This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Kickstarter

edited September 2011 in Suggestions
Figure might as well start a thread for this. I really like Kickstarter and have so far donated to two projects: CreaVures and Womanthology. They both have reached their goal and seem to be fairly successful.

For those who don't know what Kickstarter is, it's basically an online pledge funding system where people submit an idea and request funding for their project. If they meet their pledge goal, they will get funded by those who have pledge and so on and so forth. Depending upon how much you pledge, you can get receive certain items from the project owners.

Anyhoo, just thought I'd drop a line for Journey Quest Season 2, brought to you by Dead Gentlemen Productions. You may know them from other geeky rpg movies such as The Gamers or The Gamers: Dorkness Rising. They are local Washingtonian guys that I've seen doing stand up many times over and their movies are pretty good. I have yet to see the first Journey Quest, but I can only assume it's as good, if not better than The Gamers.

So yeah. I guess if anyone is interested, pledge money towards people doing awesome things or if anyone knows a good Kickstarter project to pledge to, inform us!

Comments

• edited September 2011
    Nub.

I've Kickstarted 22 projects of which only one was unsuccessful, and two are in progress.

The thing you have to be aware of is that you might never get the reward. If your heart is really set on getting the reward, you will be disappointed. There are some projects that were funded over a year ago, and the reward is still nowhere in sight. That being said, when a reward does come through, it's kinda awesome because something shows up in the mail you were not expecting since the day you paid for it is so long ago you forgot.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Nub.
    Yeah. Yeah. I don't actively go looking for projects to fund. The only two I've funded were from word-of-mouth from friends and online peoples. If you see something cool to pledge towards, share.

It is true though, for anyone who pledges to beware they may not get something, but it all depends on what you are backing. So far I'm 1 for 2, but the Womanthology book is supposed to showed up at the end of the year or something, and I'm 99% sure I will be getting that.

Also, if all goes well, more than likely Jeremy will be making a project to put on Kickstarter, but you won't probably see that until next year.
  • I wouldn't back something if I didn't want to see it done regardless of the reward. I've only thrown down on one project so-far though. I don't really watch the website much, and I'm not exactly rolling in spare money for projects where "I like that you're doing this" but "You havn't convinced me you are going to do it well."
  • I've backed 6 things so far, all of which succeeded in getting funded.
  • "I like that you're doing this" but "You havn't convinced me you are going to do it well."
    Yeah, there are quite a few that I would have backed, but had absolutely no confidence in whatsoever.
  • The scene for board games on Kickstarter is pretty intense. There have been games on there that topped $50k. It really all started with Alien Frontiers back in 2010, which is a game you guys have got to play at some point. It's a big dice rolling worker placement game ala Kingsburg, but after playing both now I can say I like Alien Frontiers quite a bit more. The first expansion is up for funding now (Alien Frontiers: Factions) and there is a reward level where you can get a copy of the base game shipped to you in October the minute its third printing hits the shores, in advance of when they ship the expansion reward early next year.

Also, if you are really into nerdy American-style board games (mostly war games), GMT Games has been doing this thing for years. They call it the P500 system, and people submit prototypes of games that you can check out and sign up for pre-order if you like. As soon as it hits 500 pre-orders, boom the game gets made.
  • edited September 2011
    I don't really watch the website much
    Same goes for me. The only time I've ever been on kickstarter was because a friend of mine linked to a project of his own, which remains the only thing I've ever helped fund.
    Post edited by P_TOG on
  • The scene for board games on Kickstarter is pretty intense. There have been games on there that topped $50k. It really all started with Alien Frontiers back in 2010, which is a game you guys have got to play at some point. It's a big dice rolling worker placement game ala Kingsburg, but after playing both now I can say I like Alien Frontiers quite a bit more. The first expansion is up for funding now (Alien Frontiers: Factions) and there is a reward level where you can get a copy of the base game shipped to you in October the minute its third printing hits the shores, in advance of when they ship the expansion reward early next year.

Also, if you are really into nerdy American-style board games (mostly war games), GMT Games has been doing this thing for years. They call it the P500 system, and people submit prototypes of games that you can check out and sign up for pre-order if you like. As soon as it hits 500 pre-orders, boom the game gets made.
    Alien Frontiers is similar to Kingsburg, but I'm the opposite of you, I prefer Kingsburg more. Alien Frontiers is a lot of fun, and I love the retro sci-fi aesthetic, but the game has too much player screwage for me. Also, the game lasts a lot longer than it really should. Personally, I find that Alien Frontiers plays a lot better as just a two player game (or even three) than the max number of players.

Still fun though.
  • I'd heard of a few Kickstarter projects, and I've pledged towards a few of them so far (Zombies, RUN!, Video Game Highschool and Star Command so far).
  • My dad gave some money to some guys who found an efficient way to make miniature trebuchets to schools for... education? Bottom line is: we're getting a trebuchet, and somehow helped some kids while doing so.

I've been kicking around (no pun intended) setting up a Kickstarter to get a 3D printer and send little trophies to people who get their books banned. I'm not sure if it would work, but it would be worth a shot.
  • people who get their books banned
    The poop that peed.
  • I've not funded anything on Kickstarter, but I've helped out some artists on indiegogo.com. I get nothing in return except thanks, but all the projects have gone ahead.
  • I am sad that I missed the guy who did the Dashkin animations when he was funding. He did really awesome animation classes if you gave him 40$ and all sorts of artbook stuff.
  • That Hatter's Table: The Hatter’s Table is board game about discovering the hidden and wonderfully strange rules that govern an apparently irrational situation. Set around the Mad Hatter’s table, players must dash around the Wonderland tea party while trying to figure out what secret rules govern the other players' movement. The Mad Hatter character serves as both an audio guide and aid to chaos.

Seems interesting enough to possibly donate to.
  • edited November 2011
    Post edited by okeefe on
  • So, I've been messing around with SketchBook Pro for the iPad. I'm really loving this app because as a person with little drawing skill, this makes me feel somewhat of a "pro". Anyhoo, I was looking online to see if they had any better styluses available.

I then stumbled onto this Kickstarter for them. He is apparently from Rochester, NY and will be making them from there.

I know this is a Wacom Bamboo stylus for the iPad, but this invention is pretty nifty to fit various pens that artists normally use.
  • Well, as far as I've read, the bamboo stylus is pretty good, but the tip seems to tear quite quickly.
  • Where did you get this info? Any sites other than Amazon? I'm curious because I just ordered it. >__>

I also have the Targus one, but I was wondering if they have anything with a finer tip if that is feasible.
  • Yay, the Womanthology Kickstarter graphic novel sent me an email asking for my address. Soon, I'll have the comic to enjoy. That Kickstarter was crazy successful with some really awesome pledge prizes.
  • A cool card game is now on Kickstarter, Lang-Guini.
  • An update: remember that Lang-Guini Kickstarter? Well they just added a reward for a $25 donation to get a VIP pass to Too Many Games!

If you are in the Philadelphia area and like video games it is a good con to go to, but looking on their site shows nice potential as to what it could hold.

$75 pass for $25 plus a cool party game and a booster pack, I think it is a steal.

• So if an online game were to do a Kickstarter, what kind of prizes would you think would be cool?
  • It depends. What's the game's strong suits? If it's art, give out prints of the art. If it's strong story, give out short stories set in the universe.

Otherwise, there's always copies of the game or the rights to name items/characters.
  • I've seen:
    -Have an NPC be modeled after you or a loved one
    -Art Prints
    -Soundtrack
    -Be an easter egg
    -Beta testing
    -Free updates and Discounts for future versions
    -Visit the studio
    -Have a producer tag in the credits
    -Early access
    -Stuff like hats, or other cosmetic things available only for donators
  • So if an online game were to do a Kickstarter, what kind of prizes would you think would be cool?
    The game.

• I like the in-game stuff Mr. Roboto said like being an easter egg. I would give money for something like that, even if I never played the game.
    The game.

I actually agree with Scott. I think I'd be likely to donate to a game mostly because I liked the idea of the game. So therefore I'd rather just get the game. So just put the money towards development. Hire someone else to help make the game or something, just give me the game!

• edited December 2011
    Aside from the game(Which all levels of donation above a certain number should get), small prop replicas, Pins and insignia(The Foglios provide an excellent example of what I mean.), limited edition merch, Get to put forward an in-game something, like an event, holiday, or the like.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited December 2011
    Sweet! I think I came up with most of these at the meeting! I have a good idea for a USB stick with soundtrack, concept art, and some game assets, as well as the NPC thing, and limited edition in-game items. Nothing is set yet, though, so don't quote me on any of this. Beta testing is always wanted.

Post edited by gomidog on