This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Isotropic (Dominion)

Comments

• For all of its other faults as a competitive game, this is something that Ascension gets very much right. There are a set amount of honor tokens (victory points) available at the start of the game. Once they are gone, the game end is triggered, where any players who are 1 turn behind get to round out the game. They are allowed to earn more tokens, pulling them from an infinite pool of extra points.
  • For all of its other faults as a competitive game, this is something that Ascension gets very much right. There are a set amount of honor tokens (victory points) available at the start of the game. Once they are gone, the game end is triggered, where any players who are 1 turn behind get to round out the game. They are allowed to earn more tokens, pulling them from an infinite pool of extra points.
    Eminent Domain and a few other games do the same thing.
  • edited April 2012
    Post edited by no fun girl on
  • I suck so bad lately.
  • My level always shows 0. I'm not sure how many games I have to play for it to change at all. I know I'm not a total loser, I win a few games. Actually much like every competitive board game, I usually win with bizarre strategies.
  • My level always shows 0. I'm not sure how many games I have to play for it to change at all. I know I'm not a total loser, I win a few games. Actually much like every competitive board game, I usually win with bizarre strategies.
    You need to win moar.
  • I need to play moar.
  • Ok, so I just discovered this thing. I definitely want to get some games on.
  • I just learned how to use the system. Up for a match in the next half hour if anyone is interested.

• edited April 2012
    I'm game, though I can't guarantee that I'll do well. I'm not completely used to some of the expansion cards yet. I'll be waiting in the Secret Chamber area.
    Post edited by VentureJ on
  • Got beat by Matt. It was a strange game, since neither of us really knew what most of the cards did. Made a big misplay with the Bank card, which cost me a Province.

Still, I really enjoy how the interface streamlines everything. It definitely allows for very quick games.
  • I'm down to game on there whenever. Padalira is what I use. I did use Dromaro but I grew an internet stalker and had to switch ID >_<
  • Why do I suck so much?
  • edited April 2012
    Why do I suck so much?
    This is a great website for card analysis and strategy.
    It's also helpful to look at your councilroom.com profile to figure out your weaknesses.

Apreche: Looking at a couple of your games, you're still mostly trying to play Big Money when it's not the best option anymore. Also, you underrate the power of trashing. Ghost Ship is a great attack if you can hit the opponent every turn. +1C + #A is USELESS without either +#C or +B/+$$. Thief is almost always terrible card in 2P games.

Creamsteak: You seem to often avoid the "good cards" like most $5 attacks, & some other gems. Plan your game out before starting, looking for synergies between 2-3 cards. The website above is really helpful with this. Cursers are usually a must buy, and you need more than the opponent has (but not too many to destroy your flow).
  • I'm not TRYING to play big money. What happens is I get a deck that doesn't move, and I can't get any of the more powerful cards before the other guy does. Or my deck gets clogged up with curses or victory cards, and I gotta get money.

I also do not underrate the power of trashing. Trashing is my #1strategy these days!

I also do not underrate attacking. Attacking is my #2 priority.

There is something more subtle I must be missing. Almost every game I think of what I want to do, and try to do it. Almost without fail my opponent does what I was planning to do. Even though I tried to do the same, or nearly the same, exact thing, it doesn't happen. They take turns that are 5 hours long, and I can't do jack squat.
  • edited April 2012
    This game You should have led Silver/Loan, to make Grand Market more accessible. Grand Market is stronger than Cities with one-pile drained. Then bought a turn 4 Ghost Ship, and aimed to GS every turn, (Scheme obviously helps, but make sure you have enough silver to ensure early GM) and slow the City countdown clock. Early on, buy heavily (but don't drain) GM. Turn 11 you should have bought either Gold or Ghost Ship, buying only occasional cities to smooth the engine (don't drain piles for the opponent). With plenty of Grand Markets and very little actual $$, you can drain a majority of Cities at the last minute, as long as you kept up the GS pressure.
  • This game You should have led Silver/Loan, to make Grand Market more accessible. Grand Market is stronger than Cities with one-pile drained. Then bought a turn 4 Ghost Ship, and aimed to GS every turn, (Scheme obviously helps, but make sure you have enough silver to ensure early GM) and slow the City countdown clock. Early on, buy heavily (but don't drain) GM. Turn 11 you should have bought either Gold or Ghost Ship, buying only occasional cities to smooth the engine (don't drain piles for the opponent). With plenty of Grand Markets and very little actual $$, you can drain a majority of Cities at the last minute, as long as you kept up the GS pressure.
    You are right, but I didn't know what Loan does, or understand its power.
  • I'm getting back in the groove. Had a game today where I had a deck that was almost entirely grand markets. Bought two provinces every turn until game over.
  • edited May 2012
    I'm getting back in the groove. Had a game today where I had a deck that was almost entirely grand markets. Bought two provinces every turn until game over.
  • This game was the biggest brawl I can remember in a LONG time...

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201205/01/game-20120501-151932-371ae8a3.html
  • Gotta say I enjoyed getting this response:

9:10 Hilmario: Disgusting luck, lost to a fucking retard. Disgrace
  • I once had a guy I beat in iOS Carcassonne tell me I had a large ass.
  • Gotta say I enjoyed getting this response:

9:10 Hilmario: Disgusting luck, lost to a fucking retard. Disgrace
    That mentality, which is steadily growing on Isotropic, is disgusting and very annoying. I wish it to be stop.
  • Anyone want to play any? I'm home sick today. Clearly bored.
  • Anyone want to play any? I'm home sick today. Clearly bored.
    i will in a minute.
  • edited May 2012
    http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201205/11/game-20120511-215204-6d12782d.html
    You played that exactly right, and he played that exactly wrong. University was key in that game, with all the powerful $5 actions, and Ambassador is rarely a bad investment. Didn't need the extra potion, which you seemed to realize later on and gifted to the opponent. Looking at it, Rabble - Ghost Ship is an EVIL combo, particularly from all those greens you gifted. EVIL.
  • Extra actions (walled village) + goons + highway + scrying pool = 44 goons points and 4 colonies.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201205/15/game-20120515-184212-600ac8e3.html
  • http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120529-202723-f90a6635.html

That was the most fun game I've had in awhile. Spice merchant, workshop, highway, scrying pool. Used spice merchant and pool to keep the deck flowing and slightly slow down the other guy. Used highway and workshop to get most of the highways. Used pile of highways and workshop to get fuckin' provinces.