This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 090319 - Baseball

edited March 2009 in GeekNights
Tonight on GeekNights we discuss the sport of baseball. Also, we announce that we are doing a live call-in show via ustream on Wednesday April 1st. Follow GeekNights on Twitter or Suffice to Say to stay in the loop. Also here is the photo we mentioned in the show.

Scott's Thing - BrushAndRinse
Rym's Thing - Nothing Lasts Forever

Comments

• And now, that starts me wondering what kind of April fools prank they are going to pull on people who call in.
  • And now, that starts me wondering what kind of April fools prank they are going to pull on people who call in.
    Actually, from the April Fool's episode, they said they're not big on internet april fool's pranks.
    Actually, from the April Fool's episode, they said they're not big on internet april fool's pranks.
    Doesn't mean they wouldn't do it. That's the first thing I thought of when I saw April 1st.
  • Is it sad that I don't make that connection? I just care so little about April Fools Day that I usually don't make the connection until someone mentions it. I don't know why, I guess it just hasn't been that big of a deal in my life at all.

Cool beans about the live show, though.
  • edited March 2009
    That photo of Richard Lindon is... mesmerizing. (sexually)

Also, I love the fact that Scrym can't talk about ball games for an extended period of time without making testicle jokes.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • ..and so the phrase "throwing a baseball" takes on a whole new meaning.
    Until you listened to the end of the Aprils Fools episode.

I'm off for two weeks now, so I guess I'll just listen to the final version as a normal podcast. Have fun!
  • You know what's more fun then trolling someone on the interwebs, trolling them on a call in show.
  • Is it sad that I don't make that connection? I just care so little about April Fools Day that I usually don't make the connection until someone mentions it. I don't know why, I guess it just hasn't been that big of a deal in my life at all.

Cool beans about the live show, though.
    No, that's good.
  • We do indeed hate April Fool's day, or at least most people's usage of it. I mean, last year was all rickrolls that you always saw coming. Every blog and news site puts up obviously fake news stories. The only good ones I've ever seen on the net are when Fark and BoardGameGeek let people think they had admin access. It actually fooled somebody.

In addition, we've announced in advance that we're doing this on April 1st. You know that it's April Fool's day. It's so obvious. How could we possibly fool anybody that is so incredibly prepared for it? Either we are planning some fooling that is so epic that it will work, even if you see it coming, or we're not going to take part in that stupidity. I guess there's the third option that we're going to do some lame ass fooling like everyone else, like a live rickroll or some bullshit, but you know we don't play that.
  • Sounds like baseball is the American version of cricket.
    As for the live show, it would be really nice to know what GMT time it will be aired at least 24 hours in advance.
    Nice job on the show!
    As for the live show, it would be really nice to know what GMT time it will be aired at least 24 hours in advance.
    Nice job on the show!
    Surely baseball is the American version of rounders?
    Nice job on the show!
    Well, I'm not from England and had never heard of rounders. I had to look it up. I'm from Victoria, Australia - where cricket is far more popular than baseball. But I don't recall ever hearing of rounders.
    But yeah, you're probably right. The description I read about it definitely is closer to baseball than cricket is. But I was talking more in terms of spectating the games... There seems to be a fairly tight analogue between them.
  • I guess there's the third option that we're going to do some lame ass fooling like everyone else, like a live rickroll or some bullshit, but you know we don't play that.
    This was the first thing to come to mind when i saw the date.
    Nice job on the show!
    Well, I'm not from England and had never heard of rounders. I had to look it up. I'm from Victoria, Australia - where cricket is far more popular than baseball. But I don't recall ever hearing of rounders.
    But yeah, you're probably right. The description I read about it definitely is closer to baseball than cricket is. But I was talking more in terms of spectating the games... There seems to be a fairly tight analogue between them.
    I was aware of the Rounders game, I am also aware of many American's disdain of the claim that Baseball is a derivative of Rounders. However you could have an evolution / creationism debate in the same vein.

Having played both games (cricket and baseball), regularly for teams as a teenager - I found each to have it's own difficulties and also fun.
    In baseball I learned very quickly how to avoid a pitch coming straight for me. I also learned how to throw, I started off as the catcher of the team and in 3 months was slowly promoted to the outfield then shortstop and finally to Pitcher. I was also opening batter. My coach even used me for the league an age grade above, when they were short.
    Baseball was very quick and fun for the majority of players however Cricket was only that great if you were batting or one of the bowlers.

I didn't really excel at cricket as I did with baseball as there were enough people to make 4 teams at high school and I had talent in my year which is now playing international professionally - (he was incredibly dimwitted though).

In addition, we've announced in advance that we're doing this on April 1st. You know that it's April Fool's day. It's so obvious. How could we possibly fool anybody that is so incredibly prepared for it? Either we are planning some fooling that is so epic that it will work, even if you see it coming, or we're not going to take part in that stupidity. I guess there's the third option that we're going to do some lame ass fooling like everyone else, like a live rickroll or some bullshit, but you know we don't play that.
    However you could be doing the obvious thing on purpose to falsely lead us one way while you play your actual pieces in another - that would make it "epic".
    Plus one would have to ask as to why this date were chosen for such a new concept / special show.
    Am I being overly nit picky - Yes, yes I am.

I wish I could however be a part of the show but that would mean getting up at 4am in the morning, 2 hours earlier than usual, possible, but depends on how tired I am from the day before.
  • I had talent in my year which is now playing international professionally - (he was incredibly dimwitted though).
    You're going to have to be more specific. Seriously, name names.
  • Love me some baseball, got a question though. Does anyone think that its okay to live in one city and root for a team from another town even though you have no ties to said town?
  • Does anyone think that its okay to live in one city and root for a team from another town even though you have no ties to said town?
    Absolutely not ok. You are a very bad person.
  • Love me some baseball, got a question though. Does anyone think that its okay to live in one city and root for a team from another town even though you have no ties to said town?
    Only if the team you're rooting for is the Boston Red Sox, as they are the only worthwhile baseball team.
  • Neito...Funny you say that because i live in NYC and root for the Sawx..Boston folk are touchy though
  • Boston folk are touchy though
    YOU TAKE THAT BACK RIGHT NOW, YOU MOTHERFUCKER. D<</font>
  • I am not lying. They are sensitive when it comes to the Red Sox. Mention pink hats to a Sox fan and they start to grumble about their fathers father back in the caveman days that was a Sox fan with an Old English "B' carved into their pet dinosaurs chest. Its' like if you're not a fan from 1625 you don't deserve to be a fan. Tell me I'm wrong
  • Tell me I'm wrong
    You're wrong. I've never once run into that, and I've lived in and around Boston all my life.
  • edited March 2009
    Neito...Funny you say that because i live in NYC and root for the Sawx..Boston folk are touchy though
    Raaar! I'mma getchu!

...you, sir, are a crime against nature. A New Yorker rooting for the Sox. Pheh.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Neito...Funny you say that because i live in NYC and root for the Sawx..Boston folk are touchy though
    Raaar! I'mma getchu!

...you, sir, are a crime against nature. A New Yorker rooting for the Sox. Pheh.
    HA! What baseball teams do you have that are worth rooting for? The Mets suck, and what have the Yankees done lately but be losing losing little losers?
  • HA! What baseball teams do you have that are worth rooting for? The Mets suck, and what have the Yankees done lately but be losing losing little losers?
    Front runner. The Mets do suck right now. There is no question about that. They are the chokinest choke fest I've ever seen. Even so, my grandfather was a Brooklyn Dodgers and Mets fan. My entire family is Mets fans, I am a Mets fan. Real fandom has more meaning than just rooting for the team that wins.

Also, a real New York sports fan boos their own team when they suck. You saw what happened with the Knicks, or to pre-championship Eli Manning, I could go on.
  • HA! What baseball teams do you have that are worth rooting for? The Mets suck, and what have the Yankees done lately but be losing losing little losers?
    Front runner. The Mets do suck right now. There is no question about that. They are the chokinest choke fest I've ever seen. Even so, my grandfather was a Brooklyn Dodgers and Mets fan. My entire family is Mets fans, I am a Mets fan. Real fandom has more meaning than just rooting for the team that wins.

Also, a real New York sports fan boos their own team when they suck. You saw what happened with the Knicks, or to pre-championship Eli Manning, I could go on.
    I'm not a front-runner, and I take offense at that! I struggled through the first 19 years of my life with a losing team, and I get to gloat now that they've won. D
  • I used to really like Baseball. It's been hard to continue liking it, though, as I am unfortunately an Orioles fan.
  • I can't wait to hit Jacobs Field this summer. Baseball is really a stupid game, but attending with an audience of 30,000 with the lights up and the cheering and the hot dogs and beer and peanuts and cheering for the ketchup to win the race and doing The Wave and We Will Rock You -- that's what baseball's all about. It's much more culture in my eyes than sport. I don't really give a crap about the Indians, but I loves me some Indians games.
  • edited March 2009
    I can't wait to hit Jacobs Field this summer. Baseball is really a stupid game, but attending with an audience of 30,000 with the lights up and the cheering and the hot dogs and beer and peanuts and cheering for the ketchup to win the race and doing The Wave and We Will Rock You -- that's what baseball's all about. It's much more culture in my eyes than sport. I don't really give a crap about the Indians, but I loves me some Indians games.
    That is how I feel about all sporting events. The spectacle and the ritual of attending live sports is fun. Watching other people play a game... dull.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on