This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20100303 - Summer Wars

edited March 2010 in GeekNights
Tonight on GeekNights we review the anime movie Summer Wars. We also geekbyte Unwritten Vol. 1 and discuss the Trigun news.

Comments

• YES! This movie is amazing. Can't wait to hear what you have to say about it. Hopefully you enjoyed it as much as I did.
  • What was that little tune that Rym was whistling? It sounds really familiar but I can't place it.
  • The One Piece movies are mostly stand-alone stories. Only a few of them are "compilation" movies, and those are entire arcs completely re-animated and condensed with some changes to the story. The Pokemon movies are the same as the earlier One Piece movies, completely stand-alone. I wouldn't watch the dub, though, it has always been awful.
  • What was that little tune that Rym was whistling? It sounds really familiar but I can't place it.
  • I am wildly out of touch with current One Piece fandom, but I've seen the first couple movies. Scott, had you mentioned that you really liked the characters? I'd say just jump into movie 3 ('the Chopper one"), which is probably the first one really worth seeing. I've seen the first three, but the first two are entirely forgettable. The first one doesn't even have Sanji yet, anyway :/. Only movie 8 (a retelling of the Alabasta arc) is released in the US from FUNimation (DVD/Blu-ray).

I'm fairly sure the One Piece movies are a mix of "retelling" and "side story", similar to most other shonen TV-gone-movie releases. The biggest anomaly to this is the most recent movie (Strong World), which was written by Oda and ties in directly with the canonical story. I think there were even a couple TV episodes that directly led up to it, too...? Sounds like it kicked ass in theaters over there.

I really dig the first Pokemon movie. I grabbed it back in high school (fansubbed on VHS) from one of those basement stores on Elizabeth Street before its American release, and I've been in love ever since. The soundtrack is great, the voice acting is amazing (especially Mewtwo), and it made my little sister cry. And maybe it got a little dusty in the room for me, too. Maybe. Just sayin'. The American release added some CG on top of the Japanese "theatrical" version and changed up the soundtrack (as well as re-writing some of Mewtwo's motivations, which is another argument to be had). I'm a little fuzzy on this, but I think a later Japanese release added in some extra footage based on the audio drama that came with the soundtrack. I've never seen it other than some clips on YouTube, unfortunately, but it seems like it adds some great stuff. Another reason I like it is how (like the latest One Piece movie) it directly ties in with the anime's storyline (you see hints at Mewtwo in the first season, which are shown from a different perspective in the movie)... but it can also stand on its own.

I've seen most of the rest of the Pokemon movies (combination of in Japanese and English), and none of them really grabbed me like the first one. Movie 8 ("the Lucario and Mew one") comes close, but it's a little long for its own good. I'd say none of the rest (the ones I've seen, anyway) are really worth watching unless you're super-into the series, or happen to be playing one of the games at the time and just want to see some of the legendaries in action. Palkia's a total wuss, and that crushed my soul being a Pearl owner.

I'd say I'm about on Scott's level of excitement for the Trigun movie. I feel like I should be way more excited, but I'm... well, I'm just not. It sounds great and I look forward to watching it, but I'm not tripping over myself in excitement. That's totally weird, because I love the Hell out of the TV series (and like you guys, found the manga to be completely incomprehensible and just sold it off). Has it just been too long since I last saw the TV series...? If I watched it again, would the love for the characters return and build up some of that anticipation?
    Cowboy Bebop OST 1: The Egg and I.
  • edited March 2010
    Scott's TOTD: I think the cables coming out of the iPhone are a headphone splitter, one going to his headphones and the other going to the Mic In jack on the camera/computer he's recording from.

It could be a headphone/microphone splitter but he doesn't seem to be using an area[? brainfart] mic.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Scott Re: Hosoda's previous animation work. He did say that he started out as an assistant/inbetweener for his friend's production. Also, don't knock inbetweeners/assistants. Filling that position is how many people learn how to animate really well, and a good assistant can make or break a scene. I hate the myth that people seem to have that inbetweeners are just drones, because, in reality, they have a great effect on the movement of the finished piece. That's why people rag on outsourced inbetweens, because many times they have to be redone due to lack of skill on the part of the cheap studio.
  • Scott's TOTD: I think the cables coming out of the iPhone are a headphone splitter, one going to his headphones and the other going to the Mic In jack on the camera/computer he's recording from.

It could be a headphone/microphone splitter but he doesn't seem to be using an area[? brainfart] mic.
    Yeah, it actually looks like he's using the microphone in the iPhone itself. Thing is, when I tried using that, even in a quiet space, it sounded terrible.
  • Scott Re: Hosoda's previous animation work. He did say that he started out as an assistant/inbetweener for his friend's production. Also, don't knock inbetweeners/assistants. Filling that position is how many people learn how to animate really well, and a good assistant can make or break a scene. I hate the myth that people seem to have that inbetweeners are just drones, because, in reality, they have a great effect on the movement of the finished piece. That's why people rag on outsourced inbetweens, because many times they have to be redone due to lack of skill on the part of the cheap studio.
    This is true. In-betweeners do have the skills. If you asked me to in-between, then it would be terrible because I can't even draw. I was simply emphasizing the fact that Hosoda had high quality animation experience.
  • I've seen almost all of the One Piece movies. I didn't watch movie 8 because it's a retelling of the Alabasta arc, and I haven't seen movie 10 yet. If you are going to consider watching any of them, go with movie 4, Dead End Adventure. It's considered among the fandom to be the best movie.
  • edited March 2010
    Something that's been pointed out a lot over the internet is how Summer Wars is kind of Hosoda revisiting the plot he made for the Digimon movie. The formatting buttons won't work on these stupid school computers, so I can't spoil anything with the white text, but the idea of a malevolent computer entity taking over the internet and stopping the world from working is a decade-old idea of Hosoda's. Numerous scenes in both movies are very, very similar. Hosoda did a great job with the Digimon movie, and basically wanted to revisit that plot without the limitations of Digimon.

On the whole, though, a very good episode. I just wish the losers in my Anime club would actually watch Summer Wars when I showed it to them. I tried last week, but they just did other things because they're morons.

Edit: Let's try this again...
    Okay, details.
    1. The scene where Love Machine has multiplied and they're looking for the real one with the countdown is the same as the scene with multiple Diaboromon's, right down to the missile aimed at the location of the the protagonists.
    2. Hosoda used the same indignant striking of the keyboard key with both Kenji in Summer Wars and Koushiro/Izzy in the Digimon movie.
    3. Also, when the sailor dude plops his boat into the harbor and has all the water drench everyone happens at the end of the Digimon movie with the missile going into the water.
    All in all, besides the first big thing, Hosoda simply reused some images that he liked. Not a huge deal, but definitely interesting.
    Post edited by Axel on
  • so I can't spoil anything with the white text
    Learn some HTML.
  • so I can't spoil anything with the white text
    Learn some HTML.
    Done, edits made.
  • This > Scott's ToTD.
  • This > Scott's ToTD.
    That not using $5 iPhone app.
  • We also geekbyteUnwritten Vol. 1
    Glad you gave it a good review, as I just purchased it on Amazon.uk, still wont be here till next weekend, as it only comes out on Thursday next week. Sigh. At least it was only £5
  • I haven't listened to this episode yet because I wanted to watch the movie first since you all seemed so impressed by it.

I just finished watching Summer Wars. Fantasmic film. Although the theme wasn't exactly original (.hack//Sign, .hack//Liminality, Dennou Coil, etc...) the plot, characters, and their execution was brilliant. That could have easily been a 13 episode series and yet they fit it all within a couple of hours without it seeming at all rushed. And the artwork was fantastic; I particularly liked the In-Game portions which reminded me a lot of the short Louis Vuitton video "Superflat Monogram". This is easily one of my favorite animated movies within the last few years. I await the dub so I can show it to the rest of my family.

However, the one thing I hate about these kinds of anime is that I REALLY WANT TO PLAY THAT FUCKING GAME NOW.
  • I REALLY WANT TO PLAY THAT FUCKING GAME NOW.
    What? Hanafuda, or Superflat Street Fighter?
  • I picked up The Unwritten and plan on reading it today. I've taken a break from comics, but your geekbyte on it piqued my interest.
  • I REALLY WANT TO PLAY THAT FUCKING GAME NOW.
    I think he means Oz. And I agree if he did. Having Oz control our lives would be awesome, albeit easily destroyed like in the movie.
  • edited March 2010
    I REALLY WANT TO PLAY THAT FUCKING GAME NOW.
    I think he means Oz. And I agree if he did. Having Oz control our lives would be awesome, albeit easily destroyed like in the movie.
    Yeah, I expect to see something like it emerge from Google within the next 10 years. Which reminds me, I thought them naming it OZ was pretty clever.

But, yeah, Hanafuda looks fun too.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • So, I got Everyday Looper, and it's the total shit. About using the crappy iPhone internal mic, a simple RCA cable will allow you to hook in an external mic. It also helps to use headphones or a larger speaker. Also, maybe you just haven't messed with it enough, but it indeed is extremely easy to use. I improvised a cover of a Spectrum song this morning. Never has jamming by myself been so effective, and I didn't have to pay $160 for a Loop Station.
  • a simple RCA cable will allow you to hook in an external mic
    I have plenty of RCA->TRS connectors, but won't I need RCA->TRRS to make it work?
  • edited March 2010
    a simple RCA cable will allow you to hook in an external mic
    I have plenty of RCA->TRS connectors, but won't I need RCA->TRRS to make it work?
    Well, yeah. How do you not have any RCA->TRRS? I've accumulated like three without even trying. When buying something video-related, you usually get one.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Well, yeah. How do you not have any RCA->TRRS? I've accumulated like three without even trying. When buying something video-related, you usually get one.
    Oh shit, I think my webcam might have come with one.
  • I just got Everyday Looper and spent an hour pissing about with it. This is going to be great to play with on the move.

This tutorial/demo video is awesome:
  • edited March 2010
    I saw Summer Wars today and it was really impressive. Fucking great movie in my opinion and after seeing this and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time earlier this year, it really makes me wonder if Mamoru Hosoda is the next big anime director. He certainly has been showing great promise with those two movies.

Coincidentally enough, he has also directed a One Piece movie, the quality of those also being inquired about in this episode. I believe I've seen that movie but I really don't remember much of it. I might re-watch it tomorrow. Got it around somewhere. I also have yet to see the newest OP movie, Strong World, but I have heard good things about it and it is in fact canon and was under the supervision of Oda (the manga's author) so that might be the best bet.

As for watching animated One Piece without having to put up with too long fights and filler, I think One Piece could get the Dragonball Kai treatment of adaptation distillation, but certainly not until the series ends and that could take a while :X
    I'll report back once I've seen the two movies mentioned above.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • Watched this movie last night and thought it was amazing. The animation was fantastic, especially the kitchen and school computer room scenes.