This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Warhammer 40k 5th Edition

Comments

• I'm just in it for the story.
  • That model looks like the robot has a hilarious papoose.
  • That model looks like the robot has a hilarious papoose.
    I am thinking Total Recall
  • I want that goddamn walker so badly it hurts.
  • Also, I've..."acquired" a pretty fleshed our vassal module for 40k if anyone is interested in playing 40k for 100% cheaper and 400% less time consuming.
    I'm interested.
  • How topical for this thread to come back up. Today I received my first cease & desist notice, care of Games Workshop! They want me to not use images of their models in future coverage of product announcements. Hello, your games suck. It's only the shiny models that keep people coming back. What's a post without the pic? This is the same company that forced the shut down of all of its fan sites and the removal of everything from BGG. Now they are turning down free publicity from a website that gets 7 million uniques anually! I think I will write an editorial on the superiority of Warmachine soon.
  • edited April 2011
    How topical for this thread to come back up. Today I received my first cease & desist notice, care of Games Workshop! They want me to not use images of their models in future coverage of product announcements. Hello, your games suck. It's only the shiny models that keep people coming back. What's a post without the pic? This is the same company that forced the shut down of all of its fan sites and the removal of everything from BGG. Now they are turning down free publicity from a website that gets 7 million uniques anually! I think I will write an editorial on the superiority of Warmachine soon.
    Be sure to have a full disclosure paragraph detailing the letter so everyone knows what's up.

Warmachine, Infinity (BEST. SKIRMISH. EVER.), and AT-43 (replace with Malifaux if you want something not out of print) are much better than 40K. Don't get me wrong, I love 40K, but GW is definitely not the end-all-be-all of wargaming.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Warmachine, Infinity (BEST. SKIRMISH. EVER.), and AT-43 are much better than 40K.
    I'd like to know more. I've been out of the wargaming mini game a long time.
  • Warmachine
    Tried Warmachine, and I didn't really like it that much. I dig the models, but the game itself wasn't stellar.
  • It depends on what you want from a minis game. Warmachine is all about synergies, combos and composition and it has many rules that can be hard to keep track of at first. There are also many mechanics which can suddenly win/lose a game if the players aren't on top of what is happening. It is almost more like a TCG than a tabletop game like 40k.

I'm a fan of both games but my tastes drift more towards Warmachine.
  • Infinity is a constant-action (no turns, almost like a tabletop RTS, actions are paid for by a flow of action counters) with really awesome cover and ballistic mechanics. Models come preassembled and prepainted, and you only need a tiny squad to start.

Malifaux is very similar, but with a setting more like Deadlands, and cards instead of dice and action counters.
  • I love the universe, I love the look of the game, I haven't enjoyed playing in years and I really dislike the company.
  • So, remember disccussing printing your own figures, but the conclusion was reached that the print resolution wasn't high enough?

Not so much anymore.
  • Today I received my first cease & desist notice, care of Games Workshop! They want me to not use images of their models in future coverage of product announcements.
    Fair use. Tell them to go fuck themselves.
  • Today I received my first cease & desist notice, care of Games Workshop! They want me to not use images of their models in future coverage of product announcements.
    As long as you host the images yourself, "Fuck Off" is a legitimate response IMHO.
  • Also, I've..."acquired" a pretty fleshed our vassal module for 40k if anyone is interested in playing 40k for 100% cheaper and 400% less time consuming.
    I'm interested.
    Do explain, vassal module? I may be interested.
  • Infinity is a constant-action (no turns, almost like a tabletop RTS, actions are paid for by a flow of action counters) with really awesome cover and ballistic mechanics. Models come preassembled and prepainted, and you only need a tiny squad to start.

Malifaux is very similar, but with a setting more like Deadlands, and cards instead of dice and action counters.
    Could you tell me more about Infinity? I absolutely LOVE the models, but no one around me has even heard of the game, let alone plays it.
    It absolutely was fair use, it was a reporting of news! MTV legal department of course caved to GW's completely bullshit takedown notice, for fear of legal action. I on the other hand well be telling them to go fuck themselves in my own way.
  • I on the other hand well be telling them to go fuck themselves in my own way.
    If only MTV knew that GW doesn't have any money to actually follow through on a real lawsuit... ;^)
  • If only MTV knew that GW doesn't have any money to actually follow through on a real lawsuit... ;^)
    I think they've been successful in the past.

While I love the game, GW are a bunch of fucktards.
  • If only MTV knew that GW doesn't have any money to actually follow through on a real lawsuit... ;^)
    If only MTV were not a corporation of Frightened little children who cower in fear at the slightest hint of controversy and fold like a cheap suit at the slightest threat.
  • Wierd this thread popped back up on the front page; I'm just about to dive back into 40k. The creative output part of my life was filled by modding, but I miss the game itself so much I've decided to fix my Steampunk guardsmen back up and head into battle again.

The Vernian Light Brigade will ride again!
  • I want to make steampunk Space Marines, with big bronze tubes feeding their helmets, and little copper toroids on the outside of their lasguns.
  • edited May 2011
    Space Marines
    lasguns.
    fluff rage rising... rising...
    Post edited by DevilUknow on
  • edited May 2011
    and little copper toroids on the outside of their lasguns.
    fluff rage rising... rising...
    Not necessarily implying that there's a magnetic field at work. Also, Lascannons, I know.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • The Steampunk Necrons in this thread are just super awesome.

Photo Gallery
  • So GW just announced a major price increase across the majority of their lines due to a change to resin models. That's pretty much the nail in coffin for me ever, ever getting back into the game.
  • So GW just announced a major price increase across the majority of their lines due to a change to resin models. That's pretty much the nail in coffin for me ever, ever getting back into the game.
    I like how pewter is more expensive than plastic, but they changed to plastic and raised their prices. This strikes me as the same thing. On the list of companies that screw their customers the most, GW falls in right behind oil companies IMHO.
  • I like how pewter is more expensive than plastic, but they changed to plastic and raised their prices.
    Pewter is also easy to mold and work with. Retooling to use plastic is probably very expensive for what they're doing.