This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Why can't Lego release sets like this?

edited July 2007 in Everything Else
Giant Robo Lego
If this was a real Lego set, I would buy it without a thought. It is so cool!

Comments

• Oh mans, I would buy that regardless of cost.
  • The guy who made these also made some Gundams that are equally awesome.
  • OMG giant Lego robots taking over the world!
  • That was awesome to the 20th power :P
  • I've been crossing my fingers for sets like that for years now. Despite growing "out" of LEGOs, I still love them and intend to collect them like mad when I'm older. However, to answer your question, they simply do not make sets like that because of a few reasons:
    1) Niche market. I assume thats a robot from some anime film, (it obviously isn't a gundam, but I could be wrong not being an anime fan) which means not many people would be familiar with the product.

Okay okay, well thats just one niche products, why don't they make amazing sets more often? Well, its simple really:

2) Money. Even if they had something wildly popular, like say Star Wars, as a product line, there would not be a substantial market demand for the product of such a size and grandeur. Not many kids, (I'd site a press release LEGO had a few years ago but don't have it bookmarked), even play with new LEGOs anymore. The company was on the verge of bankruptcy around the time the premiere Xbox was released, and though this isn't confirmed I think it was the Star Wars franchise (and later Harry Potter) that really kept them afloat. A good example of cutting corners, all the Legoland parks are now owned by third parties.

In the case of the Star Destroyer, its $300. Consider how parents would jump all over that as a gift. This also explains why they've kept that model in production for so long--they have to make back all the cash on the molds.

3) Finally, licensing. The price of buying rights to reproduce products is immense, which is something that really holds LEGO back from making things like Lord of the Rings sets, more super hero sets than their brief stint with Marvel and D.C.

What really is unfortunate is LEGOs tentative relationship with violence; there has never been military LEGO sets. Therefore, you can bet no massive mobile gun platforms. =(
    The guy who made these also made some Gundams that are equally awesome.
    by the by, linky.
  • I wish that the people who make these awesome creations would post some instructions on how to make them. That would be awesome.
  • The only LEGO products that have interested me lately are the Mindstorms, the Exo-Force, and possibly the brick buckets. The Exo-Force sets are actually anime-inspired (they have a "manga" associated with them and everything) and consist mainly of robot armor-type things with spiky-haired pilots and robot villains.

I just wish that whole Bionicle thing never happened, although that may be what has kept LEGO afloat this long.
  • Now this is a lego set:
  • Now this is a lego set:

I would like to see that done using only camera angles and clever construction.
  • edited February 2010
    Well, I guess this is the best Lego thread to revive (there are quite a few on this board). As said earlier in the ToTD thread, I recently tried to build the Lego Gundam someone posted there. However, after building something resembling the legs, I came to the sad realization that it wouldn't be possible as there are too many parts used that I don't have and can't really make some improvisations to replace them.

Instead, I built a Lego Transformer. Had to make some improvisations here too since the scale is a bit different, but I think it worked out quite fine:
    imageimage
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • edited February 2010
    Nobody wanted a Lego house.

Scroll down for the Lego kitty.
    Post edited by phurballdj on
  • edited February 2010
    Nobody wanted a Lego house.

Scroll down for the Lego kitty.
    Did anyone else notice that the reading material says "MAYS LEGO HOUSE HOAX!"? Or was that just me? Also, Lego titties.
    Post edited by GreyHuge on
  • Everyone else who looked at the picture noticed.
  • Everyone else who looked at the picture noticed.
    Everyone in the comments was so credulous, but then I decided to figure out where this was from, Daily Online. I then remembered that "The Daily Mail" was a tabloid in England. FML
  • If it's free and needs a place, why not just ship it to Legoland?
  • I then remembered that "The Daily Mail" was a tabloid in England. FML
    Not just any old tabloid, but a Racist, Alarmist, Furners-tekken-urr-jerbs tabloid who have said, among other ludicrous claims from them being over-credulous idiots is that at this point, pretty much have claimed everything from Absolut to Zanax either gives you or cures cancer, including some things which apparently do both.
    It's the BNP and David Icke rolled together into a newspaper style production.

Also, they take themselves entirely seriously, so you don't get wierd headlines like you do with the red-top papers like "The Sun" who have had such memorable full page headlines as "Hero Cabbie: "I kicked a burning terrorist in the balls so hard I broke my foot." "
    And yes, I'm absolutely, 100% serious - they ran that as a headline.

I think I had more fun with just random legos however. Just trying to make something with the limited pieces I had to only be 1 piece short. Then I had to rethink my design.

• AFOL = Adult Fan of Lego
  • AFOL = Adult Fan of Lego
    I fall into that category. My moms trashed all my childhood legos...Got a technics set for Christmas to start rebuilding the collection.
  • edited February 2010
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • CrawlerTown
    WANT!

Seriously, if I were in charge at Lego I try hard as hell to figure out a way for people who build sets like this to be able to list the parts, upload build instructions, and sell that shit. Make an AppStore-like 70/30 split on the profits and let the monies roll in. Does Lego sell bulk? If yes, then some third party could even set this up.
  • edited February 2010
    I'd really like if Lego would just license some products outside of Lucas Films properties and just produce model kits of that stuff. There could be some serious money in Lego Gundam, Lego EVAs and similar stuff. E.g.:

Yamato:

Arcadia:

There is an application you can download from Lego where you can build all kinds of stuff, but that is really tedious work and not all parts in Lego history are included as some are no longer being produced. The application is also split into three sections for some reason and some parts are only available in one of the sections and can't be used in another. I have no clue why.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • edited February 2010
    Seriously, if I were in charge at Lego I try hard as hell to figure out a way for people who build sets like this to be able to list the parts, upload build instructions, and sell that shit. Make an AppStore-like 70/30 split on the profits and let the monies roll in. Does Lego sell bulk? If yes, then some third party could even set this up.
    It has already been done, though I don't think anyone gets paid for designs.
    From Wikipedia:
    Lego Design by Me is a service connected with the construction toy Lego. Launched in 2005 under the name Lego Factory, the service allows people to design their own Lego models using a computer program, then upload them to the Lego website, design their own box design, and order them for actual delivery. The brand also covers a small selection of products that have been designed by Lego fans, and which are available to purchase as a set.
    However, from what I can see, it isn't particularly user-friendly, and may not be particularly open when it comes to uploading designs. I suspect this is to prevent people from ordering the Lego(TM) Penis.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Brickshelf has homebrew CAD designs and detailed design pictures for everything from Zakus to Kaneda's Bike.

Simply work out what bricks you need, head over to the Lego website, and buy them individually.
  • Lego had a good idea when they allowed you to design your own. http://designbyme.lego.com/en-us/Default.aspx

Anyone get the lego mindstorms?

Anyone have Mega Bloks also? Had a few grandparents that didn't know that they were lego knockoffs. They could cut you if stepped on them or tried to pull them part.
  • Well, LEGO might not release crazy awesome user-created builds, but they do release films. The Adventures of Clutch Powers is a straight-to-DVD computer animated LEGO film. It's entertaining. If you have the time or are interested, and you can stomach the fun puns, you might get some enjoyment out of this film. I for one liked it.
  • edited May 2010
    Made while fishing through a random crate of Lego at my friend's house.
    Post edited by Omnutia on