This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

I'm saddened.... (Board games)

Comments

• Do you want to play the atrocious Civ card game I found?
    I'll up the ante with the Sim City card game I found in Wildwood.
  • !!!!! I bought a booster box of that damn Sim City CCG at the DexCon dealer's room in 1998. Worst mistake of my entire life.
  • Worst mistake of my entire life.
    Then you really can't complain about your life, can you?
  • Making blatant exaggerations is the second worst mistake of my life! I love my life!
  • edited November 2010
    Of course, nobody wants to play Through the Ages with me.
    D'awwww. I'd totally play it with you were we in the same time zone.
    I want to play my 1982 version of Civ the board game that is the basis for the original civ game. No one wants to play that either :-p
    I played that over 3 summer breaks when I was in Junior High. We would go every day during our Holiday break and play. It took all effing week. It was amazing fun. =D
    Post edited by Dromaro on
  • The trade feature on boardgamegeek.com continues to be an extremely useful feature of that site. I was able to score a copy of Chicago Express plus expansion in exchange for this very poor dungeon crawler, Tomb: Cryptmaster, that I was given to review.
  • Just ordered Roll Through The Ages for $23 and Betrayal at the House on the Hill for $20 on Amazon. :D Christmas presents for Jeremy and myself.
  • edited December 2010
    Just ordered Roll Through The Ages for $23 and Betrayal at the House on the Hill for $20 on Amazon. :D Christmas presents for Jeremy and myself.
    Yay, board games for Christmas! This year I'll be getting Zooloretto and Freemarket, while my wife is getting Dixit.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • edited December 2010
    Just ordered Roll Through The Ages for $23 and Betrayal at the House on the Hill for $20 on Amazon. :D Christmas presents for Jeremy and myself.
    Yay, board games for Christmas! This year I'll be getting Zooloretto and Freemarket, while my wife is getting Dixit.
    Yeah, I've been meaning to get those games for a while now. I need to find more games to buy, however I might pay my friend Ian to make me another copy of his homemade Modern Art.

I've also had my eye on a game called Marrakech where you place carpets on a board and compete vs other players to move the merchant and collect money.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Elkfest was OK fun. Until we took it to the floor. It becomes dangerous.
  • I see Bananagrams everywhere now. Even at the check out section of Walgreens. It's so awesome. I also saw the Scrabble wannabe of Scrabble Apples.

I did see a Double Bananagrams yesterday where it can accommodate for up 16 players. Holy crap that would be insane and fun.
  • Scrabble Apple is definitely an impersonation in packaging but is a very different game, and not a bad one at that. You take turns drawing letters and using them if you can, but you can use them to build off of other people's words to steal them. They can then be stolen back if they grow into even longer words, etc. I haven't played in a long time but I remember the rules being really flexible, in the sense that you could merge one of your words with another players to create a new word, even if it meant rearranging all of the letters from the two of them. I like Bananagrams better but this little apple is nothing to sneeze at.
  • So I got the Jungle Speed Expansion.

Whatever psychotic motherfucker came up with these cards needs to die.

Also, I can't wait to play it. Probably tomorrow.
  • I have been playing some serious fucking Bananagrams. Cafes, at home, restaurants, libraries...Everyday I be yelling "Split!"
  • My sister is looking for gifts for her board-gaming boyfriend. He plays Settlers, Puerto Rico and Game of Thrones. Ideas?
  • My sister is looking for gifts for her board-gaming boyfriend. He plays Settlers, Puerto Rico and Game of Thrones. Ideas?
    Those are resource management games. He might like Kingsburg. It's similar but with strategy of how to prepare for battles at the end of the year. Also Pirate's Cove.
  • My brother got me La Havre for Christmas. It is insanely good. The perfect combination of simple game mechanics with a massive bent towards strategy.
  • My brother got me La Havre for Christmas. It is insanely good. The perfect combination of simple game mechanics with a massive bent towards strategy.
    And long? It's not so bad after everyone gets familiar with the buildings but when ever we have someone new sit down for a game it always seems to add an hour to the play time.

I'm still torn between liking Le Harve or Agricola more.
    And long? It's not so bad after everyone gets familiar with the buildings but when ever we have someone new sit down for a game it always seems to add an hour to the play time.

I'm still torn between liking Le Harve or Agricola more.
    I really have to play some Le Havre.
  • My board game group is meeting two weekends in a row. This is rare and makes me happy. Last week we had Dixit, Poo, Ticket to Ride and Zooloretto. This week I'm gonna bust out some heavy Martin Wallace strategy games (Automobile, London) on them cause I need to get reviews up.
  • So I bought my first board game. Settlers of Catan. But I have no one to play with.... :( I read the instructions so I have a rough idea of how to play. I guess I will have to try one of them NYC board game nights.
  • So I bought my first board game. Settlers of Catan. But I have no one to play with.... :( I read the instructions so I have a rough idea of how to play. I guess I will have to try one of them NYC board game nights.
    You were better off buying it on the 360 so you can play versus online.

It's great that it's one of the most popular board games out there that people buy, but that's the thing, everyone has it or has played it over and over again. You should buy something that most other people don't have and is just as awesome. 7 Wonders wouldn't be a bad idea. I was thinking of picking it up sooner or later. I played it on New Year's at my friend's house and had fun.
  • 7 Wonders wouldn't be a bad idea. I was thinking of picking it up sooner or later. I played it on New Year's at my friend's house and had fun.
    We just played 7 Wonders over the weekend. Rym bought it. Great game if SCOTT JOHNSON doesn't fuck it up.
  • edited February 2011
    7 Wonders wouldn't be a bad idea.
    I really really enjoyed 7 Wonders, other then screwing up the game :-p

Plus I won the first game of it :-p
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • It was recomened by the store clerk as a good game for my first game.
  • edited February 2011
    I really really enjoyed 7 Wonders, other then screwing up the game :-p
    I'm curious. How did you fuck up the game?

I remember buffing up my army to where my opponents couldn't touch me, however it led to my downfall of not winning. It was my first time playing, so next time I will have better strategerie.
    It was recomened by the store clerk as a good game for my first game.
    That's normally a good idea at a local game store and what people would normally recommend, but you would have been better off asking us first. :P
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I'm curious. How did you fuck up the game?
    One turn he just didn't play a card, so I ended up having three cards when I was supposed to have two.
  • True. I guess I will have to try and get for the xbox. Any idea how much?
  • True. I guess I will have to try and get for the xbox. Any idea how much?
    I forget. I think I got mine for free during a special of some sort. Settlers is fun on the 360, but I prefer Carcassonne more.
  • Thanks for the heads up. When is the next NYC board game night? Do you bring your own games? Is there an enterance fee? What time do the start and how long do they go on for?