This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Post music you have made.

Comments

• This is good; I enjoyed listening to it.
  • Just got done with this.
  • Just got done withthis.
    This is great.
  • edited March 2010
    Just got done withthis.
    I was waiting for that song to climax the entire time; the whole thing feels like it's building up to something, especially from 1:56 to the end. Somewhere from 2:06 to 2:30 would have made for the perfect "FUCK YEAH SMASH YOUR FACE IN" crescendo, which would have made the "crossfade into creepy ghost train sound" at the end even more satisfying. As it is I think it's a really good song, but I also felt like it left me hangin'.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • I agree, and I've been trying to make my songs more dramatic, structurally. I feel like, if anything, this is a big improvement from just a couple months ago when my songs would be the same thing repeated for two minutes with only slight variation and maybe an improvised solo.
  • edited March 2010
    I have an experiment for you guys, I recorded this piano track, shall we call it Experiment? It's some melodic Ideas I had with some improv in between, no edits, all of my mistakes are there. I want anyone to take the midi files and edit them, add to it change it as much as you want, then upload it, and have someone else repeat the process. Together as a whole we shall make this a worthy song. hopefully this won't be the first time we do this.

Title: TBA
    Key: D minor
    Mood: creepy.

Now, can anyone tell me of a way to upload the midi files?
    Post edited by La Petit Mort on
  • Now, can anyone tell me of a way to upload the midi files?
    Zip them and put them on Mediafire.
  • Midi files are here.
  • edited March 2010
    Here's another little something that I'm quite proud of. I've used a bunch of samples in this one, and to be polite/legal I'd like to attribute them to their sources. There isn't a description section on Tindeck, and putting all the names in the "Artist" tag on the MP3 seems sort of clunky. Is there a better way to do this?

EDIT: I changed a few things my sleep deprived brain didn't think of this morning.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • I have an experiment for you guys, I recorded this piano track, shall we call itExperiment? It's some melodic Ideas I had with some improv in between, no edits, all of my mistakes are there. I want anyone to take the midi files and edit them, add to it change it as much as you want, then upload it, and have someone else repeat the process. Together as a whole we shall make this a worthy song. hopefully this won't be the first time we do this.

Title: TBA
    Key: D minor
    Mood: creepy.

Now, can anyone tell me of a way to upload the midi files?

ah... the saddest of all keys
  • edited March 2010
    Which is why I chose it, I like making dark music.

No one wants to work on it? Aww, I was getting excited. I like some of the ideas I played, but of course the track sucks, but I wanted to try this idea for a long time, so I decided to use that track for this purpose.
  • edited March 2010
    Which is why I chose it, i like making dark music.

No one wants to work on it? Aww, I was getting excited. I like some of the ideas I played, but of course the track sucks, but I wanted to try this idea for a long time, so I decided to use that track for this purpose.
    What's the chord progression and BPM?
    and are you able to write out some of it?
    Post edited by Scotty_Did on
  • I made an album with a guest artist. Go listen to it (I promise this isn't a rickroll)!
  • My second Healthy Animal album, Empty, is available on cassette for $4 from Lazy Roar Records, Sail's record label. You can download it here.
  • edited May 2010

In my list of 50 goals and plans for 2010 I wrote "6.1 Write an album's-worth of new songs and record them by the end of the year" which I'm interpreting as one song per month.

Here is the song from "April" -- meaning I didn't write a song in April, and I'm now catching up. I wrote this song last night, and recorded it just this afternoon. I've not played the guitar much, due to being away all of April, and my fingers now hurt quite a bit.

The song is called Work It Out Yourself, and was inspired by someone on the internet asking how me to do something quite simple. It made me think of the XKCD "Tech Support Cheat Sheet" comic.

So I wrote a song, not about computers specifically, but about the idea of doing the work yourself, so next time you have the same problem you'll just know what to do.

The song is less than a day old, so I'm sure it will change and improve over time. Maybe, with a bit more practice, I'll even be able to sing it properly.

XKCD 627: 'Hey Megan, it's your father. How do I print out a flowchart?'
    Post edited by Luke Burrage on
  • I noticed I forgot to post my song from March. Special guest: a piano!

In my list of 50 goals and plans for 2010 I wrote "6.1 Write an album's-worth of new songs and record them by the end of the year…" which I'm interpreting as one song per month.

Here is the song from March. It's called Out of Reach and Out of Sight.

It's been a slow burner, as far as writing is concerned, and I don't consider it quite finished as yet. I had the music composed by the end of March, and had the feel for the lyrics, but I hit a wall. I had lots of inspiration on different topics, but none fit this music. The current lyrics are about a secret relationship, but as it sometimes takes me years to finish the lyrics of a song, it might not stay that way.

I recorded it now because I'm leaving this ship tomorrow, going home, and then taking all of May off work. That means I'll be back to the guitar, and have no easy access to a piano. I wrote the February song on a piano, then recorded it with a guitar. This time I wanted to capture how the song sounds in my head when I wrote it.

Actually, in my head there are drums and bass too. And someone better at singing than I am. And a better pianist too.

Maybe I should start a band.
  • Want to start a drone-noisegaze band with me?
  • Yesterday I got a Stylophone, so I used it to do a partially acoustic version of a Catch 22/BotAR/Streetlight song.

Dear Sergio
  • Yesterday I got aStylophone, so I used it to do a partially acoustic version of a Catch 22/BotAR/Streetlight song.

Dear Sergio
    Nicely done, man. I don't think I've actually heard of the Stylophone until now; it's got a neat sound.
  • Thanks! I'm loving it, it's really fun to mess with. Completely worth $15.
  • I listened to nothing but Go Sailor yesterday and ended up writing and recording a twee/indie pop song in a span of about four hours.
  • edited May 2010
    What should I do with the first half of this song?

I will also increase the volume of the vocals a tad, the were supposed to be low on the mix, but they are inaudible in parts.
  • edited May 2010
    The piano, with the way it's timed, feels kind of awkward against the backbeat at the beginning.

The second part of the song, after the main vocals come in, sounds really cool. Kind of industrial.

[Edit] Also, I am really fond of buried vocals. I don't think that they necessarily need to be louder.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • The piano, with the way it's timed, feels kind of awkward against the backbeat at the beginning.

The second part of the song, after the main vocals come in, sounds really cool. Kind of industrial.

[Edit] Also, I am really fond of buried vocals. I don't think that they necessarily need to be louder.
    That has all been fixed. Now my main problem is that the vocals clip out. Which will be fixed soon enough.
  • edited May 2010
    Sorry for double post, but here's the updated version of the song, the doubled vocals exist because I was going to fix a mistake the first take had, and accidentally began recording a measure late, upon listening I decided that I liked it. They are way too high in the mix now, but screw it. -__-

Listen!

Edit: FUUUUU- second static wave is way too loud.
  • Sounds good, mang.
  • Sounds good, mang.
    Seconded.
  • Cielmort, I really like the track, and the off-time piano at the start is one of the reasons. I think you should keep it off-time for longer, and then when it comes back into time it'll be a good resolution.

Sail, your song may be twee, but I really like it too!

I recorded a song myself yesterday, and when the video I've made for it finishes rendering I'll post it here. It's at 17% and says it'll take two hours.
  • Sail, your song may be twee, but I really like it too!
    :D Thanks!
  • edited May 2010

Edit: I think youtube converted the bitrate of the music in this video badly, and the sound suffers. Next time I'll upload a 41,000 video instead of a 48,000 video.

In my list of 50 goals and plans for 2010 I wrote “6.1 Write an album’s-worth of new songs and record them by the end of the year” which I’m interpreting as one song per month.

On Thursday night I started writing this song, and came up with the chords and melody. I had no clue what the song would be about, so I filled in a few lines with "The chorus is the inverse of the verse" and "The middle eight at first seems unique." Then I went to sleep, and woke up on Friday with the thought, "I'm going to write the entire song about itself."

So I did. I named it "This", probably the most self-referential name for anything, with the subtitle "new song for May", which it also is, and is also a line in the song too.

I decided to record this one properly, instead of just playing it on the guitar or piano. Because it's a song about writing a pop song, I went for a quite modern pop production, with full auto-tune and dance beats. It took about 3 hours on Friday evening, when I could have been doing something more important, but I really like the end result. Maybe I'll actually write some real words for the song, but I doubt it.

And today I went for yet another cycle around the old airport, so thought I might as well include a 2050m bike ride video as the official music video.

Enjoy!
    Post edited by Luke Burrage on