This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What Have You Been Listening To? (Don't make this thread a wall of embedded youtubes)

Comments

• edited June 2009
    I agree, Fleet Foxes is one of my favorite bands right now and you should definitely buy the whole album if you liked that song.
    That song, when it does start, reminds me a lot of old Neil Young.

Wow, I've never heard Sonic Youth before, but they sound kind of awesome. What is their best album?
    Post edited by kiwi_bird on
  • edited June 2009
    Wow, I've never heard Sonic Youth before, but they sound kind of awesome. What is their best album?
    Daydream Nation is their really famous one. Honestly, your favorite SY album always ends up being the one you hear first, so you could really start anywhere.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited June 2009
    I figured some of you guys might enjoy this.

Just heard this the other night, hanging out drinking with a buddy of mine. The band is Ajattara, a black/death band from Finland. They just released an acoustic album this year. It's very weird: lots of doom elements. I find it interesting but difficult to actually like. Might give it a few more listens to see if it grows on me or not.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • They just released anacousticalbum this year.
    Wow, good for them. It's definitely an interesting experiment. I'll have to grab this.
  • edited June 2009
    Downloading Noitumaa right now, that rules.

The first six tracks off Mos Def's new album The Ecstatic are pretty great.

Everything else on the record is boring, but those six are some of the best work Mos Def's ever released. The Slick Rick verse on the third track absolutely kills. The beat on Supermagic is off Dr. No's Oxperiment by Oh No, Madlib's little brother, which is one of my favorite instrumental hip-hop records.
    Post edited by whatever on
  • edited July 2009
    A Floridian band called Blind Man's Colour have just released their debut, Season Dreaming.

Take note:
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Yes! Hopefully I'll be able to make it to their show at Radioactive Records.
  • edited July 2009
    Some decades have a distinctive "sound". Sometimes when you hear an unfamiliar older song, you can instantly tell when it was released. Some movies like Walk Hard and Music and Lyrics play on this. Both movies had songs that were written recently but sound like they were written in the eras in which the movie reality required of them. For instance, that song "Pop! Goes My Heart" in Music and Lyrics sounds EXACTLY like a mid-80s pop song. Of course, it's not exact and there are many outliers (the early 60s were filled with songs that sound like they were released in the 50s).

So, my question is whether there is a distinctive 00s sound. We're at the end of the decade, and when VH1 gets around to doing an "I Love the 00s" show, will they be able to say that they can tell a song was released in the 00s because it has the "00s sound"?
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • So, my question is whether there is a distinctive 00s sound. We're at the end of the decade, and when VH1 gets around to doing an "I Love the 00s" show, will they be able to say that they can tell a song was released in the 00s because it has the "00s sound"?
    The sound of the 00's is a person who can't really sing in the real world, but can in an album by using the magic of digital production.
  • The sound of the 00's is a person who can't really sing in the real world, but can in an album by using the magic of digital production.
    Heh. Maybe, but I doubt that's how history will record it. I think hat's just the equivalent of the of the hugely reverbed gated snare from the 80s.

It kinda seems to me that maybe since the mid-90s, musical genres have been so kinda fragmented and overlapping that there hasn't been a distinctive sound that you can really nail down. I think part of it is that technology has reached the point that we're able to make pretty much any sound we want. So much of 80s music sounds that way because that was the best synthesizer/drum machine/sampler technology available at the time, and they all happened to be very distinctive. Also, I suppose, the novelty made people play with them in ways that were probably ill-advised in retrospect, and that we don't feel the need to do anymore.
  • So back in the day I listened to Derek the Bandit's Sound Republic podcast. It was where I could get a free regular dose of electronic music, much of it from South Africa. It was good in the music department, but I stopped listening. Derek stopped doing music so much, and instead switched over to Randi BS and scam-artistry. In one episode he even put an entire excerpt from that moron Echkart Tolle's book. That was the last straw. I unsubscribed, and have been without electronic music podcast since.

Until now. Welcome to the Perfecto Podcast with Paul Oakenfold. He's pretty much the world's most famous #1 DJ. It costs a bajillion dollars to get him to do a party, and rightly so. This podcast started back in March, and has been coming out every single week since then. It's free, and it contains an hour of uninterrupted beats. Totally awesome.
  • edited July 2009
    Until now. Welcome to thePerfecto Podcastwith Paul Oakenfold. He's pretty much the world's most famous #1 DJ. It costs a bajillion dollars to get him to do a party, and rightly so. This podcast started back in March, and has been coming out every single week since then. It's free, and it contains an hour of uninterrupted beats. Totally awesome.
    Oh snap, I have a new podcast. I do enjoy Oakenfold. I was just thinking I need some new beats to listen to, thanks. There is only so much Bad Boy Bill and Girl Talk that I can listen to.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • edited July 2009
    So much of 80s music sounds that way because that was the best synthesizer/drum machine/sampler technology available at the time, and they all happened to be very distinctive. Also, I suppose, the novelty made people play with them in ways that were probably ill-advised in retrospect, and that we don't feel the need to do anymore.
    Yeah. I think that the overuse of all the new electronic stuff makes that music seem really dated now, especially since these days anyone can do the same thing with their laptop and a copy of Garageband.

I guess what is really boils down to in what will define the "true" 00's sound is whether we choose to remember what was popular or what becomes influential. I feel like what is remembered from each decade is what eventually becomes the most influential, rather than what would be projected as the most influential by it's popularity. There is also the possibility that the concept of a "definitive sound" is dead. Today's generation has access to the music of any time period and any place thanks to the internet while, in the 60's, people could only be influenced by what they heard on the radio and saw on television which caused a lot of the music within that time period to have that certain "sound".
    Post edited by Sail on
  • @Sail -- you brought up two points I was thinking about, but forgot to actually type -- the internet is cross-pollinating music to an insane degree, and we may just be too close to it to have any idea what the sound of the 00s is. Of course, even when you think of 80s music, there are a lot of different genres that we think of as 80s music -- 80s hip hop, synth pop, pop-goth, hair metal, whatever you call Rick James...
    edited July 2009
    Paul Oakenfold
    Who? That's not the guy who DJ'd at the Olympics, is he now?
    Post edited by ... on
  • Paul Oakenfold
    Who? That's not the guy who DJ'd at the Olympics, is he now?
    OMG you're so STUPID! You couldn't even look him up on Wikipedias. Moran. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Oakenfold
    edited July 2009
    OMG you're so STUPID!
    Who said I didn't? ;) Rather stupid yourself to assume I did not. You claim he's the most famous #1 DJ in the world, I don't care about DJs, he is not the DJ that played at the olympics, ergo, he's not the most famous #1 DJ. Do you see what I did there now, Scott?
    Post edited by ... on
  • You claim he's the most famous #1 DJ in the world, I don't care about DJs, he is not the DJ that played at the olympics, ergo, he's not the most famous #1 DJ.
    Since when did being the olympic DJ make one the most famous DJ?
    edited July 2009
    Since when did being the olympic DJ make one the most famous DJ?
    Famous, adjective, having a widespread reputation. More people watch the Olympics than listen to DJs.

EDIT: Inb4 'casual'.
    Post edited by ... on
  • Famous, adjective, having a widespread reputation. More people watch the Olympics than listen to DJs.
    I think the those that actually care about the DJ's name probably don't watch the Olympics.
  • Famous, adjective, having a widespread reputation. More people watch the Olympics than listen to DJs.
    I think the those that actually care about the DJ's name probably don't watch the Olympics.
    I am totally honest when I say that the only DJ whose name I know is Wolfman Jack.
  • I think the those that actually care about the DJ's name probably don't watch the Olympics.
    Neither do I, at most I check out the opening ceremony. Neither of that matters since it was a freaking huge deal for the news outlets that OMG, a DJ doing the opening ceremony of the fracking Olympics! And I'd bet that those who care about DJs have an even harder time avoiding that kind of news. You mustn't forget, we're talking about famous #1 DJs, so these are most likely pretty well-known by those who care about that stuff. At that point things like playing at the Olympics, getting knighted and attaching your name to a HIV/AIDS cause help to spread your fame outside the DJ loving circuit.

Just saying that I think Scott's claim that he's 'most famous' is stupid, which I did after looking up the guys' wiki page.
  • I am totally honest when I say that the only DJ whose name I know is Wolfman Jack.
    I have a ton of recordings of Wolfman Jack, he's one of my favorite radio DJs, with the other one being Brian "Spoonman" Carlton.
  • edited July 2009
    Dude, they used to play Wolfman Jack's programs on XM Radio. So boss.
    Post edited by Sail on

The first thing that strikes me is how Dustin seems to be experimenting with his vocal style. The second thing that strikes me is how this change in vocal style reflects the way their sound is going. Most of the tracks seem to be moving away from the post-hardcore style into something more reminiscent of a fusion between the Water, Earth, and Air styles from The Alchemy Index. I'm not really sure how I feel about this album yet, because my initial reaction isn't so positive. There's a possibility that this is just being overshadowed because their last few albums were such grand undertakings, so I'll have to let it stew.
  • I was listening to this song this morning. I feel that everyone needs Dan Auerbach in their life. I was right up front for his performance at Lolla, and his solo stuff is at least as good as his work with The Black Keys, which is to say, incredible.

• Just saying that I think Scott's claim that he's 'most famous' is stupid, which I did after looking up the guys' wiki page.
    I agree. Saying he's the #1 DJ in the world is a fucking joke.

Wanna know why?

Cause it's all opinion based.
  • I agree. Saying he's the #1 DJ in the world is a fucking joke.
    Wanna know why?
    Cause it's all opinion based.
    Certainly there's some objective measure by which you could determine the #1 DJ in the world. In fac, there are probably dozens of conflicting objective measures, but that doesn't mean it's bullshit and "all opinion based".

Someone my age should NOT be this excited for a children's album.
  • Oh mans. I wonder if there's a release party around here.