This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Moratoria and New Rules

edited April 2011 in Flamewars
I'd like to see if people had proposed moratoria on certain things/phrases/practices. For instance, I'd like to call a moratorium on the phrases "over the top" and "the wow factor". I probably wouldn't hear those phrases as much if my wife didn't constantly watch HGTV and TLC, but the fact remains that those phrases have been overused to the point that they are now meaningless. If you use these phrases, please stop. You're being very silly.

Another moratorium: Joe Rogan, it's time to retire. You've made enough money and you've been in the public eye too long.

New rules are a little like moratoria. For example, I propose this new rule: To all the guys who convert to Islam and decide that they have to wear those stupid robes everywhere - I don't care if you decide to wear things that haven't been fashionable since the bronze age. However, you have to stick with one era. If it's cold, you don't get to wear Levis jeans under your stupid robes or North Face coats over your stupid robes. Stop walking around the city with your fakey looking biblical-era robes mixed up with modern day clothes.

Comments

• Doesn't a moratorium imply consent on both sides? I don't see that happening with a lot of the examples you cite. I think a ban is what you're looking for.

Also, I'd like to see a ban on people calling for moratoria.
  • No one gets to end an email with "Please advise." ever again. It doesn't mean what most people seem to think it means.
  • No one gets to end an email with "Please advise." ever again. It doesn't mean what most people seem to think it means.
    What do think it means? Not 'gimme advice' I take it?
  • New rules are a little like moratoria. For example, I propose this new rule: To all the guys who convert to Islam and decide that they have to wear those stupid robes everywhere - I don't care if you decide to wear things that haven't been fashionable since the bronze age. However, you have to stick with one era. If it's cold, you don't get to wear Levis jeans under your stupid robes or North Face coats over your stupid robes. Stop walking around the city with your fakey looking biblical-era robes mixed up with modern day clothes.
    Why do you care what other people are wearing? People can wear stupid stuff, like water wings, a mumu and a huge sombrero with a banana on the top, but it doesn't mess with me.
    over the top
    But this is a useful phrase that is old! Like if something is really zany and frantic, the humor is "over the top."
  • Doesn't a moratorium imply consent on both sides?
    No. Moratoriums are generally imposed.

Please stop saying, "In these economic times...."
  • Please stop saying, "In these economic times...."
    Also "the country is in a recession." It's been that way for years now! It's a god damn depression you just don't wanna use that word!
  • No one is allowed to say "You will love it" when describing a work of art or entertainment when they really mean "I liked it and even though I haven't though about what you enjoy, I will tell you to watch anyway."
  • edited April 2011
    The last couple of summers, I've seen lots of people wearing dishrags on their heads. I'm serious - not bandanas, but actual kitchen dishrags. I guess they moisten them first, and that makes a very, very little sense, but I think you could get about the same usefulness from a hat or a bandana.

Please stop doing this. You look really stupid when you wear a dishrags on your head in public.

Also, to all people wearing cowboy boots in Washington, DC: YOU ARE NOT A COWBOY! Even if you are, you're in DC now! Stop it!
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Please stop saying, "In these economic times...."
    I would also like to put a moratorium on any phrasing involving "post-9/11," as very little of value is found in such phrases.
  • The fashion of people younger than me makes me scared and angry!
  • edited April 2011
    No one is allowed to say "You will love it" when describing a work of art or entertainment when they really mean "I liked it and even though I haven't though about what you enjoy, I will tell you to watch anyway."
    This is rule #1 when reviewing any product and it really should carry over to personal conversations as well. Do not make unqualified statements! If you are going to claim something, always follow up with they why.
    Please stop saying, "In these economic times...."
    Oh this one a million times over. I don't want to hear about the economic times anymore. Yes they got dire for a bit. No they have not recovered fully but they have not gotten any worse over the past two years. You should have adapted to the status quo by now.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • edited April 2011
    The fashion of people younger than me makes me scared and angry!
    Actually, the people wearing cowboy boots, dishrags on their heads, and Moslem robes over Levis are all pretty old. I don't see many youngsters doing this. I said nothing about the clothing kids are likely to wear. I think this shows more about how poorly you process what you read than any animus I have against fashions of youth.

Also, accusing me of ageism? Kettle? This is Pot. You're black.
  • The fashion of people younger than me makes me scared and angry!
    Actually, the people wearing cowboy boots and dishrags on their heads are all pretty old. I don't see many youngsters doing this.

Also, accusing me of ageism? Kettle? This is Pot. You're black.
    I've never met an ageist AND racist kettle before.
  • New rule: There is only sex in the Champagne Room.
  • The word "hipster" has lost all meaning and people need to stop using it.
  • Synergy can go fuck itself.
  • edited April 2011
    The word "hipster" has lost all meaning and people need to stop using it.
    That's why I don't like "over the top". Overuse has rendered it meaningless.

I'm a little persuaded that the same can be said for the word, "awesome".
    But how will I continue to mock them. HOW!?!?!?
    But how will I continue to mock them. HOW!?!?!?
    A few of us had this discussion for a while in Radio One the other night. My opinion: if it's someone you'd normally mock using the word "hipster," then you can equally as well us the words "pretentious asshole" to get your point across. If it's not worth mocking someone over (i.e., a friend wearing a scarf or a vintage shirt), then maybe people should learn to keep their mouths shut and accept that other people have their own senses of fashion that may not conform to one's own.
  • To all the really skinny and/or hugely muscled people (of any age) who spend all their time at my gym: You've had enough! You go home now! Eat a cake, gain a few pounds, then you can come back.
  • Eat a cake, gain a few pounds, then you can come back.
    That's what I do, lose 20 pounds at the gym then go eat 20 pounds of food, rinse and repeat.
  • Wendy's new french fries: an experiment that failed. Bring back the old ones, please.
  • Wendy's new french fries: an experiment that failed. Bring back the old ones, please.
    Wendy's, you listen to him and you've lost a hungry teenage customer.
  • Wendy's: Chili, please.
  • So, what about "awesome"? Hasn't it been worked hard enough? Doesn't it need a rest?
  • So, what about "awesome"? Hasn't it been worked hard enough? Doesn't it need a rest?
    That would be so awesome.
    That would be so awesome.
    Captain Awesome says: "No. Awesome is awesome no matter which way you look at it, bra."
  • New rule: Nobody is allowed to give a shit about a king or queen or whatever unless they are in a country that has a king or queen or whatever. And even then, you are only allowed to give a shit about your king or queen.

Fuck this royal wedding nonsense.
  • The use of awesome in most sentences is a bit over the top, but in these economic times, what are people to do?

Also, marked increase in sex in the champaign room, please advise.
  • The use of awesome in most sentences is a bit over the top, but in these economic times, what are people to do?

Also, marked increase in sex in the champaign room, please advise.
    This is the funniest thing you've ever written. Good show.