This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Show Ideas and Reminders

Comments

• From the retrospective episode: Traffic waves, and prisons.
  • H.P. Lovecraft/Cthulu Mythos. I told a friend I wouldn't read Lovecraft until you did a show on him.
    I second this. I've read Lovecraft, but I've rarely cared enough to play any related games. Tell me why this is cool.
  • Do an episode on the command line. Please.
  • You mentioned on the Halloween episode something about Rym's hat...and how there were several tales about this hat, including how it died.

...prison episode.
  • Oh, and I'd be interested in hearing episodes on both the differences of electronic music genres and how to detect hackers on a network.
  • edited February 2007
    Hey Sail, I'll teach you about Windows command line commands and syntax, let Rym and Scott do a show about Bash syntax and commands.

Anyway, I say "Zombies: Part 2" should be next Thursdays topic. Just a reminder.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Hey Sail, I'll teach you about Windows command line commands and syntax..
    I couldn't care less about Windows commands, no offense. There is hardly any reason to ever use the command line in Windows. I'm much more interested in learning more Bash.
  • A week about people you don't like (a shit week, so to speak).
  • Hey Sail, I'll teach you about Windows command line commands and syntax..
    I couldn't care less about Windows commands, no offense. There is hardly any reason to ever use the command line in Windows. I'm much more interested in learning more Bash.
    Hey! The Windows command line has so many useful features! You know, there's ipconfig, ping, and... uh... y'know...
  • edited March 2007
    Well, it's election time again. May primaries are upon us, and in Ohio the partisan registration deadline to run has passed.

Thusly, I would like to request a series of political debates between Rym and Scott, much like those we have on the forums. Set aside a bunch of Thursdays to argue relevant political issues that candidates should be answering to: Budgets, deficit spending, ethics, net neutrality, taxes, trade deals, national security, etc. Each of you should take a side and argue fairly and succinctly until one of you is either dead or throws in the towel.

Though I often disagree with the two of you boneheads, I still feel that discussing the issues on-air and in the forums helps me reflect on my stances and re-evaluate some of them. It might also enlighten some of our foreign friends as to how we view political issues in the U.S. versus how they are reported abroad.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • I suggest doing a review of Gin Tama.

The anime isn't available in America yet, but the first volume of the manga will be released soon. It's a hilarious show and manga that combines
    1. samurai
    2. aliens
    3. terrorists
    4. a giant duck
    5. parodies (of Death Note, Bleach, etc.)
    6. awesome Japanese puns.
  • Bring back the "How not to suck" shows for Thursdays.
  • What about if you guys review the movie "The Fly" from 1986
  • edited April 2007
    Maybe some stuff about classic literature; Shakespeare, Dante, Chaucer, Milton, whoever. It could be interesting hearing your comments and opinions on these pieces we've all read in Literature Class.

Also how about an episode on Godzilla
    Post edited by ZakoSoldier on
  • I want to hear some of those oft-alluded-to episodes about geek food.
  • edited April 2007
    Well, I have an idea for a theme week: RIT week.

Basically, you could just make the main bit of each day RIT related. For example: On Monday, you could talk about some of the classes you guys took at RIT (or RIT in general), Tuesday you could talk about some of the gaming that goes/went on at RIt, etc.
    If you're willing to put some effort into it, you could actually talk about a certain aspect of RIT as it is now, or just cop out with some relevant stories (either would be entertaining). Thursday you could probably tell some tales of the FRC's antics at RIT, or something else, if you want.
    Of course, if you were willing to go all the way, you could even make the TotD and news bits RIT-related.

Have at.
    Post edited by ProfPangloss on
  • Well I figured I ought to throw in an idea or risk having Rym & Scott talk about their nuts again. So for a Thursday show, how about you talk about weird/interesting foods that you have eaten.
  • edited April 2007
    How not to suck at High School, More about Anime clubs, & the history of programming languages.
    Post edited by CHOIS CHOIS CHOIS on
  • How about getting Emily to do a show on how she met both of you and what not?
  • How about getting Emily to do a show on how she met both of you and what not?
    RIT Anime Club. 'nuff said.
  • Please review the Basilisk anime! I just watched the first episode and loved it. I hope the rest is just as good, but it's a Gonzo show, so I'm kinda scared that it'll transform into a shit-fest by episode twelve. Nevertheless, I really don't see how Gonzo can ruin a show filled with ninja wars and corrupted leaders. Hopefully, you guys can watch the whole series and soften the blow for me if it sucks, or convince me to see the rest.
  • Maybe you guys can talk about Arrested Development, it was a pretty awesome series
  • Chrono, they haven't watched TV in years, so I doubt they even know what it is.
  • Chrono, they haven't watched TV in years, so I doubt they even know what it is.
    OH HOW WRONG YOU ARE.

STEVE HOLT!

Beatrice.....
  • edited April 2007
    Maybe some stuff about classic literature; Shakespeare, Dante, Chaucer, Milton, whoever. It could be interesting hearing your comments and opinions on these pieces we've all read in Literature Class.
    This would be a great topic. I would be happy to help. I nearly have enough english credits to add up to a B.S. I just haven't collected them yet. I'm thinking pretty seriously about doing that now. I could take maybe a couple of courses at say, George Washington University (that's where E.E. Doc Smith went to school), and finish that degree. It wouldn't be all that useful, but it'd be fun. Also, it'd be nice to have a degree from a school other than U.K. On a more useful note, GWU says they have night EE classes. I might start doing that and get the english credits along the way.

ZakoSoldier's comment above and Jason's subsequent comment about geek food remind me of Douglas Coupland's book Microserfs. You could do an episode on that book alone. Maybe you could do one just about Coupland and all his other books. How about an episode about Chuck Palahniuk, Doulas Hofstadter, or Bret Easton Ellis?

This also reminds me: I'm not gonna go nuts about "sticky" topic suggestions, but I have one more: How about a sticky topic for recommendations for good movies, TV shows, books, comics, anime, toys, websites, tech/computer stuff, YouTube videos, music, college courses, employment advice, etc. so people can easily make recommendations and they can be easily seen by everyone? People could also post about crappy things others should avoid.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • How about a thursday on things that you hate? Personal opinions usually require no research and little effort and I usually find rants of any type enjoyable.

possible topics could include
    Specific people that you hate, possibly with names witheld (I think you talked about doing that once)
    general types of people that you don't like/personality traits that you don't like
    Policies that you hate (zero-tolerance policies or stuff like that for example)
    General stupid things that people keep doing
    etc.

You could probably do the same thing with things that you like but that wouldn't be quite as entertaining.
  • When are you guys going to review the Nick anime; Avatar?
  • edited April 2007
    When are you guys going to review the Nick anime; Avatar?
    Dude, I don't think R&S; Watch Anime that came from America.
    Although the show is good, It's a step in the right direction for American animation companies. As long as they don't make crap like Totally Spies and Code:Leokko that only have the style and not the story elements that Japanese Anime have.
    Post edited by CHOIS CHOIS CHOIS on
    I specifically remember them mentioning Avatar. And if it came from America, don't call it anime.
    Although the show is good, It's a step in the right direction for American animation companies. As long as they don't make crap like Totally Spies and Code:Leokko that only have the style and not the story elements that Japanese Anime have.
    Rym likes avatar. I haven't watched Avatar, and I remain skeptical. Totally Spies is French.