This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Anime Boston

edited March 2007 in Conventions
Is anyone else going? Pre registration ends tonight at midnight Eastern time. For anyone who wants to do it last minute, you need a Paypal account and the site is here. This is my first con, so I'm really excited and a little scared, but if it's like the other cons I've heard reports about I think it'll be fun.

Comments

• I've heard good things about Anime Boston, but it's always been in conflict with other events for us.
  • Yeah, I've always wanted to go to that con, but it keeps jumping out of nowhere on me.
  • I'd like to check it out, but I don't really have the money to travel that far.
  • Just an update for those who care, I found this article about the Con.
    I'll also give my impression of it after it's over, of course.
  • I’ll be at the con. I’m also juggling a pair of staff positions, but my obligations will be over by 11:00pm Friday, so I can still enjoy the event.
  • I have gone in previous years and can say that it is a very enjoyable con. Unfortunately the con is scheduled so that is occurs not only while I am still in college but during finals week as well. This makes it pretty much impossible for me and my friends to go this year.
  • edited April 2007
    I personally will be there Saturday and Sunday...Hopallee, do you know if I could bring my mp3 player, digi cam or backpack in? I'd love to record some audio for GN and/or AWO with the built in mic, poor as it is, and perhaps some photos for everyone
    Post edited by Hitman Hart on
  • edited April 2007
    I personally will be there Saturday and Sunday...Hopallee, do you know if I could bring my mp3 player, digi cam or backpack in? I'd love to record some audio for GN and/or AWO with the built in mic, poor as it is, and perhaps some photos for everyone
    Other attendees have recorded podcasts and such. It's never been a problem to my knowledge so I wouldn't worry about it.
    Also if you feel that you get some neat content let the blog folks know; we're putting up our own content but we'd be happy to include or link to other people's work.
    Post edited by Hopallee on
  • I'm going there as well. I know I"ll be attending the voice acting contest, because of the members from a VA forum I go to are going to be there.
  • How was Friday? I couldn't go because of school and work commitments, but I'll be there bright and early tomorrow
  • I can't believe this. I was in the Prudencial Center today running some errands. I thought the con had already passed. BUT I CANT FUCKIN GO BECAUSE I'M BABYSITTING MY BROTHER!!!!!!!!!! (go ahead Mr. Period, I don't care.)

Kill me now.
  • edited April 2007
    Okay, I'm home for the day, I think it went pretty well. There was nothing to do when I was dropped off, but I kinda knew that going in and it was fine, gave me some time to get myself oriented. I ended up spending most of the day in the dealer's room, it was packed, but people were generally polite. I ended up buying a Winry plushie, the first season of Slayers, and the second Urusei Yatsura movie, Beautiful Dreamer. I still can't watch Haruhi dubbed, I tried a little bit. I found out talking to some folks that there is actually almost no official Haruhi merchandise even in Japan and there's a ton of bootlegging. Oh, and the gaming room was really cool, had all the new systems, and a lot of retro stuff, I actually got to play some Nights into Dreams. Here are some pictures I took there, I'll add links as I get more uploaded. I should note that I have an old Kodak digi cam, it's only 2 mega pixels, which was pretty good when we got it for my grandma as a gift...she ended up giving it back to us about a year ago because she never bothered to try it. It needs a lot of light or stuff looks like utter darkness, it seems even the light in my room isn't enough to get a decent picture of my Winry plushie. I also forgot to set the date on it before I began taking pictures, and I can't take it off these for no good reason. Sorry.
    pic 1
    pic 2
    pic 3
    pic 4
    pic 5
    pic 6
    pic 7
    pic 8
    This is the best shot I could get of my plushie
    Post edited by Hitman Hart on
  • Wow. Normally I wouldn't care about a Winry plushie, but that one is really cute. The wrench really does it for me.
  • Shaun of the Dead dude is the best. Props to him ^_^
  • Wow. Normally I wouldn't care about a Winry plushie, but that one is really cute. The wrench really does it for me.
    It also seems like it's really well made, it can stand up on its own. I'm going back today, and if I get any good shots or anything, I'll post.
  • Today was another fun day, I got a nice shot of Caped Mario and Daisy with a Japanese umbrella, and pictures of people dancing at the Haruhi display at the Bandai table. I'll upload them in a little bit. As for buying, one of the tables had buy one get 3 free on all CPM manga so I got 4 books of Slayers manga and the last Osaka plushie in the place. It's her in her kimono, not quite as nice as the Winry plushie, but still nice. I have never had so much fun in my life, and I was going solo. I was re energized as an otaku. I am honestly excited about anime again. I'd been kinda....meh about things for a long while, nothing new was really catching my eye after Azumanga Daioh other than Doki Doki School Hours, which is basically a lesser Azu, until my friend helped me get my hands on some Haruhi and Ouran High School Host Club....oh, that reminds me, based on the huge amount of plushies I saw, Ouran is by far the most popular anime that to the best of my knowledge hasn't been picked up. I had thought anime was passing me by, dominated by Naruto and moe and other things I'm not interested in, but over these last two days...I dunno, it just seemed like all was right in the world, I felt like I was part of the community. I didn't feel like an outsider or an old man desperately trying to cling to something I discovered 8 years ago. I belonged, and it was great. Anime Boston gets two thumbs up from me. I do have some gripes, but it's time to eat and I can post later. Anyone who likes anime and hasn't gone to some kind of con is really missing out. Do it as soon as you humanly can. As for Rym and Scott, I think you would have a blast. As soon as I hear anything about the dates for next year I'll post it and I really hope you can come on down.
  • I finally put up the rest of the pics, a lot of these are people doing the Haruhi dance at the Bandai display en masse
    Here they are
    let me know if it doesn't work
  • by the way, there's a ton more photos here
  • A shout out from The Ninja Consultant. Yeah, talked with them and made them do this.
  • Alright, so AB, just two-ish months away. I figure we should get this discussion out of the Con Season 2k9 thread and into here, because it's specific to this con:
    Say, people going to AB: What about some kind of meet-up, at least for lunch, the day before or the day after the con? I know a kick-ass noodle place.
    This is a good idea. GeekNights party/meet-up should happen.
    I agree We should make this happen.
    May I ask the name of the noodle place, since I live around here and would love to go before AB.
    Men Tei (Tai? Something like that). It's in between Newberry and Boylston, near the fire station. Right next to Steve's, if you know where that is.
    Do you guys wanna do this before, during, or after the con? During, the place is going to be a madhouse, and it's not that big, so I'm thinking either the Thursday before or the Monday after would be better, but we could dominate the place if we wanted.
  • Just a reminder: If you're planning on pre-reging, you have less than a week
  • So, it's about two weeks away. Who's going?

Coincidently, I'll be in town Saturday and Sunday to see some friends, who just happen to be going to the con, so I'll probably spend all Saturday and part of Sunday there. Perhaps a meetup is in order?
  • Seeing as how I'm moving up to Boston this weekend, I'll more than likely be there.
  • I'm there! Just someone who knows the place picks the place!
  • It would be ideal to have the meet-up sometime on Sunday, because at Cafe Sushi in Harvard Square they have a $1/piece special.
  • I'm waiting for the official panel/con schedule to be posted, but more than likely, Sunday will be OK.
  • It would be ideal to have the meet-up sometime on Sunday, because at Cafe Sushi in Harvard Square they have a $1/piece special.
    I like this idea.
  • edited May 2009
    I'm waiting for the official panel/con schedule to be posted, but more than likely, Sunday will be OK.
    Nelson Pecora (me): I wanted to ask you: What FRC stuff is going down saturday (at AnimeBoston)? Panels, etc.
    Scott Rubin: i don't know
    Scott Rubin: have to check AB schedule
    Nelson Pecora: ok. post on the AB thread in the forums when you do?
    Nelson Pecora: y/n?
    Scott Rubin: don't know
    Nelson Pecora: well, if you want, the AB thread is up and going strong. See you at the con
    Scott Rubin: yep
    Scott's a grumpy grouch. :p

Also, I like this $1/sushi sunday idea as well.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • Wait...wont there be an overabundance of con goers at a SUSHI place THAT'S ALSO CHEAP!? As in really hard to eat there. Just saying. I still want to though.
  • Wait...wont there be an overabundance of con goers at a SUSHI place THAT'S ALSO CHEAP!? As in really hard to eat there. Just saying. I still want to though.
    We can take 'em! Where's your fighting spirit?