This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Shit-Talking Prevention Thread

Comments

• In a manner of speaking.
    Are you making a clone?
    Are you making a clone?
    Did Nuri Get you Pregnant again?
  • Are you making a clone?
    It is not outside the realm of possibility.
  • Magic beer yeast project?
  • Are you making a clone?
    It is not outside the realm of possibility.
    Dude. Like I told you before: Poopin' in a bucket is not the first step in the cloning process.

I hope you're affixing a snow blower to the front of your go kart for the morrow travels.
  • Magic beer yeast project?
    It is not directly beer-related.

Also, I dig the way that when Scott says he's working on something, he gets little interest from others. When I say I'm working on something, people go "OMGWTF!"

This is the advantage of not constantly advertising the things that you're doing; when you do finally say you're doing something, people pay attention.
  • This is the advantage of not constantly advertising the things that you're doing; when you do finally say you're doing something, people pay attention.
    I think it is also the fact that you actually finish things. You did make a beer, and people did drink it. What have I made that people have consumed. GeekNights and...

Also, people take GeekNights for granted. If you really think about it, people should be OMGWTF every time we put out an episode. It's like ANOTHER episode, that's right bitches. Still going.
  • Also, people take GeekNights for granted. If you really think about it, people should be OMGWTF every time we put out an episode. It's like ANOTHER episode, that's right bitches. Still going.
    I do appreciate them when I'm on long car rides by myself.
  • Also, people take GeekNights for granted. If you really think about it, people should be OMGWTF every time we put out an episode. It's like ANOTHER episode, that's right bitches. Still going.
    I'll be honest, I still get pretty happy every time I see a new episode. It's like a little treat.
  • It's easy to take something for granted when it appears so frequently. If you want people to lose their shit over new Geeknights episodes, adopt the AWO release schedule.
  • edited January 2011
    It's easy to take something for granted when it appears so frequently. If you want people to lose their shit over new Geeknights episodes, adopt the AWO release schedule.
    Hahaha, no. We decided on the Penny Arcade model, and we're sticking to it.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited January 2011
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Can't see shit, cap'n.
  • edited January 2011
    Here's another good trick: don't start talking about something until you're close to delivering on it. Maybe you can mention it in passing as you're starting, but don't keep reminding people about it while it's in process. Step up the talk once your deliverable is close to delivery. They'll start paying attention and then BAM! - the thing is done. This creates the impression that you can get shit done.

It's the Mr. Scott approach. If you know a thing will take you X time to complete, say that it may take you as long as 2X time to do. Then, when you do it in X time, or anything less than 2X, you look like a genius.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • It's the Mr. Scott approach. If you know a thing will take you X time to complete, say that it may take you as long as 2X time to do. Then, when you do it in X time, or anythinglessthan 2X, you look like a genius
    Programmers-to-be: this is an important career skill.
    I did not listen to the show during those days but I do not even understand how that is possible to keep up that sort of schedule and still have a life outside of working and podcasting. I would not wish that sort of schedule upon anyone. GeekNights is a nice podcast, but I don't need it 4 times per week.
    Are you making a clone?
    He WOULD be better suited to carrying our child. More space.
    Are you making a clone?
    He WOULD be better suited to carrying our child. More space.
    But that means no beer!
  • But that means no beer!
    Our child will be so intelligent that I'll need to hit him with some FAS just to bring him down to a reasonable level of genius. Otherwise, the consequences would be dire.
  • I did not listen to the show during those days but I do not even understand how that is possible to keep up that sort of schedule and still have a life outside of working and podcasting.
    They didn't really have lives back then.
  • So I don't do any errant shit-talking, my workplace is going to have openings for IT support techs later this year. The only minimum requirement is an A+ cert. Is the time and money for one worth it in case I don't get the job and want to look for something else in that field?
    While I do appreciate them, I also recall it being said that for Geeknights to stop, one of you would pretty much have to die.
  • While I do appreciate them, I also recall it being said that for Geeknights to stop, one of you would pretty much have to die.
    Geeknights will die the day Rubin gets a significant other. I.E. It will be on till the end of time.
  • Geeknights will die the day Rubin gets a significant other. I.E. It will be on till the end of time.
    Scott Ruben's wedding reception will be held at the Restaurant at the end of the universe. Can't fault him for style, at least.
  • I'm trying to imagine what it would be like if Scott tried to be romantic. It's kinda like imagining Mr. Rogers swearing: I can imagine it, but just barely.
  • I'm trying to imagine what it would be like if Scott tried to be romantic
    My god, there is a webcomic idea right there that you could run for years ;-p
  • I did not listen to the show during those days but I do not even understand how that is possible to keep up that sort of schedule and still have a life outside of working and podcasting.
    They didn't really have lives back then.
    They lived in the same house in the middle of Bumfuck. There was nothing to do without an hour train ride into the City or visitors. Now they live in the City and in separate apartments. It's pretty simple to talk for an hour with minimal editing end then upload a file if you live together and have a spare hour every night. Not so much if you have to travel and forgo other plans.
  • Back then, "awesome things" were relegated to the weekends. In the City, awesome things occur every damned day, and I pretty much constantly have to choose between awesome thing #1, awesome thing #2, and whatever I would have done up in Beacon back in the day.

Also, GeekNights is just as popular with half as many episodes. ;^)
  • Rym:
    "Hold your horses. I'm rapidly finishing the Pragmatic Party site (to be unveiled January 1st), and I've begun the build of the first of two game servers (Counterstrike to start). Once the CS server is up and the site is done, Minecraft will be the next server project. "

I am assuming you have shit talked about this...(the Pragmatic Party)
  • Actually, the Pragmatic Party site is up and awesome. But I had a change of heart and have basically re-written the entire platform with a focus on local politics. Maybe another month and I'll launch it. Delayed and somewhat shit-talked, but not abandoned.

CS Server was built, and while it's down currently while I re-arrange the server network connections, will come back online soon. As for Minecraft: fuck that. Way too much effort. Running a server is no longer shit-talking, but just shit. ;^)