This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Post music you have made.

Comments

• Cielmort, I really like the track, and the off-time piano at the start is one of the reasons. I think you should keep it off-time for longer, and then when it comes back into time it'll be a good resolution.

Sail, your song may be twee, but I really like it too!

I recorded a song myself yesterday, and when the video I've made for it finishes rendering I'll post it here. It's at 17% and says it'll take two hours.
    Thanks guys. I'm going to try to record an album worth of acoustic-industrial music, since I'm a little dry on the metal creativity. Collaborations are welcomed.

Actually, it's not as apparent, but this track has a lot of off-beat sections, specially with the nasal bass.
  • Those lyrics are just too good, Luke.
  • Thanks! I don't often do blatantly stupid songs, but I couldn't get this idea out my head.
  • edited May 2010
    This is the worst, I'm actually lacking 1/4 inch cables... I had a box of them. .___.
    Post edited by La Petit Mort on
  • New song.
    M.L.

Another calm track, this was one in the span of a couple of hours.
  • I recorded a thing earlier, here it is. It's really loud because I recorded it with my iPhone from like a couple feet away from my (admittedly small) amp. You've been warned. As you can probably tell, a large part of it is improvised and I screw up a few times, but there are parts I like. I'll try to work out a better set up than the iPhone voice memo app next time I get the urge to record something.
  • Lower the gain, cut the reverb.
  • edited June 2010
    Lower the gain, cut the reverb.
    Good call. I tooled around with playing the same song on my acoustic after I recorded that and I liked it a bit more. I think I just like having a ton of white noise because it gives me room to recover if my improvisation goes south.

edit: In other words because if everything about the song sounds like shit than screwing up doesn't sound out of place. It's a self consciousness thing I guess.
    Post edited by Koholint on
  • edited June 2010
    Yup, reverb, delay and wah are clever tricks some musicians use in order to hide when they mess up, it muddles up the sound. Take in mind however, on a slow solo, reverb will add a creamy smoothness to your tone, and some faint delay will make your soloing stand out more. But everything in moderation. Just like John Petrucci said, "in order to get a good metal crunch tone, lower your gain a little." Sounds like an oxymoron, but it's so true.
  • Yup, reverb, delay and wah are clever tricks some musicians use in order to hide when they mess up, it muddles up the sound.
    You should also generally avoid practicing with effects on. Keeping the treble up helps too, it makes fret buzz and poor technique painfully obvious.
  • The most I put between my amp and guitar when I practice is some light distortion, except when it involves some gain dependent techniques.
  • edited June 2010
    I remade my Fast Karate rap. It was a lot of fun to record.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • That was a lot of fun to listen to.
  • Just finished a cover of Love Athena by Olivia Tremor Control.
  • edited June 2010
    So, who wants to start an industrial/nerdcore project with me?
    Music would be something like this. Only, of course, with some rhymes on top.
  • So, who wants to start an industrial/nerdcore project with me?
    I can't hear the music right now because of computer issues, but I'd be in to give it a go.
  • I'm up for it.
  • Sure, Why not?
  • Awesome, lets get a concept down first. Dystopian Sci-fi concept? Maybe a ghost story set in a dystopian world. Once we have direction, music+lyrics will begin.
  • Awesome, lets get a concept down first. Dystopian Sci-fi concept? Maybe a ghost story set in a dystopian world. Once we have direction, music+lyrics will begin.
    I always thought a ridiculous sci-fi concept band would be fun. Like a "time-traveled-from-the-dystopian-future" theme, and wear filthy clothes with bits of metal hanging from them, and all the songs would be about living underground and eating rats and fighting robots. And never, ever break character. If I'm ever in a band again, I want to do this.
  • So, who wants to start an industrial/nerdcore project with me?
    That'll be a short song! It sounds pretty cool though.
  • edited June 2010
    So, who wants to start an industrial/nerdcore project with me?
    That'll be a short song! It sounds pretty cool though.
    Oh, that's a preview I had out to show you guys the type of feeling I wanted in a song, working on the full blown version.

EDIT: in a beautiful turn of events, I found out I forgot to save the project file...I'll be doing a new version alright. I have no right to call myself a professional now...
    Awesome, lets get a concept down first. Dystopian Sci-fi concept? Maybe a ghost story set in a dystopian world. Once we have direction, music+lyrics will begin.
    I always thought a ridiculous sci-fi concept band would be fun. Like a "time-traveled-from-the-dystopian-future" theme, and wear filthy clothes with bits of metal hanging from them, and all the songs would be about living underground and eating rats and fighting robots. And never, ever break character. If I'm ever in a band again, I want to do this.
    Actually I was thinking about the story: a guy wake up in a dystopian world, far ahead from his own time, and in this new time, the ghost of those he wronged in the past start to haunt him, but, in this timeline, those ghosts have become the world's myths and legends.

• Actually I was thinking about the story: a guy wake up in a dystopian world, far ahead from his own time, and in this new time, the ghost of those he wronged in the past start to haunt him, only, but in this timeline, those ghosts have become the world's myths and legends.
    I want to make love to your brain.
  • I recorded another song.
    Actually I was thinking about the story: a guy wake up in a dystopian world, far ahead from his own time, and in this new time, the ghost of those he wronged in the past start to haunt him, but, in this timeline, those ghosts have become the world's myths and legends.
    I want some more details on this idea. Expect some Skyping next time we're both online.
  • edited July 2010
    I recorded another song.
    You need to fix that link there, buddy.

EDIT: Nevermind, fixed it for you.
    Post edited by GreyHuge on
  • I think that I need to form a ska/punk band with the rest of my chemistry class and we need to be called The Acetones! (Hurr hurr hurr chemistry and ska punk joke)
  • edited July 2010
    I recorded another song.
    I want some more details on this idea. Expect some Skyping next time we're both online.You need to enunciate. I'm sure you can find tutorials online. The lyrics are fun though.
  • Also, the first track I'm working on for my nerdcore project, it's nearing completion, I'l post two versions of it, one with a click track and one without it, whoever wants to lay some sci-fi themed lines on top is free to do so, in which ever fashion you choose, as long as you send me the vocal tracks.
  • You need to enunciate.
    So that's the word for it. I've been learning how to make beats and lyrics for the past two years, and I didn't worry about the actual rapping part of it nearly enough. Turns out I'm a dumbass and it's really goddamn hard.
  • edited July 2010
    Turns out I'm a dumbass and it'sreally goddamn hard.
    I've often heard the trick with this is to become so familiar with your material that you can rattle off the words without thinking. Then you start to be able to clean up your flow and clarity.
    Post edited by Sail on