This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Post music you have made.

Comments

• This year I've been filming myself juggling in all the countries and interesting places I've visited this year. In December I'm only visiting places I've already been this year, so I'm releasing the video montage on youtube in about a week. The final video itself is pretty much complete, though I'll add new clips from Florida, the Dominican Republic and Aruba when I get to them in a few days.

Anyway, the video needs a soundtrack, so here's the track I've made. I wanted the soundtrack to have a similar feel to the music in Matt Harding's Dancing 2008 video. I decided to rewrite and rerecord a piece of music I made ten years ago called Ready to Roll. Instead of sticking with the old lyrics, I looked through all the photographs I've taken this year and wrote new lyrics based on those images and memories. The new track still is exactly as I wanted; elements of my own old track, with references to Gary Scjyman's Praan.

Take a listen. I'd love some feedback.

Ready to Roll 2009
  • I always feel like the worst person to give feedback on other people's music because my tastes, by and large, include music that most other people consider to be unlistenable. I'll happily give my feedback on anything if prompted, but it probably wouldn't come out as a fair assessment.

So I want to bump this thread to encourage other people to actually take a few minutes to check out some of the songs that people have posted here. I feel like this forum is very open and gracious when it comes to critiquing eachother's visual arts, but almost never auditory ones. Is it because you feel like listening to a song is more time consuming than looking at a picture? I'm sure any visual artist will agree that any good piece of art requires more than a mere moment of glancing to truly appreciate. Listening to a song really isn't that much more of a commitment, especially considering that you can do other things while listening to music.

I know for a fact that people around here do more musical things than they end up sharing on here. Maybe getting a bit more conversation surrounding it could foster some change?
  • Yeah, I've been meaning to mention that I've been listening to Healthy Animal while I do NaNoWriMo. I think you're onto something, Snarylow; it isn't anything really incredible yet, but I think the style is very creative and interesting. I haven't really got any specific comments other than that you should keep it up, and I can't wait to see what you're doing in a few years.
  • Any comments for my semi-improv piece?
    Could you upload it to tindeck or something? Megaupload's such a hassle and it won't even load for me right now.
    I listened to it, and the only thing I'd say is to boost up the drum sounds. Obviously your guitar playing is superb, but I feel like it just doesn't have as much force or impact without the rhythm section to back it up.
    I listened to it, and the only thing I'd say is to boost up the drum sounds. Obviously your guitar playing is superb, but I feel like it just doesn't have as much force or impact without the rhythm section to back it up.
    That's mostly with the drums I used, I was not in the comfort of my home when that was recorded, so I had to use a cheap drum VSTi instead of my EZdrummer set up. That also explains why I was using my nephew's guitar and line6 amp. I'll try to redo the drums later.
  • edited November 2009
    tindeck
    Sorry for double post.

I'll upload it straight away.

EDIT: Click here to listen to untitled2b.mp3
    Post edited by La Petit Mort on
  • My first album on Amazon Music

image.

Katsuhiko Jinnai - OriJINal Style

Please check it out and purchase a song if you like! DRM-free! :)
  • Damn, I wish I had read this thread 5 minutes ago. You music is pretty snazzy, but I just bought the new Carl Sagan vinyl...
  • edited November 2009
    Yeah, I'm in pretty much the same boat. There are a few tracks on there that I'd like to get, but I spent about $45 on music a couple days ago. That's just about my music budget for a couple months. :P
    Post edited by Walker on
  • More albums have finally been added to amazon.com. Search for "katsuhiko jinnai" for them. Thanks again for checking them out.
  • Quick collab with Snarlyow.
    I'm feeling a weird The Cure-meets-The Melvins-meets-Merzbow vibe on this one. It's pretty cool.
  • Cielmort, I like the lo-fi guitar a lot. Coupled with the keyboard part, it reminds me of Burzum. Funfetus, Merzbow-meets-Melvins would be a dream come true for me. Glad you got that sort of vibe out of it.
  • Here are two ambient/noise/improv tracks I made a few weeks ago.
  • edited January 2010

I'm not sure about the last song. I'm thinking of replacing it with "Destination Calabria" by Crystal Waters.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • edited January 2010
    That first track sounds bizarrely similar to "So Much Love to Give" by Together (Thomas Bangalter and DJ Falcon). My brain reeled for a few seconds.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited February 2010
    To learn the basics of Ardour I made this silly little thing. Ardour beats the shit out of Audacity, I can tell you that; this would have taken three times longer to make in Audacity, even if you count the time I spent learning Ardour's interface. All I need to do is order that new mic and I will be in business.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • Dude, upload your stuff to tindeck or soundcloud or something, I hate downloading single mp3s from mediafire. I've been working on a sort of psych folk sound for a little while. The next Healthy Animal album will be a lot more focused than the first, as far as keeping to one mood and style throughout. Everything is still 100% improvised.
  • edited February 2010
    Dude, upload your stuff to tindeck or soundcloud or something, I hate downloading single mp3s from mediafire.
    Agreed, I just never bothered looking for a better utility. Thanks for the heads up.

Also, as usual, your music is pretty neat. What are you using for percussion in those two songs?
    Post edited by Walker on
  • This is cool, reminds me of Residents, except they would have stretched it to 15 minutes. Sail will probably dig this.
  • Haha, it is rather reminiscent of The Residents.
    they would have stretched it to 15 minutes.
    But no.
  • Here's a new song.
  • edited February 2010
    Here's a new song.
    It's been said, but that slide guitar at the end is awesome. You should make a song with more of that. :P

I'm still experimenting with Ardour (that "song" is made entirely of what noises I could make from my desk; gulping, sniffing, chest pounding, beating myself with the mic, etc.), along with making a more conventional demo beat. The ease of use that comes with non-destructive, non-linear audio editing is very relaxing. It's almost like I'm idly doodling, but with sounds instead of ink.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • Anyone know of any really solid trackers? I'm interested in working on some mashups and beats.
  • Anyone know of any really solid trackers?
    The Pirate Bay.
  • The Pirate Bay.
  • Song for February - Memory/Confusion
  • Anyone know of any really solid trackers? I'm interested in working on some mashups and beats.
    DHT. Smart people have used that for years and it's getting more wide spread. The Pirate Bay is becoming even more akin to just a search engine, just use it.
    Song for February - Memory/Confusion
    Niiice.