problem. I'm not asking to be coddled (though I appreciate the support Ro) and you've offered little useful criticism. If you ever have someone working for you make a mistake, I hope you recognize that you have an opportunity to support and foster growth before you jump to a judgment such as that.
  • edited February 2009
    Erm.. Cosmic, Nineless is just being Nineless. He's always like that.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I'll just say that there is a big hole in Nine's case. What about people who become obese because of a disease that makes them bedridden? You didn't mention that. And in that case, if you would still look down upon that person, you honestly should get shit-beaten. That would be like making fun of someone because they have a birth defect, and live with only one and a half arms, instead of two.
  • So are you saying I don't fight any genetics here?
    For 80% at least, yes. It is perfectly possible that a person has such genetics that their body will grow to be heavier than normal (or the other way around, lighter than normal). Being heavier than normal is however not the same as being fat. Unhealthily fat at that. And sure, I will agree that there might be a smaller group of people in this first group that have genetics that result in them being unhealthily obese, but you will not be able to make me agree without solid evidence that more than 1 in 4 people in the US falls in that very small group. As for nurture, okay, I will have less respect for the parents that stuff their children full with crap and/or don't live healthily as an example, however, you just proved yourself that in your case you can obtain a healthier weight and lifestyle in a year. Unless you just past the 19 years mark, you could've done this much sooner. We're purposefully and completely ignoring the fact that a 14 year old can very well make decisions for themselves in regards to living healthy or not for now though.
    I've had people working for me make some phenomenal mistakes that cost real world dollars. I've never let someone go for this. Interestingly, no one is born perfect and we all have opportunity for growth.
    On hindsight I should've emphasized that said caused problem was a fatal problem. I hoped this would be clear since this is a discussion about health. So don't worry, I meant to give an extreme example since you can kill yourself by living unhealthily. My apologies for any confusion.
    Skinny people with a healthy weight are paid better
    While this is borked, I do understand why that is though, fat people having larger health risks than non-fat people.
    they're treated better, and generally respected more than fat people.
    Well yeah, they are treated better because they are respected more. If only because they don't lose respect for being fat. Of course there is also the fat+indignant group.

I find it funny how you've grown to call everyone who is either slim, fit or actually skinny, skinny. If you are at a healthy weight, you are not skinny. You are skinny when you have a weight below healthy. Anorexics are skinny. There, have that for some useful criticism. Also, have my congratulations for having the will to live healthily. None for losing that dead weight though. ;)
  • I'll just say that there is a big hole in Nine's case. What about people who become obese because of a disease that makes them bedridden? You didn't mention that. And in that case, if you would still look down upon that person, you honestly should get shit-beaten. That would be like making fun of someone because they have a birth defect, and live with only one and a half arms, instead of two.
    I had ignored such cases because they don't apply to the demographic I was talking about. Also, count the number of lines concerning this topic I wrote before your post. Two small paragraphs and two lines. It is not possible to properly convey an opinion on every side of the die you are pointing out. I was speaking about people who live unhealthily.

To lessen your worries about me being the demonic reincarnation of Bob: I had a classmate in high school who got leukaemia for the second time in his life when he started high school. He appeared slightly bigger than average, nothing crazy like you see in the US, he just had a chubby appearance. He also lost all his hair at one point (which grew back somewhat over time). He has also passed away since then, before finishing high school, before having a girlfriend, before having become an adult in terms of age. We all respected him for the awesome person he was.

I hope that it is clear from my other posts which kind of person I have less respect for.
  • My game show "The Yaoi-ing Game" Was a big success at Katsucon. I had a line for it! My first line WHOOOO!

All the segments were well received and it seems I might need more time or to cut it down. Everyone came up to me through the con saying how awesome and hilarious it and I was.

I think my best niche in entertaining at a convention is game shows. I did two of them before and it was more attended and I was more relaxed doing them. I wont stop doing the video and info panels though.
  • Video? What is this Yaoi-ing game?
  • A game show about Yaoi. Yaoi trivia, Yaoi facts...
  • Oh, not some kind of makeover show then.
  • Oh, not some kind of makeover show then.
    Hmmm. I could see a Cosplay Eye for the Otaku Guy panel. I'm not a cosplayer though. :P
  • Eight days 'till my internet friend of 5 years moves within 20 minutes of me.
    Hilarity in HD shall ensue.
  • Did the fangirls go....

......YAAAAAOOOOOIIIIIIII!
  • I'm back in Berlin! Yay!

But fuck me, it's FUCK! Kenya to Berlin in 24 hours isn't doing my internal thermostat any good.
  • Did the fangirls go....

......YAAAAAOOOOOIIIIIIII!
    I made them go YAAAAAAAOOOOOOIIIIII!

I now crown myself the Fujoshi Fuhrer.
  • I'm back in Berlin! Yay!

But fuck me, it's FUCK! Kenya to Berlin in 24 hours isn't doing my internal thermostat any good.
    Try Saudi -> Berlin. ^_~
  • edited March 2009
    Finished my first Game Idea a Week post! Developing Settlements in MMORPGs.
    Please note: This is the first really long article I've written. The ones that follow will show steady improvement.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Found a place with a good free comic font!

Also, I just toned page 5 and I feel like I accomplished something.