This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

New Laptop Maybe...

edited May 2010 in Technology
My laptop is pretty slow. It's a Fujitsu P7230, but it's just a core solo. It stills erves me fine, but working on Project D.O.R.F. is showing it's age.

Meanwhile, it looks like Lenovo is clearing the way for new models in the X series, so the X200 is on crazy sale. The new model will probably be much better, but will be far more expensive. The current model is definitely powerful enough, with i5, plenty of RAM, 128GB SSD, etc. They are even giving a crazy extra warranty for 20 cents.

Should I jump on this current X200, or wait for the next one?

Comments

• edited May 2010
    Could you give some more details on price and configuration? I'm guessing you mean the deal here; $1249 with a nice warranty, and you can get a further $150 off with the coupon code "USPLENOVODEALS".
    The X201 is a great laptop, and, with the discount, rather well priced for an ultraportable.

Intel's next-gen platform, Sandy Bridge, is coming in 2011; you'll be waiting a while if you want to wait. Keep in mind that Lenovo actually does crazy deals fairly often, though.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • ThinkPad X201

Processor: Intel Core i5-520M Processor (2.40-2.93GHz, 3MB L3, 1066MHz FSB) 1
    Operating system: Genuine Windows 7 Professional 64 1
    Operating system language: Genuine Windows 7 Professional 64 US English 1
    Display type: 12.1" WXGA LED Panel, 2x2 UltraConnect II antenna; with Camera and Wireless Broadband Upgradeable 1
    Total memory: 4 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1067MHz SODIMM Memory (2 DIMM) 1
    Keyboard: Keyboard US English 1
    Pointing Device: TrackPoint with Fingerprint Reader and Touchpad 1
    Hard Drive: 128 GB Solid State Drive, Serial ATA 1
    System expansion slots: 5-1 Media Card Reader and Modem 1
    Battery: ThinkPad X200 Series 6 cell Li-Ion Battery 1
    Power cord: Country Pack North America with Line cord & 65W AC adapter 1
    Bluetooth: Bluetooth w/ antenna 1
    Integrated WiFi wireless LAN adapters: Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200 (2x2 AGN) 1
    Integrated mobile broadband: Integrated Mobile Broadband - Upgradable 1
    Language Pack: Win7 Language Pack US English

Sale price: $1,681.98 *
    Total savings: $714.00 *

I can pay $50 to make a minor CPU upgrade from
    Intel Core i5-520M Processor (2.40-2.93GHz, 3MB L3, 1066MHz FSB)
    to
    Intel Core i5-540M Processor (2.53-3.06GHz, 3MB L3, 1066MHz FSB) [add $50.00]

Is there a point?
  • edited May 2010
    Add the "USPLENOVODEALS" coupon on top of that for a further 15% off.
    As for the $50 CPU upgrade, the only difference is 133MHz (~5%), which I think is definitely not worth it.
  • Add the "USPLENOVODEALS" coupon on top of that for a further 15% off.
    As for the $50 CPU upgrade, the only difference is 133MHz (~5%), which I think is definitely not worth it.
    A shit coupon code totally works. Saved me $200. Thanks!

Didn't buy yet...
  • edited May 2010
    It's a pity Lenovo doesn't use the 80/160GB Intel SSD, since those are the cream of the crop at the moment (apart from the expensive SandForce drives).
    Unfortunately, their 128GB is probably a Samsung, though if it's a newer Samsung they've gotten pretty decent. You might want to look at some benchmarks to see the difference between those and the Intels - the variance in SSD performance is enormous compared to what there used to be for HDDs - but the price difference between the 320GB HDD and 128GB SSD works out to $238 with the 15% off, which is quite cheap as SSDs go.
  • It's a pity Lenovo doesn't use the 80/160GB Intel SSD, since those are the cream of the crop at the moment (apart from the expensive SandForce drives).
    Unfortunately, their 128GB is probably a Samsung, though if it's a newer Samsung they've gotten pretty decent. You might want to look at some benchmarks to see the difference between those and the Intels - the variance in SSD performance is enormous compared to what there used to be for HDDs - but the price difference between the 320GB HDD and 128GB SSD works out to $238 with the 15% off, which is quite cheap as SSDs go.
    I have a 16GB Samsung SSD right now. I really don't care about the performance difference. If it's faster than a magenetic drive, it's all good. I'm mostly concerned with not having moving parts in a portable device for durability purposes.
  • In situations like these I like to use the "lesser of two evils" Gedanken experiment. Which scenario would you regret less (never mind the probability of either happening):

a) You buy the X201 and in eight months they come out with the new model that is literally twice as good in every respect for the same price.

b) You put off buying a new machine and in eight months the new one comes out and it's only marginally better than the X201 costs more and you can't get the X201 anywhere anymore.

Answering truthfully will tell you whether to buy now.
  • I think b is worse.
  • I would buy a cheap Lenovo today if my current laptop were below the advanced usability threshold. I've got another year or so before I need a new laptop most likely. Probably more if I add RAM and replace the HDD at some point. Thus, the current awesome Lenovo isn't awesome enough to force me to upgrade mid-cycle.

There's also the factor that my laptop use pattern has changed dramatically now that I have no real commute. This has basically greatly extended its usable life.

Another operative question: what to do with your old laptop?
  • Another operative question: what to do with your old laptop
    Geeknights contest of some sort...Thunderdome!
  • edited May 2010
    In an overall sense, I'd say I like the latest Sony VAIO Z more as an ultraportable since it weighs less (3lbs vs 3.5lbs) and comes with a very nice higher-res screen, an optical drive, and quite a nice discrete GPU, but Lenovo's deal with the coupon and the warranty is awesome.
  • edited May 2010
    I think b is worse.
    Definitely buy that thing now then. Anyways, you say you need it, and waiting for the next anything is not how you get things done. Even if something like a) happens, you'll have had the use of a fine laptop for the intervening time instead of chugging along and being miserable with your core solo.
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • It's done!

The tax was very annoying.
  • Congrats, Scott.
  • What are you going to name him/her?
  • Is Scott preggers?
  • Actually it seems the X201, which I ordered, is a really new model. All the reviews for it are about a month old, some are just a few days old. Win.
  • Laptop Core i5s only came out in January, so it's not that surprising really. I hope you like it.
  • Is Scott preggers?
    Don't be Silly, Scott Reproduces through Asexual Binary Fission.
  • Scott, any thoughts on the laptop now that you've had it for a few months? Just about to enter the market for one myself and I'd like to see what people think about their recent purchases.

If I needed a desktop I would just build my own, but that's not an option with laptops and I'm seriously out of touch with what manufacturers are worth their salt. My only other laptop purchase was an Averatec model 5 years ago, but even upgraded it has now become unusable.
  • Yeah, this Lenovo X201 is definitely made of win. Mine has an i5, but now they make them with i7. Crazy.
  • How is your Lenovo treating you, Scott?
  • edited September 2010
    How is your Lenovo treating you, Scott?
    Very very nice. The only complaint is the very sad integrated Intel GPU. Yet, it still manages to play CivV at incredibly low settings.

I have the X201, and it seems like there are some deals on it right now.

Also, I went all out and got the solid state drive and such.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Ahhh! The last day for their web special is today. Decisions, decisions!
  • The Intel GMA is the worst invention ever. That is all.
  • edited September 2010
    GMA HD, which comes with the dual-core Core i CPUs, is a big step up for Intel; it brings Intel pretty close to the standard that Nvidia and ATI set with their own IGPs. Nonetheless, it's still terrible compared to a half-decent discrete GPU.
  • GMA HD, which comes with the dual-core Core i CPUs, is a big step up for Intel; it brings Intel pretty close to the standard that Nvidia and ATI set with their own IGPs. Nonetheless, it's still terrible compared to a half-decent discrete GPU.
    I have a GMA 4500 HD And its alright. It handles Source games pretty well and makes my GMA 500 in my netbook look like a piece of shit (which it already was) but its still sub-par.
  • GMA HD and GMA 4500 HD aren't the same thing.