This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What book are you reading now/have finished?

GeoGeo
edited April 2010 in Everything Else
In terms of book or literature threads, the only time I ever hear about anybody reading anything, it goes in the occasionally posted in "Good Books" thread. Thus, I have created this thread.
Very simply, what book are you currently reading now and what do you think of it so far?

My dad recently got me this book after I indirectly heard of it's existence through Scrym. I learned of it after hearing about H.H. Holmes from the worst people in history episode. The book in question is Erik Larson's "Devil in the White City". I just picked it up and the opening lines just hooked me immediately. I cannot wait to see what Larson has done with this...

Comments

• I've talked about it before on the other thread, but I'm still working through The Judging Eye by R Scott Bakker. I don't really know what it is about this book, but I just can't get excited about it like I did the first three. I plowed through those books. This book is more like, well I kinda feel like reading it tonight. I think I would attribute it to a distinct lack of Kellhus, who is an awesome character, and more emphasis on other characters, who aren't nearly as interesting in their new roles.

Also on my bedstand is a book about artificial intelligence that is called, (gasp!) "Artificial Intelligence". It's a textbook, so that's all I should really have to say about that.
  • The Judging Eyeby R Scott Bakker. I don't really know what it is about this book, but I just can't get excited about it like I did the first three.
    It was maddening that, for the entire first trilogy, you have a direct view from within Kelhus's mind, and now you're left guessing. It does work, though. Notice how the focus characters in Judging Eye are people who know something's up with Kelhus. We're now forced to see from their perspective, one where Kehlus is wholly inscrutable.

The book has deep homage. It edges into being the Hyperion sequel a little, but seems to ground itself in the philosophy and eloquence that made the first three so amazing. I will reserve the judgement of my own Eye until the series is complete.
  • seems to ground itself in the philosophy and eloquence that made the first three two and a half so amazing.
  • I just started Year of the Black Rainbow by Claudio Sanchez and Peter David. It looks promising so far.
  • Hey, tell me how that is. The comics were alright, if poorly paced. Claudio isn't a terrible writer, and I'm curious about how he approaches a novel.
  • Right now I'm finally getting around to reading Scott Pilgrim. Of course it is teh awesome. The moment I know it was, was when I read "we are sex bob-omb!" Now I am REALLY hoping they do it justice on the big screen.
  • I picked up a couple Black Jack volumes at MoCCA Fest last Sunday - 2 and 10. They're pretty fucking great.
  • Working on "The Dreaming Void" by Peter F Hamilton. I really enjoyed his previous books in the commonwealth series (Pandora Star and Judas Unchained). I'm listening to this one on audible and have already decided to get the next one in the series :) Great Sci-Fi books.
  • Currently between Hyperion and The Fall of Hyperion. The former was pretty good, and I'm just waiting till I have a moment to get into the latter.
  • I'm reading Scott Pilgrim too, through the 3rd Novel, but my stance is kind of "Meh..." They are progressively better, but it isn't the over-the-top, consistent referencing hilarity fest I thought it would be. I'll probably finish the series, but I'm hoping for payoff, since I find the romance to be kind of weak.
  • I'm reading Scott Pilgrim too, through the 3rd Novel, but my stance is kind of "Meh..." They are progressively better, but it isn't the over-the-top, consistent referencing hilarity fest I thought it would be. I'll probably finish the series, but I'm hoping for payoff, since I find the romance to be kind of weak.
    I too am reading Scott Pilgrim. I've read up to volume 2 and I'm really happy that it isn't the stupid video game reference fest that it could have been. In fact, the fights have been my least favorite parts. Different strokes.
  • I'm reading Girl, Interrupted by Susanna Kaysen.
    The movie was really great, so I thought I'd give the book a shot.
    I too am reading Scott Pilgrim. I've read up to volume 2 and I'm really happy that it isn't the stupid video game reference fest that it could have been. In fact, the fights have been my least favorite parts. Different strokes.
    I'm really digging it. I like how the references aren't so blatant. Of course to any geek will probably get the jokes but it's not name dropping all the time. It's not the sort of joke made on a bad sitcom where they basically mention the name of a game character which is somewhat related the the subject, hoping the audience will think "this is a name I have heard, therefore this reference must be funny." And just the whole atmosphere is what I like about it. The stupid jokes that involve "your mom" and things like that make it up my alley.
  • The first Scott Pilgrim book. Loved it and immediately re-read it after completing it.
  • Gardens of the Moon by Erickson. So far it's a solid fantasy novel.
  • Got back into Pluto. Almost done with volume 2. So far, each volume has me tearing up.
  • edited April 2010
    On recommendation from Scott, I am reading Devil in the White City. When I take breaks from that I am reading a collection of H.P. Lovecraft's works. I love them both.
    Post edited by Kerr_2.0 on
  • On recommendation from Scott, I am reading Devil in the White City. When I take breaks from that I am reading a collection of H.P. Lovecraft's works. I love them both.
    Wait, wait, wait, when did Scott recommend this book?
  • PAX East 2010, in person. I had not yet viewed this thread. To his credit he had said that someone from the forum had given it to him to read, no idea who that is though.
  • Just got Abandon The Old In Tokyo.
  • The Ulitmate Rush
  • edited April 2010
    George R.R. Martin Dreamsongs Vol. 2

I need to read the Wildcard novels after this. Has anyone else read those books?
    Post edited by Wyatt on
  • GeoGeo
    edited May 2010
    In between reading Devil in the White City, I have just started (as in yesterday) reading With the Light: Raising an Autistic Child. What a book...what a book. It was painful for me to read because I lived the life that Hikaru (the aformentioned child) lived when I was his age due to the fact that I'm partially Autistic myself. I understand completely what he went though and I saw a little of myself in him, and this series is painfully accurate about what Autism is like; it holds no punches whatsoever. I don't I can describe the level of my sadness when I found out that the mangaka of this series (Keiko Tobe) died just 4 months ago, and how I will never know what has become of Hikaru when he is older. If any of you on the forums are either planning on having children in the future or do not understand Autism and would like to know more about it, you owe to yourselves to please read this series. To the former: Autism just pops out of nowhere and there is currently no possible way of knowing how it occurs.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Second Scott Pilgrim book.
  • Second Scott Pilgrim book.
    Mildly Congratulatory response. Inquiry into your enjoyment of said book.
  • I re-reading Osamu Tezuka's Phoenix: Nostalgia, the first time I read it I thought it was meh, now I think it awesome. But still very cathartic, incest is kind of hard swallow :O
  • "The Return of the Black Company" by Glen Cook.
  • Blood Sucking Fiends by Christopher Moore (funny, light reading) and Perdido Street Station by China Miéville. I am not deep into Perdido Street Station, but so far it seems a bit over written, but intriguing.
  • Perdido Street Station
    It's a good book, but it's brutal in a way that few things I have read are.
  • Halo: Fall of Reach

This is the third time I've read this book. I don't know why I like it so much.