This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Pokemon

Comments

• I love the new girl's design. Also the new poison gym leader with the bass guitar.
  • I like that sciency dude.
  • I'm interested to see how different it will be from BW. There is something tempting about a new Pokemon game without any new Pokemon.
  • Is it going to be DS or 3DS only?
  • Is it going to be DS or 3DS only?
    This is going to be a DS game. It's the Gen V "third game".
  • edited April 2012
    I prefer this version:

But yay for Albert Wesker in Pokemon.

Post edited by Nukerjsr on
  • I love the new girl's design. Also the new poison gym leader with the bass guitar.
    I have a black bass guitar, I kind of want to mod it to make it look like the Scolipede bass...

Gotta love Sawk.
  • All this buzz makes me want to Nuzlocke White version again.

• Trailer. My body is READY.
  • My body is READY.
  • Some new Pokemon-related 3DS apps are being released alongside Black and White 2. One is a Face Raiders-style game and the other is Pokedex 3D Pro that will replace the free Pokedex 3D app and include every Pokemon to date.
  • One is a Face Raiders-style game
    Eh.
    and the other is Pokedex 3D Pro that will replace the free Pokedex 3D app and include every Pokemon to date.
    Double-eh. Glad their apps, but honestly couldn't care less.
  • The Pokemon AR game will allow you to catch Pokemon and transfer them to Black and White 2.
  • edited April 2012
    Come on AR Pokemon snap!
    Post edited by ninjarabbi on
  • Come on AR Pokemon snap!
  • So I've been playing a good bit of Pokemon Showdown lately, and as such I've had my first exposure to "high level" Pokemon play. By that, I mean everyone seems to use the strategy of set up as many entry hazards as possible, some harmful weather, and a status condition, then sit back healing and stalling while they wait for you to die. Am I the only one that doesn't see the point? You're basically sitting at your computer and waiting for five/ten minutes to eventually see the text "You win!" (The difference from regular play being that there's no active thought - just keep hitting heal, as opposed to planning attacks/strategies on the fly)

Every match plays out the same way against someone like that, and I'm trying to figure out what kind of enjoyment anyone can derive from that. I'd heard that this was what "competitive" battles were like, but I never could believe it - who would want to do that? Apparently, lots of people. Admittedly, while I've been playing since Red and Blue, I never branched out much beyond the single player (at least not since Gen 1) - is this fun now? It doesn't even feel like the same game... or any game at all, really.
  • edited May 2012
    More information for BW2 has been released: http://bulbanews.bulbagarden.net/wiki/CoroCoro_reveals_new_information_on_Black_2_and_White_2

Most important bit: "The second page features the Pokémon World Tournament with every Gym Leader and Champion from every region taking part in single battles, Double Battles, and many other types. Participants featured are: Cynthia, Blue, Brock, Misty, Lt. Surge, Erika, Janine, Blaine, Giovanni, Volkner, Steven Stone, and Lance."
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • Most important bit: "The second page features the Pokémon World Tournament with every Gym Leader and Champion from every region taking part in single battles, Double Battles, and many other types. Participants featured are: Cynthia, Blue, Brock, Misty, Lt. Surge, Erika, Janine, Blaine, Giovanni, Volkner, Steven Stone, and Lance."
    That's pretty cool, I have to say. I was already excited for this, but now much more so - it definitely sounds like they're trying to make this a real sequel, not Gray. Well done Game Freak!

Although, I do have to say I'm really getting sick of all these new Formes of every legendary out there. I wasn't really a fan even with Giratina and Shaymin last gen, but it seems like they've just gone nuts with the idea now. How many alternate formes do we have this gen now? Meleotta, the trio, Kyurem (who has *two*)... too many.
  • I can almost see it now...a pokemon series withought goddamn ash all the time and with slick production values..

• BUT HIS HAIRDO IS SO FUCKING RETARDED.
  • I just keep thinking back to that fake anime season jpg for the Pokemon Adventures anime.
  • Pokemon as a franchise needs several things.

1. Universal forever MMO on all devices
    2. Card game
    3. Single-player games for portable systems (with reward links to the MMO)
    4. Cartoon and comic for kids
    5. Cartoon and comic for teens/young adults
    6. Cartoon and comic for adults (super cereal)

This would maximally capitalize on every demographic, including the aging one.

Side note: Pokemon was created in 1996. By 1997, I couldn't remember a time before Pokemon existed: it literally seemed in my mind like it had always just been.

OMG, it's over 15 year old!
    OMG, it's less than 20 years old!

So feel equally old/young depending on your current age. ;^)
  • Pokemon was a thing that I felt a little bit too old for when it originally came out, but was just right for my brother. I ignored it, he played it, then I gave in.
  • I was exactly the right age for Pokemon when it hit, and it kind of baffles me how I'm still so into it. Pokemon had literally all the trappings of a fad yet has managed to remain extremely popular and transcend age.

2. Card game

Side note: Pokemon was created in 1996. By 1997, I couldn't remember a time before Pokemon existed: it literally seemed in my mind like it had always just been.

While I agree with you on those six points, there's one more thing it needs.

Tabletop RPG. Which /tg/ is working on, kinda.
  • I was exactly the right age for Pokemon when it hit, and it kind of baffles me how I'm still so into it. Pokemon had literally all the trappings of a fad yet has managed to remain extremely popular and transcend age.
    It had critical factors that allowed it to achieve escape velocity into cultural orbit.

2. Card game

While I agree with you on those six points, there's one more thing it needs.

Tabletop RPG. Which /tg/ is working on, kinda.
    http://www222.pair.com/sjohn/pokethulhu.htm