This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

NEW Anime Season Thread!! a.k.a. Till The Industry DIES!!

Comments

• edited October 2008
    There's no difference between download fansubs for a licensed or unlicensed show.
    I completely disagree. There's a moral scale here, and the critical factor in evaluating the position of a fansub on that scale is the extent to which it provides a better, or at least unique service compared to the licensed distributions available to you, or the extent to which the latter is overpriced.
    I was talking about the legality of fansubs. There is no difference, I said not a single word, and will say no more words, about morals and fansubs. Not in this thread.
    It is true, licensed and unlicensed fansubs are both equally illegal. However, you spoke about people having clean consciences. Conscience is all about morals, not legality. A large portion of the US anime community has decided that it is morally acceptable to download unlicensed subs, but not licensed ones. Animesuki services this large portion of the community.

Also, Animesuki has handy links to ANN Encyclopedia, Wikipedia, Animenfo, etc. This makes it easy to check out what a show is before you download it.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Woooooot. Funimation is subbing Shikabane HIme for free via streaming, first episode tomorrow. This is the way anime should be licensed!
  • Woooooot. Funimation is subbing Shikabane HIme for free via streaming, first episode tomorrow. This is the way anime should be licensed!
    Though what about the quality. Sure, for Shikabane Hime Aka it probably does not matter that much, but if you're going to watch Mouryou no Hako, darn do you want as high definition as you can and as little crappy artifacting as possible.
    Though what about the quality. Sure, for Shikabane Hime Aka it probably does not matter that much, but if you're going to watch Mouryou no Hako, darn do you want as high definition as you can and as little crappy artifacting as possible.
    You can buy a DVD quality epsiode for $2.
  • You can buy a DVD quality epsiode for $2.
    Tell me about the quality of the video, sound, subtitles, etc and filesize after you've watched the first ep. :)
  • Bought eps 1 of Baccano and the subs were great, as expected from professionals. The quality is pretty good. Now that I look at it it's only near DVD quality, 640X360. My biggest complaint is the DRM they use.
  • What's the kind of DRM they use? How intrusive is it, and how much does calling their customer support, as you mentioned earlier, help?
  • It's a WMV type DRM. You can download every episode from funimation without restriction, but when you try to play them it prompts you to acquire a license. As for calling their tech support, it won't do anything by itself. I figure if I keep reminding them that I'm a paying customer and don't like this, and there enough people who complain like me then eventually they'll listen and move to an open standard.
  • I'm really liking Casshern Sins (the style and feel sort of reminds me of Blame!), but were already 5 episodes in and know almost nothing. Quite aggravating for a curious person like myself :P It's the only show, so far, that has really appealed to me this season.
  • edited December 2008
    Wow. Just wow.

Kyo no Go no Ni, "Today in Class 5-2" is an ecchi series about a bunch of 5th graders in class.... *shudders*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyo_no_Go_no_Ni
    Post edited by Loganator456 on
  • And this is surprising to you because of...what, exactly?
  • edited January 2009
    And this is surprising to you because of...what, exactly?
    I didn't say it was surprising, I was just commenting on it.
  • Summer season is starting, and since I'm feeling lazy at the moment: Hashihime's listing is always interesting, if only for having links to trailers on one page.
  • I'm still looking forward to Spice and Wolf II, although there are a few new anime here and there that are a little interesting to me. I'm watching both Hayate no Gotoku!! and the To-Love Ru OVAs, and K-ON!'s ending was kinda meh. Fight Ippatsu! Jūden-chan!!, Hetalia 2, and Princess Lover! also are kinda interesting, but I need to read some reviews when they come out before I watch them.
  • edited June 2009
    Speaking of lame endings, Eden of the East's end was more of a fizz than a bang, and wholly unsatisfying, in my opinion.

Canaan looks interesting, but I am leery of shows with entirely female protagonists (the only decent one I've seen is the Read or Die movie), Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 could be fantastic or terrible, Dogs, Bullets and Carnage could be a fun group-setting romp, Jungle Emperor looks to be good (based on a Tezuka manga and done by the guy who did Planetes, a favorite of mine), the Nodame Cantabile OVA looks to be more of the same (in other words, awesome), Saint Seiya is probably going to be terrible but nostalgic, and that's all I'm really interested in. There seems to be a larger-than-usual overabundance of school shows... did anyone else notice that?

EDIT: And, of course, Spice and Wolf 2 will hopefully be good.
    Post edited by Σπεκωσποκ on
  • edited June 2009
    EDIT: And, of course, Spice and Wolf 2 will hopefully be good.
    I liked episode 0, hopefully this season concentrates more on the relationship and less of the merchant-ing.

EDIT: Did anyone else think K-ON!'s ending was kinda meh? I mean you could possibly pick up a hint to a second season (and there a good chance, I think, given it's popularity), but in and of itself the ending wasn't anything special.
  • edited June 2009
    I personally like Random Curiousity for their promo compilations...although they are missing about half the shows coming on this season. Here are some that I'm looking forward to:

Umineko no Naku Koro ni
    I liked Higurashi, so this should be interesting.

Bakemonogatari
    The premise seems interesting. I also enjoyed some of SHAFT's latest works.

Yoku Wakaru Gendai Mahou
    Magic vs. Computers? Sounds pretty cool.

Fight Ippatsu! Jūden-chan!!?
    I know a good number will say WTF, since the promo pretty much portrayed it as an over-sexed magical girl series. Didn't Rym or Scott said that Hentai is like bad comedy in one episode? Let's see how bad it can get.

I think there's more, but some of them are 26-episode runs from this past season.

In regards to K-ON!, seeing how it's a musical slice of life series, it ended alright. No biggie. That is if you're not counting the extra 13th episode.
    Post edited by omegafinal on
  • edited June 2009
    Only Kimba and Saint Seiya are getting my full attention. If only because those are the only one that will withstand the test of time :P
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • K-ON!'s ending was kinda meh.
    What was meh about it? The entire show was the road to that last concert. If you respond "But episode 13?" I'll laugh in your face. It ended with the concert and the comment of Hey, we grew up.
    Speaking of lame endings, Eden of the East's end was more of a fizz than a bang, and wholly unsatisfying, in my opinion.
    Expensive commercial for the film. The last DVDs/BDs will be released a handful of days before the film premiers. Marketing machine at work.
    Dogs, Bullets and Carnage could be a fun group-setting romp
    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. 1) That entry on the page is for the third and fourth episodes of the DOGS OVA. 2) It's pretty much a bad Bacanno. 3) Lack of nicotine solidifies even Shinji's balls, but only when desperately wanting a smoke.
    There seems to be a larger-than-usual over-abundance of school shows... did anyone else notice that?
    Your mistaken.
    I personally likeRandom Curiousity for their promo compilations...although they are missing about half the shows coming on this season.
    RC doesn't note OVAs, and Hashihime also mentions OVAs that still run (DOGS, Hellsing).
    I also enjoyed some of SHAFT's latest works.
    ... Like that sadistic trap show?
    Yoku Wakaru Gendai Mahou
    Magic vs. Computers? Sounds pretty cool.
    Yoku Wakaru Gendai Mahou is about a clumsy high school girl who has a child-like body
    Also, isn't it magic combined with computers instead of against? Sounds the same like Index, though that had lol, penny-railgun.
    Didn't Rym or Scott said that Hentai is like bad comedy in one episode? Let's see how bad it can get.
    If you want to go that way, why not watch Queens Blade? Ippatsu's more likely a (bad) comedy trying to be bad hentai, so turn around, you're walking the opposite direction of which you state.

For me, the only things that I might follow are CANAAN, Tokyo Magnitude, Sora no Manima ni, Taishou Yakyuu Musume, and very maybe Spice and Wolf 2 (I didn't like the episode 0 OVA, Horo in heat, blech). I might catch up with Cross Game, and Element Hunters will also be very awesome.
  • and very maybe Spice and Wolf 2 (I didn't like the episode 0 OVA, Horo in heat, blech).
    LOL. Tell me if I'm wrong, but isn't their relationship the was the whole point of the show? I wouldn't watch that merchant shit if it wasn't there.
  • LOL. Tell me if I'm wrong, but isn't their relationship the was the whole point of the show? I wouldn't watch that merchant shit if it wasn't there.
    True, but I wanted to make a joke (lolol, Horo has fever, wolf in heat, lolol), and the character of Horo was somewhat different from the first season. But the first reason weighs most.
  • LOL. Tell me if I'm wrong, but isn't their relationship the was the whole point of the show? I wouldn't watch that merchant shit if it wasn't there.
    True, but I wanted to make a joke (lolol, Horo has fever, wolf in heat, lolol), and the character of Horo was somewhat different from the first season. But the first reason weighs most.
    Yeah, I like the premise of this a lot better so far. The "in heat" pun didn't really make me laugh the "lolol", and then I mostly LOL'ed from the post. "lolol", Haha.
  • edited June 2009
    [like SHAFT]... Like that sadistic trap show?
    I just like how SHAFT executed the two ef series, which is the first I've seen from them. The story is somewhat generic, but I really like their artistic direction. Arashi, which was the second SHAFT produced show I've seen, was decent enough but felt unbalanced. I guess I should be happy I didn't watch their past shows.
    Also, isn't it magic combined with computers instead of against? Sounds the same like Index, though that had lol, penny-railgun. (Yoku Wakaru Gendai Mahou)
    Was it? It was late at night at the time so I might have misread the text and misinterpreted the trailer. It still looks like an interesting series regardless.
    If you want to go that way, why not watch Queens Blade? Ippatsu's more likely a (bad) comedy trying to be bad hentai, so turn around, you're walking the opposite direction of which you state.
    lol. I've tried watching Queen's Blade, and I felt my brain just melt watching the first five minutes of the first episode. It's just painful to watch in all aspects (fine, it's like watching really frickin' bad [extremely tipping over the border] hentai). At least Ippatsu makes some attempt at humor, although its effectiveness is questionable.
    Post edited by omegafinal on
    edited July 2009
    Shows started airing, subs are being put out, two (3 if you'd like) shows I named got subs and I like them. CANAAN appears to be very interesting with more girls with guns, the voice for Canaan is the same as Kurenai from Kurenai and Jun Sasada in Natsume Yuujin-chou, I like the voice actress, she did some great voice acting in some enjoyable shows. Taishou Yakyuu Musume is great, I hope it continuous more like it started, it started like this:

Element Hunters is awesome, as I predicted, for the one reason I expected. Troll subs. 1080p hilarity, offensive and NSFW. ;)

EDIT:: Viga, have you seen the Eureka Seven film? Is it spoilerific for the TV show?
    Post edited by ... on
  • edited July 2009
    2 days until Spice and Wolf II, and then waiting for the next To-Love Ru OVA to come out. Also, I can't wait until December and Spice and Wolf is released in the US, both the anime and manga. Also hoping their might be a Black Lagoon season 3, although that's old news. I also hope that Funimation will pick up To-Love Ru and R+V (both seasons), and someone will pick up the TLR manga.
    Taishou Yakyuu Musume is great, I hope it continuous more like it started, it started like this:
    Aw, that's cute, I kinda want to watch the show. The ANN description sounds kinda neat, even though it isn't up my alley.

EDIT: Actually, I have a question for all of the Japanese history people: Is the setting of Taisho Yakyu Musume true to history? I thought that the westernization of Japan started a little later, although according to the girl and her dad, kimonos are going out of style into western clothes (the anime is set in 1925). After watching the first episode, I'm super interested in sort of the Westernization of Japan, when it started, how it was, etc., and also comparing the cultures and customs of Japan and the US from the early 1900's to today. I'd think making a little graph or something similar would be fucking awesome.
  • After watching the first episode, I'm super interested in sort of the Westernization of Japan, when it started, how it was, etc., and also comparing the cultures and customs of Japan and the US from the early 1900's to today. I'd think making a little graph or something similar would be fucking awesome.
    Did you check Wikipedia as a start?
  • I did actually, but I want something that focuses more of the westernization of Japan rather than that era in general. I'll look it up when I have time.
  • Also, Commodore Mathew Perry, commander of the USS Shark, who opened Japan to the west, effectively ending the medieval era of Japan and beginning the Westernization.

Taisho Yakyu Musume is good so far, and I hope it delves into the societal issues of westernizing Japan (the clash of old and new ideals) and by extension modern Japan rather than becoming just a cute-girls-being-cute show. I don't need another Azumanga Daioh.
  • Taisho Yakyu Musume is good so far, and I hope it delves into the societal issues of westernizing Japan (the clash of old and new ideals) and by extension modern Japan rather than becoming just a cute-girls-being-cute show. I don't need another Azumanga Daioh.
    You know it's about girls playing baseball right? I'll add that hope to mine. I hope it gets more musical parts. We need more animu that are musicals all the way, like Princess Tutu (just finished zura. ;-;), even though that wasn't a musical but ballet.
  • I just watched the first episode of Taisho Yakyuu Musume and I found it great so far. Looks very promising.