This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Warhammer 40k 5th Edition

Comments

• That's pretty much the best thing ever.

I still really miss 40k. I really need to get back to playing at some point. I need to get the new rules and re-do all of my armies, just to see what's different.

• I still really miss 40k. I really need to get back to playing at some point. I need to get the new rules and re-do all of my armies, just to see what's different.
    Is there a digital version of 40k straight up, as there is with Blood Bowl? If not, they should get on that.
  • Is there a digital version of 40k straight up, as there is with Blood Bowl? If not, they should get on that.
    I think the only way such a thing would happen is if someone took the MegaMek route.
  • I find it inconceivable that someone, somewhere in the depths of Games Workshop, is not working on a "freemium" digital version of Warhammer. Perhaps it'll never see the light of day, but the model fits what they already do all too well.
  • edited July 2009
    I find it inconceivable that someone, somewhere in the depths of Games Workshop, is not working on a "freemium" digital version of Warhammer. Perhaps it'll never see the light of day, but the model fits what they already do all too well.
    The thing is, an electronic Warhammer would 100% kill their business model. Well, unless they sold all the minis as DLC. I could see that working. They use the game to advertise itself and attract a certain type of gamer. Pretty much everyone who's into Warhammer got into it by walking up to someone playing a game at a table and saying, "What the hell is all this about?" The tabletop atmosphere also helps create an environment that is conducive to meeting other gamers.

An electronic version would be fucking fantastic for playing with people you already know, though, and you could probably mitigate the loss of the social atmosphere with some more technologies. The game would definitely lose something in the translation, though. I can tell you that there's something immensely satisfying about plunking down a heavy pewter statue of a fucking winged demon.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • edited July 2009
    Is there a digital version of 40k straight up, as there is with Blood Bowl? If not, they should get on that.
    I think the closest thing we've seen to an accurate port of 40k on the PC is Teardown's version of Space Hulk. They've supposedly got a v1.1 build in the works but the whole thing got C&D;'d by GW and THQ. Teardown is supposedly in the process of trying to get it legally released, but no movement on that front for now. The v1.0 release of it can be found at the usual sources, though.
    Post edited by Techparadox on
  • Well, unless they sold all the minis as DLC.
    That's exactly what I'm thinking of. The base game is free or cheap. Want to play as other races? With special units? With larger armies? With customized colors? Time to shell out.

It's a pricing model that's been growing in popularity in the games industry for a while (particularly in games that are MMOs and/or Korean, for whatever reason). Given that GW already does essentially the same thing (in meatspace, of course), it seems too much a fit for them to not be considering it.
  • Well, unless they sold all the minis as DLC.
    That's exactly what I'm thinking of. The base game is free or cheap. Want to play as other races? With special units? With larger armies? With customized colors? Time to shell out.

It's a pricing model that's been growing in popularity in the games industry for a while (particularly in games that are MMOs and/or Korean, for whatever reason). Given that GW already does essentially the same thing (in meatspace, of course), it seems too much a fit for them to not be considering it.
    Obviously that is the correct business model for them to milk the 40k fan base for extra cash. However, it's also a business model that would keep me very very far away.
  • edited July 2009
    Well, unless they sold all the minis as DLC.

Obviously that is the correct business model for them to milk the 40k fan base for extra cash. However, it's also a business model that would keep me very very far away.
    I could actually see the DLC minis thing working and definitely being cheaper than a physical mini. I can see there still being a market for the physical miniatures, as the converters and modelers will still need to work in a physical medium, but I think the average Joe would do just fine with electronic figures.

But, again, GW are assholes. This is the company that stopped shipping to retailers who sold their products on eBay because they might be selling for less than MSRP.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • But, again, GW are assholes. This is the company that stopped shipping to retailers who sold their products on eBay because they might be selling for less than MSRP.
    It's no different than Apple. Notice how even when Circuit City went out of business you couldn't get a discount on an iPod. They all sell for the same exact price no matter where you buy them. If you try to offer discounts on Apple products, they cut you off.
  • But, again, GW are assholes. This is the company that stopped shipping to retailers who sold their products on eBay because they might be selling for less than MSRP.
    It's no different than Apple. Notice how even when Circuit City went out of business you couldn't get a discount on an iPod. They all sell for the same exact price no matter where you buy them. If you try to offer discounts on Apple products, they cut you off.
    Yup. Assholes.
    Yup. Assholes.
    IMHO it should be illegal in an anti-trust sort of way.
  • I would be interested if the massive price of acquiring minis (or, as my old english teacher called them, "guysies") hadn't forced me out of the game after some punk kid jacked my copy of the $50 rulebook four years ago.
    IMHO it should be illegal in an anti-trust sort of way.
    Agreed. I have a sneaking suspicion that the opening of a GW shop across the way from my favorite game shop in the area (which up until that point sold GW figures) played some role in its going out of business. I'm also fairly sure that manufacturers having their own stores plays a part in that sort of asshole "nothing but MSRP" rule. Apple and GW can't afford to discount their only merchandise, but diversified merchants can. Thus, they become the preferred buyer when a sale starts up, and the manufacturer has to settle for the lower wholesale price in lieu of the higher retail price.
  • I been wanting to play Warhammer for ages, but I don't have the money to buy any figures. I'm still waiting to see when I can get some.
  • I been wanting to play Warhammer for ages, but I don't have the money to buy any figures. I'm still waiting to see when I can get some.
    eBay.
  • edited July 2009
    I been wanting to play Warhammer for ages, but I don't have the money to buy any figures. I'm still waiting to see when I can get some.
    eBay.
    I guess...
    Post edited by La Petit Mort on
    eBay.
    I guess...
    eBay really is the best way to get into any sort of collectible game. Retail price on these things is ludicrous. Why pay hundreds for an army, when someone out there is selling an entire set for way less than retail? Why buy starters and boosters for some CCG when someone out there is selling their whole collection for cheap?
  • GW are assholes.
    Well, there are other miniature games designers/manufactures with less blatantly assholish practices, and IMO better games/models to offer. None have the shear universal popularity of Warhmmer though.
  • I use to play 4oK back in middle and high school and I want to get back into it now (God Help me). Im looking to start an Eldar Army, what models should I get for a basic Eldar to start out?
  • Don't. Just play Dawn of War and save yourself a hajillion dollars.
  • edited September 2009
    I use to play 4oK back in middle and high school and I want to get back into it now (God Help me). Im looking to start an Eldar Army, what models should I get for a basic Eldar to start out?
    It's up to you, but if you're serious the best starting point tends to be one of the "starting army" packs. It's quite an inefficient use of cash, though.
    Otherwise, as MacRoss said, Dawn of War is a great game. It's completely different from the tabletop game, but it's the way to go to experience the 40k universe. I generally prefer the original over the newer one, but I don't know how other people feel about the issue.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • edited September 2009
    I use to play 4oK back in middle and high school and I want to get back into it now (God Help me). Im looking to start an Eldar Army, what models should I get for a basic Eldar to start out?
    You chose the wrong forum to ask. However I know of a forum where every day people ask questions just like yours. This forum is 4chans /tg/ board. Go there, say something along the lines of your post, attach a picture of the Eldar and wait. Also, you should probably call the Eldar 'Elfdar' (/tg/ thing).

edit: If you need any more advice my Skype is in my User profile.
    Post edited by GreyHuge on
  • You chose the wrong forum to ask. However I know of a forum where every day people ask questions just like yours. This forum is 4chans /tg/ board. Go there, say something along the lines of your post, attach a picture of the Eldar and wait. Also, you should probably call the Eldar 'Elfdar' (/tg/ thing).
    This also works for Cutebold Camp.
  • CUTEBOLDS!!!
  • Cutebolds?
    Nothing but us friblifsms here.
  • Warmachine/Hordes for the win, luckily it seems to be getting a very wide margin of being third most popular miniatures game behind 40k and fantasy in the states. I've yet to see if I like this whole army book direction. I like the idea of all the armies getting new units every time a new source book comes out. In Warhammer your army gets ignored for years unless it is Marines. Case in Point: Dark Eldar, Witch Hunters, Necrons, Daemonhunters.
  • Warmachine looks awesome...or at least the minis do. My only questions are, one, how expensive are they, and two, how hard is it to find a group?
  • Warmachine looks awesome...or at least the minis do. My only questions are, one, how expensive are they, and two, how hard is it to find a group?
    Expense: As you know wargaming is never really cheap, but I must say Warmachine/Hordes is lots cheaper than Games Workshop. A "battle box" which consists of around 500 points of models and is actually an entire legal army is 38 dollars. Add this to the fact that you only need the core rulebook as every mini comes with a card with any pertinent rules on it. Warjacks have a great price variance because some are pretty plain, while some are real fancy, plus add to that they are introducing plastic jacks and you have prices everywhere. The really only expensive thing is the troop models. Go to thewarstore.com and oogle minis for exact pricing. Ebay is a great source for minis as there aren't as many bidders as on Warhammer stuff so you can get huge deals.

Group: Finding a group is pretty easy, just go find them online somehow. Most gamers are usually tech-savy and use the internet to network new people into gaming. Privateer Press used to have an opponent finder forum, but I cant seem to find it. If this doesn't work go to your FLGS and see if they know of any groups that come in, post on a bulletin board that you are looking to learn the game.
  • New Grey Knights models are boss.

Also, I've..."acquired" a pretty fleshed our vassal module for 40k if anyone is interested in playing 40k for 100% cheaper and 400% less time consuming.