This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What Have You Been Listening To? (Don't make this thread a wall of embedded youtubes)

Comments

• Someone my age should NOT be this excited for a children's album.
    I'm 21 and I just about shat my pants in excitement, you're fine dude.
  • edited September 2009
    I agree. Saying he's the #1 DJ in the world is a fucking joke.
    Wanna know why?
    Cause it's all opinion based.
    Certainly there's some objective measure by which you could determine the #1 DJ in the world. In fac, there are probably dozens of conflicting objective measures, but that doesn't mean it's bullshit and "all opinion based".
    If you want to go based off of CD sales, bookings, etc, then you can attach those numbers to any music artists, not just DJs. And those numbers don't correlate to how talented the artist is.

Example: Brittney Spears's debut album is 14x Platinum in the USA. If that's not a good enough example then I don't know what is.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • And those numbers don't correlate to how talented the artist is.
    No one said they did.
  • Here Comes Science makes me wish I had kids so that I could have an excuse to loop this disc constantly in my car.
  • Here Comes Science makes me wish I had kids so that I could have an excuse to loop this disc constantly in my car.
    Why do you need an excuse?
  • Why do you need an excuse?
    Innate teenager "oh-lordy-this-is-not-hip-so-I-should-not-like-it-openly" angst.

I'll give you an excuse, it's They Might Be Giants educating about SCIENCE!
    Well with a track names like "The Ballad of Davy Crockett (in Outer Space)," why not?
  • edited September 2009
    I watched the videos for it too last night, they're all so good. Everyone should get this.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Okay seriously now, we need a Music category because the once small niche of music topics were few and far between, but now the number of topics involving music is starting to pick up the pace.
  • edited September 2009
    And those numbers don't correlate to how talented the artist is.
    No one said they did.
    Well then how else are you supposed to objectively rank who is the #1 of anything?

If it's not objective, then it's subjective....which is opinion based. Which has been my point the entire time.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • Well then how else are you supposed to objectively rank who is the #1 of anything?
    If it's not objective, then it's subjective....which is opinion based. Which has been my point the entire time.
    #1 does not mean "the best". #1 can be objective -- it depends on what standard you choose to use. "The best", at least in terms of musicians, artists, chefs, etc., is always subjective. Talent is subjective, so "#1 most talented" doesn't make any sense and is completely subjective. But "#1 best selling", or "#1 most popular in such-and-such poll" is completely objective.
  • edited November 2009
    New Animal Collective EP called "Fall Be Kind" comes out on Monday, and it features a song with the first ever legally cleared Grateful Dead sample, so it's kind of a big deal in that regard. Of course, the song itself freakin' rips.

The sample comes in at the second half of the song, for those who are impatient.

Post edited by Sail on
  • Someone my age should NOT be this excited for a children's album.
    They Might Be Giants is the only band that is good enough that I like almost every song they've ever done.
  • edited December 2009
    Too much awesome to not share. Black Keys, Mos Def, Wu-Tang, Ludacris, Q-tip, and Pharaohe Monch, among others. This album is making me SALIVATE.

Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited December 2009
    I finally got my hands on Felt 3.

I never really got into Slug or Murs, let alone their joint effort, but the fact that Aesop Rock was doing the beats got me interested. The production is fucking fantastic, as I expected, but Slug and Murs have really grown on me. Their style is pretty simple compared to a lot of the artists I listen to, but it's way more clever than I first gave it credit for. I've had the album for a couple days and every time I listen to it I hear another bit of wordplay I hadn't noticed before. Good stuff.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • edited December 2009
    Just throwing this out there...DJ Magazine put out their top 100 of 2009. Armin Van Buuren got #1, and Oakenfold wasn't even in the top 10. And evidently Van Buuren has been rated #1 for the past 2 years.

Not saying DJ Magazine is the be all and end all of top 100 lists, but it's basically the only DJ news source I know that can be purchased in America (Borders and Barnes and Noble carry the mag) and it's basically the only top 100 DJ list I know of.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • edited December 2009
    Just throwing this out there...DJ Magazine put out theirtop 100 of 2009. Armin Van Buuren got #1, and Oakenfold wasn't even in the top 10. And evidently Van Buuren has been rated #1 for the past 2 years.
    I don't understand at all what their criteria for "DJ" is. These are electronic music artists. Not that there's anything wrong with a list like that, it just seems a little misleading to me.

This is what I think when I think "DJ":
    Post edited by Sail on

• May not exactly be new, but it was recently introduced to me, so suck it.
  • Beirut is boss.
  • I don't understand at all what their criteria for "DJ" is. These are electronic music artists.
    Well, most of them are single person acts, as opposed to groups (then again there aren't many electronic groups out there...freezepop? lol). Also, most of them play huge concerts/raves and at clubs in various areas. That would make them a DJ.
  • edited December 2009
    Also, most of them play huge concerts/raves and at clubs in various areas.
    Oh ok, got it.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Listened to some Why? today for the first time in a while. I love how they managed to transition from a hip-hop group to a folk rock group. Alopecia is a great blend of the two styles, but I don't dig their new, all folk, release Eskimo Snow nearly as much.

• I wouldn't call Eskimo Snow folk. It's more "shitty indie rock." I think Elephant Eyelash is much more folk.

Favorites of of 2009:

Pissed Jeans: King Of Jeans

This record feels like a perfect continuation to Generic Flipper. The tunes are a mix of fast, noisy punk and slow, My War-ish sludge. I've been listening to this one about once a week since it came out. Read an interview with the singer where he said he wanted listening to Pissed Jeans to be a totally draining experience, and compared their music to watching a toilet flush. I don't get any of that, I always feel like jumping around and shouting along when listening to them.

Sunn O))): Monoliths & Dimensions

The best Sunn album, easy. Every track is so different and has a unique and interesting element that doesn't get old even when stretched across 10- 17 minutes. The first track has classic Sunn riffs with slow, deep spoken word over the whole thing, plus double bass noise near the second half. Fourth song, Alice, my favorite one, evolves from White style riffing into a beautiful slow horn piece which sounds kind of like Stars of the Lid.

Totally Nebular: Boat Boat

Saw these guys play the album in its entirety twice. Sort of like Strawberry Jam era Animal Collective and Skeleton era Abe Vigoda. Can't think of much to say about it, as far as describing or whatever, but it's my favorite album of these five.

Wet Hait: Dream and Glass Fountain

From the corpse of lo-fi psych band Raccoo-oo-oon came Wet Hair. In a year where Not Not Fun have put out some of their finest releases since their inception, these records stood out. Building, dissonant psych jams, heavily influenced by Spacemen 3, with Shawn Reed leaving behind the animal yelps of Raccoo-oo-oon for real singing, murky and processed as it is. Dream feels significantly darker than Glass Fountain, and I go back and forth on which one I prefer, but both are really brilliant.
  • There's nothing quite like the Two Man Gentleman Band!
  • There's nothing quite like the Two Man Gentleman Band!
    If you don't enjoy this video on some level, you're probably just a bad person.
  • I greatly enjoyed that, anymore like it?
  • There is the Fancy Beer song.
  • This guy I know from another forum just sent me his beautiful acoustic album that he just finished and it's amazing. Extremely talented song writer. Here's one of the tracks.

He's already gotten a lot of attention from Pitchfork and the like, so he's definitely got a future in this.
  • Colin's fuckin' BLOWIN' UP y'all. And Lazy Roar was there first.