This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Cowboy Bebop

Comments

• it's neither a preview/first-look or review, so it must be nothing
    Awesome logic!
    *pat pat pat*
    It is something. It's his opinion of the first 18 episodes of Cowboy Bebop. All in all, he just said that he finds it perfectly understandable for someone to dislike Bebop.
    I know it is something, but barely. It's brought as a review of sorts (reviews being subjective), and making a few assumptions about the show and how his opinion will change after watching the rest. I mean, come on! If you are going to finish the show, why bother with talking about like this before having finished it? If he stopped watching after episode 18 then okay, there's nothing left for him to see. Imagine Gamespot (or whatever) reviewing the Tutorial of a game and giving it a 7/10 or something. And noting that they'll play the rest of the game afterwards but already know their opinion won't change.

As a pre-emptive dodge, if you're going to bring up Yahtzee's latest review, were talking definitive reviews here, the GTA IV review was definitive, even though I disagree with him and think that GTA 4 is just more of the same crap.
  • True, but I bet that there's something they have in common outside of obvious things.
    Dislike of the art style?
    Desiring moar shonen fighting, which Bebop delivers very little of (at least tournament style fights)?

Who knows.
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but you seem to be suggesting that all dislike of Cowboy Bebop is, at heart, superficial and not based on the content of the show itself.
    Itissomething. It's his opinion of the first 18 episodes of Cowboy Bebop. All in all, he just said that he finds it perfectly understandable for someone to dislike Bebop.
    I know it is something, but barely. It's brought as a review of sorts (reviews being subjective), and making a few assumptions about the show and how his opinion will change after watching the rest. I mean, come on! If you are going to finish the show, why bother with talking about like this before having finished it? If he stopped watching after episode 18 then okay, there's nothing left for him to see. Imagine Gamespot (or whatever) reviewing the Tutorial of a game and giving it a 7/10 or something. And noting that they'll play the rest of the game afterwards but already know their opinion won't change.

As a pre-emptive dodge, if you're going to bring up Yahtzee's latest review, were talking definitive reviews here, the GTA IV review was definitive, even though I disagree with him and think that GTA 4 is just more of the same crap.
    I will start by saying that watching nine hours of a show is a pretty long time to form a valid opinion on it. Furthermore, your arguments would hold a lot more merit if Cowboy Bebop was evolving in any way. I can almost promise you that the remaining episodes (excluding the finale) will suffer from the exact same problems that I cited in my first post. I will bet money that they all introduce characters that will never be mentioned again, and the consequences of the episodes will have virtually no impact on the remainder of the show. if this statement is wrong, correct me and I'll rescind my arguments.

As for the grand finale of the show, I am willing to say that it could be good, especially since I've heard that it is split into two episodes and has actual significant events occur, giving more time and opportunity for the events therein to become emotionally meaningful. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and say that the end of the show ends up being mind-blowingly good. Ignoring the fact that, at that point, I probably will just want the show to be over, and won't care anymore, I don't see how that would possibly excuse the rest of the show or make my critique of the vast remainder any less valid.

• Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but you seem to be suggesting that all dislike of Cowboy Bebop is, at heart, superficial and not based on the content of the show itself.
    That's not at all what I'm getting at...
    if this statement is wrong, correct me and I'll rescind my arguments.
    Episode 24 actually impacts the final 2 episodes (spoiler: ed and ein leave).
  • edited September 2008
    I recently stumbled across two lists discussing "the best x in sci-fi" mentioning Cowboy Bebop. Apparently, Faye Valentine is the 44th hottest girl in sci-fi and Spike Spiegel had the 3rd best death scene in sci-fi. Surely debatable lists but I find it cool that "regular" sci-fi geeks seem to have a new found appreciation for the series.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I'm fairly sure there's an Anime Legends box-set for Bebop (~$60 if I remember correctly).
  • Or this for $30.
  • I know this is an old thread, but can someone tell me what the main plot episodes of Cowboy Bebop are? I'm kind of in a rush and would like to get the gist of the plot first. I plan on watching all of the other episodes at a later date.
  • I'm kind of in a rush and would like to get the gist of the plot first. I plan on watching all of the other episodes at a later date.
    I would recommend against that, as the plot bears much less meaning to the viewer without the context of the characters from the "non-plot" episodes.
  • No. Do not rush. It's important that you watch all the episodes, because they build up little bits of the character's personalities, and little bits of their backstories. Watching the "main plot" episodes when you haven't built up sympathy for the characters and gotten to know them is going to leave the show wanting substance. You will get some pretty battles, a backstory about an enigmatic guy named Spike, and some drama with random characters. Watching them in the context of the show makes you feel a lot more emotional about the plot itself.
  • I know this is an old thread, but can someone tell me what the main plot episodes of Cowboy Bebop are? I'm kind of in a rush and would like to get the gist of the plot first. I plan on watching all of the other episodes at a later date.
    All of them in order?

I'm not kidding. The series bears watching from beginning to end. Don't skip the ending theme either. The Real Folk Blues is an amazingly brilliant song. I recently looked up the lyrics and realized how relevant it is to the series.
  • "Plot" really isn't what makes Cowboy Bebop good.
  • I'm kind of in a rush and would like to get the gist of the plot first.
    Bounty hunters in space.

Now go watch all of the episodes. Yes, all of them.
  • Bounty hunters in space.

Now go watch all of the episodes. Yes, all of them.
  • To experience Cowboy Bebop for the first time, such a good memory.
  • RymRym
    edited December 2010
    ToexperienceCowboy Bebop for the first time, such a good memory.
    I remember it profoundly. We attended the marathon that RIT anime ran (ScoJo was one of the one presiding). The silence in the room as the credits rolled to nothing on the last episode was deafening.
    Post edited by Rym on
    Episodes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26.
    Yes, I left one out. I've always considered it the odd man out of the series.
  • Episodes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26.
    Yes, I left one out. I've always considered it the odd man out of the series.
    Odd, but awesome. If anything, it's more of a reveal of the government. Plus, the fight scenes were great to see.

I remember the preview for the episode at the end of 19 and was like "WTF?"
  • Humorously enough, that episode's probably different because it was worked on by members of the Batman: TAS crew members.
  • members of the Batman: TAS crew members.
    Intriguing.
  • Really, watch the WHOLE series. The movie is the only optional.
    Sorta. But not really. The movie is essentially one of the BEST episodes in my opinion.
    Sorta. But not really. The movie is essentially one of the BEST episodes in my opinion.
    I loved the movie too, but it's not essential.
    I loved the movie too, but it's not essential.
    Maybe, maybe not. It improved my view of the whole series, personally.
  • As an aside, been listening to the whole soundtrack for the show and movie today. <3 so much!
  • As an aside, been listening to the whole soundtrack for the show and movie today. <3 so much!</p>
    Makes sense, it may be the best soundtrack of all time.
  • As an aside, been listening to the whole soundtrack for the show and movie today. <3 so much!</p>
    Makes sense, it may be the best soundtrack of all time.
  • Steve Conte's Diggin' from the movie is one of my favorite songs ever, but the soundtrack's great all around.
  • The live version from the Seatbelts and Yoko Kanno is quite possibly the best live performance I've heard, other than Daft Punk.

I also love that fact that I can sing and understand the french song "Fantaisie Sign".
  • Fun fact is that I can finally say that I can play the Hokey Dokey on the harmonica. =w=
  • Can someone explain to me why Episode 22 "Cowboy Funk", the one with the joke cowboy is good. Yes it's comical, but really it doesn't seem to fit the show. The crazy mushroom episode staring Edward at least fit the show because Edward is quirky and having a weird episode staring him was quite a nice break half way through the series.
    Was it to just show off how a quirky character just shouldn't exist and is a play on anime with stupid characters? Was it to show you Spike was a serious person, and how a stupid unrealistic character is just upsetting? I really don't get it.
    It just seems to cheapen the anime. Cowboy bebop has a great story with background characters who have nearly fully realized goals and opinions... and then Poof a character that seriously couldn't fend for himself is some majorly well known bounty hunter.