This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 070329 - Weapons and Arms

RymRym
edited March 2007 in Everything Else

Tonight on GeekNights, we discuss the use of weapons. In the news, China's building a Dragon, and iTunes gets slightly better.

Scott's Thing - Deep Fryer Fish
Rym's Thing - Motor Mania

Comments

• I'm surprised how high-res that Goofy cartoon is.
  • I'm wondering if my shinai would be powerful enough to cause some sort of damage to a zombie. Doubt it though...
  • Maybe knock it down, if you used it right, But Doubtful you'd be able to get a clean kill.
  • Ah, Fastball. I too purchased that album for The Way. Strangely enough, the album disappeared almost immediately after purchasing it only to reemerge years later in my father's car. My father generally has impeccable taste in music, but for some reason, he really liked all of that album.
  • There are only a few bands that still produce "concept" albums.

(some of these bands are inactive)
    Boston
    Alice Cooper
    Meatloaf
    Queensryche
    Extreme
    Rush
    Iron Maiden

Somewhere back in the late 80's many bands stopped making concept albums and just started throwing a bunch of songs on a CD with no rhyme or reason behind them.
  • Although I can come up with a lot of bands who produce good "concept" albums, I am going to have to add:

Coheed and Cambria

If you aren't already aware of their awesome, I'm sorry. Really, I am.

• Somewhere back in the late 80's many bands stopped making concept albums and just started throwing a bunch of songs on a CD with no rhyme or reason behind them.
    How about Dream Theater's "Scenes from a Memory" album and Tool's "Lateralus"?
  • edited March 2007
    The terminator shotgun was a "Lever-Action" design, not a muzzleloader. This would be my preferred anti-zombie shotgun SPAS-15.
    It allows for both automatic and semi-automatic firing modes and takes a clip of ammunition rather than just being feed manually by putting shells into it. This allows for a more easier reload when being assualted by zombies and prevents me from having to deal with multiples shells individually.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Typical Steve.

How about Kamelot, Dream Theater, Pain of Salvation, and Ayreon? Just cuz you got old doesn't mean music did. </greentext>

I'm all about the concept albums. I've almost never bought an album for one or two songs and regretted it. I want more than the songs I already knew, and I trust the artist to have a few more. I haven't been disappointed. The point of iTunes' cherry-picking approach is clear to me: it's for radio junkies. The people who listen to the Billboard top 100 (also known as "the radio") are hearing songs (usually Hip-Hop) from many artists, most of whom are very actively pursuing individual hits. I suppose if you like listening to the radio, you'd want to buy a bunch of singles, and the other crap on the albums would probably be lousy.

But it certainly doesn't affect the music I listen to, and I figure most people here are the same way. I don't think there's a Rush or Meatloaf song I don't want. (Okay, Bat Out of Hell III was a little weak.) Unfortunately, as an avid Queensryche fan, I've got to say...I kind of wish they were inactive. It's all been downhill since Promised Land. They're one example of a band who got it once, and then decided to give up their awesomeness and try for a more popular, mainstream sound. They kind of ended up flat on their faces.
  • Let me follow up my earlier band list by stating I do not listen to the radio or buy music anymore.

The last Queensryche album I purchased/listened to was Operation MindCrime.

These "new" bands everyone is starting to list are bands I have never heard of! I don't claim to be all knowing about music as I can only talk about bands I know (which are few in number).

The few occasions I do turn the radio on are for news. When music does occasionally hit my ears it is mostly bubble-gum pop or similar crap. I'm an 80's hair metal kind of guy who evolved into a slow easy listening female vocalist dude. I'm not trying to dis' the new stuff, I'm simply ignorant of it.
  • At least listen to Empire. It's a hair below Mindcrime, but it's definitely part of their golden age.

I learned about most modern bands I like from a friend, but his method could work for you. Find albums you like on Amazon. Look at the related items ("people who liked this album also liked..."). Sample the linked albums using the power of the Internet. Purchase as necessary.

If I can get 55-year old bikers who love Blues and own 1000 premium vinyl records to listen my new-fangled Euro music, I can get anyone to. =Þ
  • The world would a pale shadow of itself without Dark Side of the Moon, the definitive concept album.
  • I think the Deep Fryer Fish may be just demonstrating the technology of the fryer rather than the randomness of having a fish tank under a deep fryer... They demonstrated that pouring water or putting an ice cube into the hot oil did not create the splattering that usually occurs. I think they also may have mentioned that oil is kept relatively clean because all the crud sinks to the bottom of the water tank which I assume they can siphon off without removing the oil. The fish in the water was probably just to demonstrate that the water does not heat up as well (perhaps some sort of cooling effect caused by convection currents in the water).
  • You guys have never fired a shotgun, have you?
  • I must say that with the proper use of a katana you have all the advantage while fighting against zombies (by zombies I am referring to the ones that moan and walk relatively slow). I just need to run towards them and slash a bunch of them and then retreat. However, if they are fast you just make them follow you and if one is faster than the other ones you stop for a second and slice that one and then run again, stop and slice repeat if necessary.
  • I just need to run towards them and slash a bunch of them and then retreat
    The problem is that I'm pretty sure zombie's can't bleed to death. You would have to cut their head off or slice through their skull.
  • I just need to run towards them and slash a bunch of them and then retreat
    The problem is that I'm pretty sure zombie's can't bleed to death. You would have to cut their head off or slice through their skull.
    Well, you see. When you slice something, you cut it for good. So I would star with a leg and an arm, then on ly second coming I would pretty much put a stake on their abdomen then they would be still like nice zombie. Also a Katana can be easily be found in many malls in Northern Virginia.
  • Also a Katana can be easily be found in many malls in Northern Virginia.
    The sort that are actually able to cut completely through a human limb or neck? Bones can be broken but they are very hard to actually cut through.
  • The thing is that you do not cut through the bone you must aim directly to the joints. It is rather gruesome to have such a knowledge but then again it is helpful if you are around zombies.
  • Also a Katana can be easily be found in many malls in Northern Virginia.
    Really? The only knife/sword store I can think of used to be in potomac mills, but I thought it went out of buisness. Maybe tysons or fair oaks has one.
  • I enjoyed this Zombie episode much more than the first one. I don't know why. Do an episode on Japanese snacks.
  • You guys have never fired a shotgun, have you?
    I believe Scott has, even though he's not familiar with the terminology.

I thought that the shotgun from The Terminator was a break-action, but then again, it's been a while since I've seen the movie. I would have to agree with the Spas-15 as the shotgun of choice; for that matter, any magazine-fed shotgun is probably the way to go. Magazines are essential in the zombie apocalypse, as they allow for rapid reloading.

Also, if you have a hangun, shoot for the pelvic girdle on your zombie. It stops forward momentum, and for most zombies, reduces them to crawling around inefectually, thus allowing you to escape.

Steve: There are many a good new band out there, though they're becoming farther and fewer between. I've become a fan of The Sword recently; they make some old-school doom metal (a la Black Sabbath and such) that pretty much just rocks.

While I like concept albums, most bands that produce them start to get a little too pretentious for my tastes sometimes. I can only listen to Metropolis Pt. 2 so many times before I need some goddamn Slayer.
  • I thought that the shotgun from The Terminator was a break-action, but then again, it's been a while since I've seen the movie.
    It was a Winchester Model 1887/1901 lever action 10 gauge.
  • So, after listening to the full episode I will:
    A katana from the closest mall
    Fix my family 1970s blue Land Rover (you can't destroy the chassis of that car specially if it is Santana Chassis Style)
    Get my green leather jacket from my closet
    Get me some black shades to protect my eyes
    An awesome brown scarf to protect my mouth
    Good black jeans
    My cadet style cap
    And some good running Adidas shoes (preferably samba style)

I would be the most fashionable survivor in Armageddon :D
  • chrono, that doesn't sound like a zombie apocalypse. It sounds like a reality show on Bravo.
  • chrono, that doesn't sound like a zombie apocalypse. It sounds like a reality show on Bravo.
    Top Zombie?
    If I have to go. I will go in style damn it!
  • I tried that Terminator move with my airsoft shotgun when I first got it, man is it easy to screw up in a very bad way.
  • Relating to the last Scrym comments about Jesus helping out against unholy zombies: Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter (IMDb).
  • Relating to the last Scrym comments about Jesus helping out against unholy zombies:Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter (IMDb).
    hahahaha plot keywords: Lesbian Kiss/Lesbian Vampire/Vampire Hunter/Jesus Christ....