This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Isotropic (Dominion)

edited December 2011 in Board Games
I don't know if any of you play on Isotropic, but if you do, we should play sometime! (I'm amoeba amoeba) Meanwhile, post epic games/results.

Comments

• edited December 2011
    And, in case you don't know: dominion.isotropic.org
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • I've played my share of Dominion matches on BSW. Have you tried their site? Is Isotropic any better?
  • isotropic.dominion.com doesn't work...
  • I fixed OP
  • Who wants to play with me? I need to fast forward to 5 o'clock.
  • not to side line this topic but

http://boardgamearena.com

is also a great site that has Dominion Puerto Rico, Race for the Galaxy and a bunch of other games.
  • edited December 2011
    Played with Scott, he beat met 2 of out 3, then we played with Jeremy where I won! /flex

Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Black Market makes everything bad.
  • edited December 2011
    I can't believe this actually happened. This is the most epic Dominion I have ever been. I had so many buys and actions I didn't know what to do with them all.

Post edited by Apreche on
  • furry the fuck up
    Uh.
  • furry the fuck up
    Uh.
    Whoever Grain of Rest is just created my new favorite phrase.
  • edited December 2011
    lol. wow, that guy was mad.

I just played IRL using fishing village, bishop, city, grand market, bridge, mountebank, and some others. I won w/ 140points.
    I fixed OP
    thanks
    Post edited by no fun girl on
  • I'm getting pretty good at this. Winning much more consistently now that I know most of the cards.

Still, some people are really smart. This one game the final score was 8 to 6. He ended it right as I was about to buy all the provinces by buying all the cellars.

http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120112-210851-28c4873d.html
  • just FYI, player "the navigator" is extremely slow and rude. and he sucks. so don't play him.
  • For awhile I was winning a bunch. Lately I am getting my ass kicked.
  • It comes and goes. I was rated a 29 and went on a horrid skip and fell to 12. I'm rebuilding and back up to a 19.
  • It comes and goes. I was rated a 29 and went on a horrid skip and fell to 12. I'm rebuilding and back up to a 19.
    I was 6, now 4...
  • The interface is wonky and it lacks polish. It does have online and offline, though. Also, I hear rumor of a more polished version coming down te pipe. Still, bitch be free!
  • Now that I have played so much Dominion, I have some complaints. In my opinion, there are two major flaws in the game.

First is that when colonies are in play, the game still ends if just provinces run out. That is bullshit. It's a colony game now. The game should only end if colonies run out, or three other piles. If just provinces run out and the game ends, that's garbage. Someone can just play an easier and faster strategy that clears out the provinces faster than anyone can get colonies. It should be a harder game that forces you to get the colonies.

Second is that depending on which cards you are playing with, the luck factor can be too big. I played a game earlier where it was a typical rush for the witches. I was doing the exact same thing as the other guy. But due to the luck of the draw, he was able to give me all the curses, and even king's court the witches. I was trying to do the same thing. Had the exact same opening moves. I just drew the words hands, and he drew the best hands. Then because he started out slightly faster, I was slowed down by being full of curses, and there were no trashes. The momentum carried straight through to the end.
  • yep, the luck factor sucks, but ideally that averages out.
  • yep, the luck factor sucks, but ideally that averages out.
    Not for me, apparently.
  • I don't view dominion as an n-competitive game, so I don't hold it to as high of standards. Luck is a big part in as much as luck can be a big part of most trading card games. It does usually average out, and there are tight enough plans with certain card combinations to control the game... but overall I think it has just enough luck to be fun.

The other part I like is that even if there is an optimal strategy for a particular set of cards, you can potentially win by taking one of the other strategies that show themselves. I've found that the players on this particular service are overall very predictable and always go for certain obvious winning card combinations (everyone seems to love infinite action regression of some sort). So, especially with 3 or 4 player games, I go for a lot of alternative strategies. It certainly doesn't always work, but I still am able to keep myself entertained.
  • edited January 2012
    Second is that depending on which cards you are playing with, the luck factor can be too big. I played a game earlier where it was a typical rush for the witches. I was doing the exact same thing as the other guy. But due to the luck of the draw, he was able to give me all the curses, and even king's court the witches. I was trying to do the same thing. Had the exact same opening moves. I just drew the words hands, and he drew the best hands. Then because he started out slightly faster, I was slowed down by being full of curses, and there were no trashes. The momentum carried straight through to the end.
    Well, I mean, it's a card-drawing game. If you and another player attempt to execute the exact same strategy, you are forcing the game into a state that is determined purely by luck.

But luck is going to be a big factor no matter what, which is why I think of Dominion as a light, fun game, and not a serious competitive game. This is not to say that you can't do a lot to mitigate the luck factor, but there are times when you'll just get hosed.

Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Just won a game by buying all the curses and estates...
    yep, done that.
    have also won by ambassadoring the last colony...
    yep, done that.
    have also won by ambassadoring the last colony...
    I think ambassador is my favorite card.
  • scrying pool would have to be mine.
  • Another randomizer in the game that you can't control is simply turn order. You can do a lot to mitigate it sometimes... but other times the game just goes to whoever went first.
  • Another randomizer in the game that you can't control is simply turn order. You can do a lot to mitigate it sometimes... but other times the game just goes to whoever went first.
    Happened to me yesterday. Had a hand that could buy a fuckton of victory points and end the game. Other guy ended the game on his turn.

I think a simple way to fix this is for every player to have the same number of turns exactly.

Another more complicated fix would be to add "extra" cards to empty piles. For example, let's say I went first and a card pile empties on my turn. That pile is still considered empty for determining whether the game will end this round. However, until the round actually ends and every player has taken the same number of turns, those piles still infinitely spit out cards.

This does have some interesting side effects, though. I could create some sort of infinite curse machine that gives out like 20 curses in one turn. If there were only 5 left during my turn, it would give each of the other players just one more turn to try to dish curses onto me. It would also create weird situations with cards like the ambassador.