This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

I'm saddened.... (Board games)

edited April 2010 in Board Games
by the lack of board game discussion. We should fix this.

Aren't board games awesome?

What mechanics do you guys enjoy most?

What was your first Euro board game exposure?

Anyone down for some games in the SoCal area?

Discuss. =D

Comments

• I'm feeling some of the older cube games in a big way right now. I'm talking El Grande or Die Macher. I think it's time to break them back out.
  • El Grande is AWESOME! I'm generally not a fan of auction games but as auction games go, it's up there for me. I've never played Die Macher, however. I'll have to BGG that one.

You guys railed on Thunderstone a bit lately. What are the shortcomings of that as opposed to teh awesomeness that is Dominion?
  • What mechanics do you guys enjoy most?
    Any game that involves being a huge dick to anyone else. T&E; remains my favorite.
  • Change the topic to add board games!

Yes, board games are awesome. When you come to PAX Prime, you will see me Enforce and hopefully not lose my voice recommending games to people in Table Top.

I think my first introduction to Euro board games was from my friends. They taught me Settlers of Catan and I've been a board game geek since.

As for mechanics, I love tile placement games. Carcassonne, Metro, Tsuro, and Betrayal at the House on the Hill, are some of my favorite tile placing games.

I'm also addicted to Dominion. I recently pre-order the Alchemy expansion for $18. Can't wait to see the cards and mechanics for that. I also got a silly sheep-themed game called Shear Panic where you try to avoid getting sheared and try to get with Roger. the rose carrying hearthrob ram.

I could go on and on, but I'll stop here for now.
  • I recently pre-order the Alchemy expansion for $18.
    From where?
  • edited April 2010
    I recently pre-order the Alchemy expansion for $18.
    From where?
    Cardhaus Games. The local distributor that sells board game merch at PAX. I'm pretty sure that's the link. It's currently blocked at work, but that's the link Jeremy has on his FB.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • edited April 2010
    I found it for $17.95 but it's $10 for shipping. Blah. Link in case you're interested... Here. Now with less fail.
    Post edited by Dromaro on
  • I found it for $17.95 but it's $10 for shipping. Blah. Link in case you're interested... http://www.cardhaus.com/index.cgi/SID=5229125080737828/picture=154660
    Hahaha same link!
  • I found it for $17.95 but it's $10 for shipping. Blah. Link in case you're interested... http://www.cardhaus.com/index.cgi/SID=5229125080737828/picture=154660
    Hahaha same link!
    Shipping is FedEx only, and too much moneys. I'll get elsewhere.
  • Your Google-Fu is strong. On a related note, I used google to solve in 5 minutes what 3 people collectively in my office couldn't fix in 45 minutes. Seriously. It reminded me of a certain rant on a certain podcast I listen to...

My first exposure to Euros was The Princes of Florence. I still hold a special place in my heart for that game. I friggin love learning new games. To the point I hate learning a new game because I'd rather move on to a new one than play a great game consistently. Don't get me wrong. If you don't have a game I've never played and I HAVE to play Dominion, I'm not going to complain. :-p
  • I prefer the mastering over the learning.
  • My first German board game was Settlers of Catan. I started playing in college and don't really see an end to it.

My favourites are Dominion, Power Grid, Blokus and Puerto Rico.
  • I'm feeling the screw you kinda games Cosmic Encounters, Dune, Battlestar Galactica.
  • Rym and Scott have a guest episode I recorded about some German competitive puzzle games. I recorded it, oh, only about two years ago. Maybe I'll just link to it here rather than waiting for them to ever use it in the feed.
  • Rym and Scott have a guest episode I recorded about some German competitive puzzle games. I recorded it, oh, only about two years ago. Maybe I'll just link to it here rather than waiting for them to ever use it in the feed.
    Rym's fault.
    Posted By: AprecheRym's fault.

@Luke - I'd be interested in listening if you want to link to it.

Rym + Scott + Oncoming Bus = Swiftly thrown Rym under said bus.

I know this technically isn't a board game but do any of you know the wonderment that is Tichu? There is a group of about 15 of us that meet weekly to play it and other various card and board games. If anyone does play, feel free to send me a whisper. I'd love to discuss strategies with people outside of my circle of players.
  • Has anybody played the new David Sirlin game Flash Duel? I was surprised at how fun and interesting it was, considering how light the actual mechanics are. Thoughts?
    Rym's fault.
    Scott, I think I remember you saying you wanted to expose Rym's shit-talking by doing things like this; what are you going to do now?
  • Battlestar Galactica.
    I've been playing this a LOT with my group of friends. The social metagame and inter-personal paranoia that BSG brings up is incredible!
  • I've been playing this a LOT with my group of friends. The social metagame and inter-personal paranoia that BSG brings up is incredible!
    Yea I just played it last night for the second time, Cylons keep winning ^_^
  • I know this technically isn't a board game but do any of you know the wonderment that is Tichu? There is a group of about 15 of us that meet weekly to play it and other various card and board games. If anyone does play, feel free to send me a whisper. I'd love to discuss strategies with people outside of my circle of players.
    I'm sure there's lots of Tichu discussion here.

I learned the basics of the game a little while ago, but haven't had many chances to play it since. Neat game -- I can see why people obsess about it.
  • Dominion: Alchemy shipped out this week and we should be receiving it today or tomorrow. :3
  • ZOMGZ! I love you, Ro!
  • Dominion: Alchemy shipped out this week and we should be receiving it today or tomorrow. :3
    I got home from board game night and it was at my door. If only I had gone home first!
  • I got home from board game night and it was at my door. If only I had gone home first!
    Our's said it was dropped off at our door last night at 10PM when we were at home. We never saw it. I don't understand how they can get in our apartment complex since we live in a gated community.

Fuck you FedEx.
  • I got home from board game night and it was at my door. If only I had gone home first!
    Our's said it was dropped off at our door last night at 10PM when we were at home. We never saw it. I don't understand how they can get in our apartment complex since we live in a gated community.

Fuck you FedEx.
    Imagine if they had to ring in every time a truck had to go in there? My guess is that it would becoming annoying very quickly.
  • Tonight at the board game night I played three games of Bausack. It's pretty good fun!
  • I joined a board game club that does it on Friday nights. I'm a bit of a nub since the only times I played board games prior was Anime USA. So here's my first impression on a few:

Ticket to Ride American vs. Europe - I love this game, but I prefer the European one since you have a little extra challenge with the tunnels. Plus, I like the stations you can add to bridge over a blocked path.

Infinite City - It was fun and consists of building a city. It's straightforward since what you do is on the tile and each time you place a tile you put your mark on it. Points are tallied at the end and there's lots of chances to screw other player over. I love game where I can screw someone.... Not like that!

Modern Art - It's a bidding game that I had fun with. Not hard to try.

Leonardo da Vinci - This is a game I wanted to play again so badly. It involves making inventions by getting resources and upgrading your factory. It's my favorite at the moment.

Race to the Galaxy - Yeah, it's a card game technically. It's also too hard to just do. I basically didn't understand anything until almost the end. At that point I was STILL confused. I can't say I hate it because I don't get it enough to hate it.

Midgard - This is the first board game I can say I don't really like. Maybe it's the area control or the A, J and M token thing.

Lastly there's this game I don't remember the name of, but it was cool. The game had an India look to it. You auctioned with elephants, kings and colors. What was it!

I haven't developed any hates and likes on certain types of game. I'm in that stage where I'll try ANYTHING as long as someone teaches me.

• Aren't board games awesome?
    Yes, yes they are. It saddens me every time I encounter a person that writes off board games as kid's toys, simply because they don't realize what is out there. When I was younger (prior to high school), I had started to get into real strategy board games, but that involvement faded as our group of friends began to focus around multiplayer video games instead. I still keep up with friends from different stages of life through Steam and Xbox Live, but my interest in board games has surged since graduating college. Sometimes you just need to get the boys together in person, rather than talking over microphones while we blow apart zombies.
    What mechanics do you guys enjoy most?
    I have a soft spot for co-operative play. I can be very competitive (but not in the sore loser sense), so it's nice to have a break from free-for-all competition every now and then. In general, I most enjoy games where the player is in control of a character and has to manage a hand of cards that affect gameplay. I think this would explain my love for Robo Rally, Descent, and Last Night on Earth. I pretty much enjoy everything though, so it's hard for me to pick favorites.
    What was your first Euro board game exposure?
    Settlers of Catan, introduced to me by some much older gamers when I was about 12.

Getting together for board games is one of those things I put as a high priority over a lot of other interests in life. I would consider myself the organizer of my group of friends. I tend to own the games, people come over to my house, etc., so unless I get out to meetups and such we really only play what I own, and I try not to buy new stuff until I've fully played what I already own. Games in my closet that we tend to break out are: Axis & Allies, Settler of Catan, Munchkin, Last Night on Earth, Robo Rally [personal favorite], Red November, Fluxx, Mystery Express, and The Climbers.

That's pretty much the extent of my board game rotation, so you'll notice a million classics that I haven't had to the chance to play such as: Pandemic, Dominion, Agricola, Puerto Rico, Power Grid, Ticket to Ride, Race for the Galaxy, etc. Expanding my knowledge of great board games is a big part of my motivation for going out and playing games with new people at conventions. I have to promise myself to spend more time in tabletop at next PAX, as I wound up spending my time there teaching people the games I already knew last time around!