This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What Have You Been Listening To? (Don't make this thread a wall of embedded youtubes)

Comments

• And Lazy Roar was there first.
    Problem is, the people with the press power really don't give a shit :)
  • New Circa Survive
  • New Circa Survive
    They're going to be touring with Coheed and Cambria and Torche.

New Coheed album forthcoming, btw.

• E.S. Posthumus apparently released a new album recently. For a sample:
  • SHIT YEAH

• edited March 2010
    Fuck yes, Balkan Beat Box is releasing a new album. Recorded in Tel Aviv and Belgrade during anti-Kosovo riots.

Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Year of the Black Rainbow leaked.

• New Streetlight Manifesto album is hot shit. Supernova-hot shit.

• edited March 2010
    Ahh! I can't wait to get it in the mail! They were smart and made the vinyl version the same price as the CD, otherwise they probably wouldn't have gotten my money. How can you possibly say no to a $10 record?

The Punk Rock Girl and Linoleum covers are super awesome as well.

Post edited by Sail on
  • "Hell" is one of my favorites. SNZ are awesome, Streetlight is awesome, swing revival is awesome, ska is awesome. It's like a four-layer awesome cake!

• We pretty much just posted like half the album.

Bottom line: It's all good.
  • Also, Best Coast is a pretty fun, new band. In WhaleShark terms, their genre would be classified as "pre-post-Beach Boys".

• This is almost a year old, so not necessarily new, but I just came across this, and I enjoyed it immensely.
  • edited April 2010
    It's not really new, but I just bought Explosions in the Sky's most recent album and I'm really digging it.

Can we repurpose this thread to be some kind of "Music you are listening to" thread along the lines of the "Movies you just watched" thread? I feel like I'd post in here a lot more if it was more like that.
    Post edited by Koholint on
  • edited April 2010
    Can we repurpose this thread to be some kind of "Music you are listening to" thread along the lines of the "Movies you just watched" thread? I feel like I'd post in here a lot more if it was more like that.
    See, my only problem with that is that it's just going to become a wall of YouTube embeds, like an even more useless version of the Things of Your Day thread. At least with the Movies thread, you have to actually talk about the movie.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Yeah, I can see that being a problem too, but I can't really think of a good way around it.
  • Can we repurpose this thread to be some kind of "Music you are listening to" thread along the lines of the "Movies you just watched" thread? I feel like I'd post in here a lot more if it was more like that.
    See, my only problem with that is that it's just going to become a wall of YouTube embeds, like an even more useless version of the Things of Your Day thread. At least with the Movies thread, you have to actually talk about the movie.
    You can still have a discussion of what music you're listening to on a thread like this. There aren't links in the movie thread is because there are almost no full length videos that you could embed, and the time investment is much higher. Also movies have enough media hype for them that you would generally know about the good movies coming out. But if you begin talking about a little-known indie film I would want a link to where I could find it. That's a part of getting others to watch it and starting the discussion since few, if any, people would have watched it already.

There is so much fantastic music that I've never heard before that having someone share bands with you is almost necessary. I consider most music to be like indie films; it might be great, but I have very little chance to find it without someone telling me about it. If someone were make it so I only have to click one button in order to listen to something new, I encourage them to do so.

With that said, I recently found the metal instrumental band Ryashon.
  • Yeah, I can see that being a problem too, but I can't really think of a good way around it.
    Let's just try talking about music we're listening to. I like talking about music.

I've been listening to Aesop Rock's older albums lately; Bazooka Tooth, Fast Cars, and the Daylight EP in particular. Honestly, when it comes to Bazooka Tooth I want to love the production, but I just don't feel it. Most of them have a good beat, a really nice, sort of glitchy aesthetic, but too often the melody that comes with it wrecks the whole vibe. The beat in No Jumper Cables really bothers me in that respect.

The progression of how obscure Aes' lyrics are is interesting. Daylight came out in 2002, and is one of the easiest to understand of his catalogue. After that he made Bazooka Tooth which is, for me, almost completely impenetrable. Most of the time I haven't got goddamn clue what the guy is talking about on that album, but then came Fast Cars, Danger, Fire and Knives, which is somewhere between the two previous two. His most recent, None Shall Pass, is definitely more straightforward than anything else he's made (though not by much). I feel like, as he's become more professional and experienced as an artist, he's learned to reign it in a little. To sharpen that talent for wordplay and metaphor into something recognisable.

Ironically, one of my favourite songs out of those three doesn't have Aes on it, and in another he drops the act entirely. I love the first one partially because it combines a hip-hop beat with the sort of music you rarely hear in the genre, and partially because it conjures images in my mind of Legolas rockin' a pair of headphones, an Elvish cassiotone, and a drum machine.

And this one because it conveys two things that I love in Hip-Hop; an emotional message and a story. It's a not burner for the whiffs.

• Gunter has set the standard.

I have been listening to almost nothing but Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti for the past two weeks. Ariel Pink worked solo for a really long time making exceptionally scuzzy, home-recorded pop songs. He's been incredibly prolific, considering that he has released about ten albums in the last eight years. His songs also usually have a really dated sound to them, as if someone tape recorded them off of a radio in the late 70s and has now tried to copy them to digital with 25+ years of degradation.

However, he pretty recently started playing with a full band and is dropping the "lo-fi" aspect of his music with the new album, Before Today, which leaked recently and is better than ever. Really addicting, really catchy, kinda strange, but overall really good. It has been on constant rotation in my car since I got it. The chorus of this song, in particular, has been stuck in my head perpetually since I heard it about a month ago.

One song I was kind of bummed not to see on this album, however, was Flashback, which was released as a single sometime last year. Another really catchy chorus and I love how the song drops into a hardcore punk section at the bridge.

Definitely can understand people not being able to get into this on the "cheese" factor alone but, if you can, it's so worth it. Dude has made a lot of really wonderful and fun music.
  • I get my music from Rock Band, cause I'm lame like that. But this is really badass for any of you prog fans.

• His songs also usually have a really dated sound to them, as if someone tape recorded them off of a radio in the late 70s and has now tried to copy them to digital with 25+ years of degradation.
    Now it sounds like that but with good sound quality. While I don't actually enjoy Ariel Pink, for some reason it makes me happy that people still make music like this. Some of the songs on The Protomen's The Father of Death gave me the same feeling. Light up the Night sounds like it could be thirty years old.
  • Lately, I've been digging the Cat Empire and the Flobots. Not new, but good nonetheless.
  • edited April 2010
    The Cat Empire
    Man, I was on the Cat empire street team for years, I still have a bunch of their swag. Met Felix and Ollie once, they're pretty chilled dudes, and I still have a handwritten postcard from Felix that says "Churba, You've got an awesome name, man! Rock out, see you again, Felix"

How'd you find them, anyway? They're pretty obscure outside of Australia.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited April 2010
    I'm still obsessed with Skitliv.

Finntroll's newest is awesome.

I was recently turned onto Mirrorthrone by my buddy Mike. It's a one-man black metal project. Crazy intricate music. Good stuff.

Also, everyone who likes power metal should listen to Kalmah's They Will Return. They're a melodic death metal act with a strong, aggressive, power metal influence. Very thrashy. Excellent stuff.
    How'd you find them, anyway? They're pretty obscure outside of Australia.
    I saw them live once, for free, in Albany. They were pretty freakin' great.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • How'd you find them, anyway?
    Our friend Yuko recommended them to me for the fact that their music espoused the life I should like to lead. It was a good fit, as I enjoy ska and ska-like things mightily.
  • edited April 2010
    I saw them live once, for free, in Albany. They were pretty freakin' great.
    Apparently, they're also oddly popular in Cuba.
    Our friend Yuko recommended them to me for the fact that their music espoused the life I should like to lead. It was a good fit, as I enjoy ska and ska-like things mightily.
    Sweet! When I get back to Australia, you want some of my old swag? I got doubles or triples of most stuff, I think, so I can hit you up with one for yourself, one for Yuko, if none of them were damaged in storage, or my Ex didn't throw them out before I moved. No strings attached, no money involved, fuck it, just have it, I got too many of them anyway.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited April 2010
    I was recently turned ontoMirrorthroneby my buddy Mike. It's a one-man black metal project. Crazy intricate music. Good stuff.
    This is strangely enthralling. At least, judging from this one song.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Yeah...the whole new Circa Survive album is pretty much amazing.
  • the Flobots [are] good
    lol.

I watched a BBC documentary on the seminal psych/space rock group Hawkwind today. I'm not a huge fan of these guys, since the majority of their work delves far too deep into prog rock territory, which I am not comfortable with. However, they made one record in 1973, an behemoth live album called Space Ritual, where every track is a brain melting psychedelic freak out. The doc got me back on this album, and I'm appreciating it a lot more. They're sort of like a more down to earth Acid Mothers Temple, which is still pretty fucking insane, just easier to wrap your head around. Lemmy from Motorhead plays bass, by the way.

• delves far too deep into prog rock territory, which I am not comfortable with.
    Not comfortable with prog rock? I would figure you'd find it pretty bland and tame next to your various noise music.