This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What Have You Been Listening To? (Don't make this thread a wall of embedded youtubes)

edited May 2009 in Everything Else
I don't know how this will fly on this forum, since so many of you dudes are too cool to listen to a lot of new releases. Still, it is worth a shot, with the sudden resurgence of music related threads. Also, this is new new music, not just modern music, meaning we talk about music that got released this year. Links are welcome, too, if the mods are cool with that.

I'd like to start off with some heavy praise for the new Grizzly Bear record, Veckatimest. I've never really gotten into a Griz album until this one, which I've been listening to constantly for the past couple days. I adored Knife, Easier, and Colorado off Yellow House but found myself getting kind of lost within some of it's murk on my first few listens. With this release, every song feels clearer and more filled out, and it inspired me to go back and listen to Yellow House again, which I'm starting to appreciate quite a bit more. Of course, the Griz are rocking their always incredible four-part vocal harmonies, which bring to mind Beach Boys' Pet Sounds and Panda Bear's Person Pitch.

Here's Two Weeks, and the album.

Comments

• That album art bothers me in a few ways, especially the text.
  • http://sharebee.com/14f85b08
    This is not a warez forum. Just make a proper link if you're going to link to a download, not everyone packs Linkification.
  • edited May 2009
    Dude, that album art is so bitchin, you don't even know.
    http://sharebee.com/14f85b08
    This is not a warez forum. Just make a proper link if you're going to link to a download, not everyone packs Linkification.
    Hmm, alright, just taking precautions.
    Post edited by whatever on
  • Hmm, alright, just taking precautions.
    Rym and Scott mention The Pirate Bay often enough on the show and on the site, and even then, if they suddently don't want people to post download links then putting it in a code block isn't going to make much difference. Warez sites have their HTTP referrer paranoia, just leave that stupidity there.

As for that song Two Weeks, sounds nice, going to try the rest of the album, thanks. I don't have any new music to spread the word about myself though.
  • Never been too into Grizzly Bear, so this probably won't even get a listen from me for at least six months since I'm so backed up on my music queue.

I finally got around to Passage by Pocahaunted the other day.

It expands pretty well on what I liked so much about Chains, but I think that Chains is still my favorite of theirs. As far as recommending this album, if you like drone then you already know if you like Pocahaunted. If you don't like drone, it's not the record that is going to change your mind.
  • Passage and Gold Miner's Daughters are definitely my favorite Phaunt releases, though Peyote Road is a close runner up. Those girls have really been killing it this year.
  • Gold Miner's Daughter freaks me the fuck out for some reason. I like the first song on Peyote Road a lot, but I never really dug the second.
  • I love all the weird instruments on Gold Miner's Daughter(s?), especially on Sun. I mean, the whole reverb drenched guitars with angelic vocals steaz is good, but it's nice to see them try something way different.

The girl who sits next to me in English turned me on to this band a few weeks back, and I've since burned through their catalog and have eagerly awaited this new album. It's gonna take a few more listens to judge how it compares, but I can at least tell you that it is not a disappointment in any way, shape, or form.

The girl who sits next to me in English turned me on to this band a few weeks back, and I've since burned through their catalog and have eagerly awaited this new album. It's gonna take a few more listens to judge how it compares, but I can at least tell you that it is not a disappointment in any way, shape, or form.
    A friend of mine told me about Dinosaur Jr. a while back because he said I look like their lead singer. I like them, they sort of remind me of a more depressing version of The Pixies.
  • That's a weird coincidence -- Dinosaur Jr. popped into my head a few years ago, after probably not thinking about them at all for close to 15 years.
  • edited June 2009
    A friend of mine told me about Dinosaur Jr. a while back because he said I look like their lead singer. I like them, they sort of remind me of a more depressing version of The Pixies.
    I don't really see the Pixies connection, but their lead singer has some awesome hair.
    That's a weird coincidence -- Dinosaur Jr. popped into my head a few years ago, after probably not thinking about them at all for close to 15 years.
    Farm is somewhat a return to their older sound, so if you're at all still interested, it might be worth checking out.

The new Sonic Youth record, The Eternal, will soon be officially released and I hope to be going to the release party on Thursday.

Post edited by Sail on
  • I really don't like The Eternal at all. Sonic Youth are trying so hard to sound like old Sonic Youth, it's almost like they're parodying themselves.
  • Sonic Youth are trying so hard to sound like old Sonic Youth
    They are, but I still like it. And Pocahaunted is playing the release party. So it's a done deal for me.
  • They played at Kim's fashion line premiere, too, with the Vibes line up, I think. Speaking of which, Vibes' cassette You God It is real solid. Twenty minutes of funky lo-fi riffs and Amanda's "slogeneering." I'm pretty sure it's sold out now, though, so here it is.
  • edited June 2009
    Joanna Newsom, whom Krishna posted about and then deleted, has a terrible voice and an affected accent that distracts from the nice (if simple) instrumentation and sweet lyrics. She should play harp and write music, but let someone else sing her songs.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • edited June 2009
    Joanna Newsom, whom Krishna posted about and then deleted, has a terrible voice and an affected accent that distracts from the nice (if simple) instrumentation and sweet lyrics. She should play harp and write music, but let someone else sing her songs.
    I can't help but agree. I love her music and lyrics, but her voice is extremely off-putting at first. But, if you can get past that, she makes some very beautiful music.
    I'm pretty sure it's sold out now, though,so here it is.
    I actually downloaded this somewhere before my HD went kaput. I could see them being a really fun live band, but this didn't really resonate with me that much. But it was enjoyable for a one-time listen. I'd check whatever they released next.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited June 2009
    I did not delete it. I posted it in the Things of Your Day thread, not here, hahaha. I think her voice is absolutely incredible, but I understand why people have issues with it. There's no point arguing, because I know I can't convince anyone. I don't even know what "affected accent" means. Is it that her voice isn't absolutely clear like a "real" singer's? Because I hate those sort of voices. Joanna's is so real sounding. I don't think there's anything wrong with "simple instrumentation" either. I think we look for very different things in our music, Mrs. MacRoss.
  • My little brother just told me about a band called Fleet Foxes, and in particular, a song "Blue Ridge Mountains" that he says reminds him of me. Never heard of these guys before, but:

This song made me cry.
  • edited June 2009
    My little brother just told me about a band called Fleet Foxes, and in particular, a song "Blue Ridge Mountains" that he says reminds him of me. Never heard of these guys before, but:

This song made me cry.
    They've only released one album but it's fantastic. Your little brother just gave you the best compliment ever.

edit: I guess I should also point out that they don't start playing Blue Ridge Mountain until like 2:30 into the video.
    Post edited by Koholint on
  • edited June 2009
    a song "Blue Ridge Mountains" that he says reminds him of me
    D'awww.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited June 2009
    I really dug their self-titled when it came out, but fell out of love with it after a couple weeks of nonstop listening. I put it on again, for the first time in a long time, at this arts and crafts place I volunteer at, and it gave me a great feeling. Solid record, and that's one of the best tracks on it.
  • Joanna Newsom, whom Krishna posted about and then deleted, has a terrible voice and an affected accent that distracts from the nice (if simple) instrumentation and sweet lyrics. She should play harp and write music, but let someone else sing her songs.
    I did not delete it. I posted it in the Things of Your Day thread, not here, hahaha. I think her voice is absolutely incredible, but I understand why people have issues with it. There's no point arguing, because I know I can't convince anyone. I don't even know what "affected accent" means. Is it that her voice isn't absolutely clear like a "real" singer's? Because I hate those sort of voices. Joanna's is so real sounding. I don't think there's anything wrong with "simple instrumentation" either. I think we look for very different things in our music, Mrs. MacRoss.
    First, I like the simple instrumentation. Like I said, it is nice. I also like her lyrics. Second, by affected accent I mean that when she sings she sounds like she has an accent (similar to Bjork's, actually), but she is from California and has no accent when speaking. Third, I can appreciate many voices and styles. I dislike her singing because she is nasal, can't hit a note, and can't hold a note. Frankly, she sounds like a squeaking, tone deaf, ten year old boy. Fourth, I find it odd that you dislike people with clear voices that can hold tunes. Maybe you have a different definition of a clear voice than the rest of the world. Regardless, it seems incredibly immature to put down people that are truly talented singers to prop-up a singer who is at best weak and at worst painful. Your taste is your taste, but don't put down obvious talent to validate your taste.
  • edited June 2009
    Oh no no, sorry if I came off as putting them down. I totally understand that certain people are super talented at singing and I can respect their skill, I just don't like listening to very good singers, I guess. Looking through my iPod, very few singers on here can actually sing, but they all have distinctive voices, and I think that's more what I care about, voices with character. I honestly adore Joanna Newsom's singing, and get the same feeling from her squeaks and squeals that you probably get hearing a real, solid singer.

And to clarify my remarks on the simple songs, I think I took offense to your pointing it out because it seemed like one of those things that you only point out when you want to put it down. Obviously, this was not your intention.
  • edited June 2009
    a song "Blue Ridge Mountains" that he says reminds him of me
    D'awww.
    That probably contributed a good deal to the waterworks. But seriously, it's very rare that any music is powerful enough to move me to tears. I'm going to look up more of these guys, if I can listen to it without crying.

EDIT: Anyhow, enough of that for now. Here's the song "Coast" from Ki, the latest Devin Townsend record. It's very mellow. I think I'm on a mellow kick lately.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • edited June 2009
    Late last night on a strange journey through the roads of suburban Illinois, a female friend turned me on to Josh Ritter. It was revelatory.

Also, for The Whale Shark, Fleet Foxes's "White Winter Hymnal." I shed a man-tear.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I listened to that one when my brother recommended them to me. I found it very powerful and moving. "Blue Ridge Mountains" made me bawl, though, because it's obviously a song directed at the older brother in a pair that have drifted apart as their lives have gone on. That's literally the situation that my brother and I are in, so it really hit close to home. Hell, I'm tearing up just thinking about it.
  • Just go get the whole record, dude. I listened again today; it's all great.
  • I agree, Fleet Foxes is one of my favorite bands right now and you should definitely buy the whole album if you liked that song.
  • edited June 2009
    Regina Spektor's "Far" is a masterpiece. Almost certainly her best work yet.
    Here is the single "Laughing With":
    Post edited by Blarp on