This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Why can't Lego release sets like this?

Comments

• Writing the ruleset for a Lego starship combat game. Think Battlefleet Gothic meets Mobile Frame Zero.
    You'd best release that, because now there is nothing else in the world that I want to do.
  • Teaser rules for the Terran Hegemony. Foldspace Carriers are going to be updated so that they have unlimited range, but scatter dice will be used to determine whether on not they're on-target.
  • Someone made a Lego... me! How awesome is this?

A friend mentioned it on Twitter, but I'm not sure who made it. I'm guessing one of his students built it, to work out my Work It Out Yourself video:

Although the hat comes from an image on my website:
  • Someone made a Lego... me! How awesome is this?
    Mah gawd. That's pretty fucking awesome.
  • When I was around 10 or 11 I wrote an entire tabletop game about Lego Space that I forced my 6 or 7 year old little brother to play with me. As I recall, the number of hit points a spaceship had was just a count of how many bricks it was made of. That led to some interesting and impractical designs...
  • When I was around 10 or 11 I wrote an entire tabletop game about Lego Space that I forced my 6 or 7 year old little brother to play with me. As I recall, the number of hit points a spaceship had was just a count of how many bricks it was made of. That led to some interesting and impractical designs...
    Borg Cubes, Borg Cubes everywhere.

Borg Cubes, Borg Cubes everywhere.
    Babbie's first use of 1 by 1 studs. You don't even need to make anything large, the hit points skyrocket like mad just using those studs.
  • Goddamn, Borg Cube of solid 1x1s. Fuck.
  • I introduced a friend of mine to Settlers and Agricola. Now he's designing a game I can best describe as a Power Grid-like, using Legos to make the board and pieces. It can be kinda scary seeing how excited he gets. He's like a meth addict.
  • Goddamn, Borg Cube of solid 1x1s. Fuck.
    Imagine two cubes of the same size, one made out of regular 4 by 2s (or 2 by 4s if you swing that way), and the other of 1 by 1 studs, then smash them with a hammer.
  • Borg Cube of solid 1x1s would have to be glued together since there would be no way to stagger parallel columns of bricks the Lego way.
  • Borg Cube of solid 1x1s would have to be glued together since there would be no way to stagger parallel columns of bricks the Lego way.
    So you have 1x1 studs sitting on a base plate, then.
  • Good catch muppet. Intersperse a few 2 by 1 studs. Problem solved.
  • Lego Borg Cube in nano scale:
  • Supposedly Lego is going to produce Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Lego sets next year.
  • There is in fact going to be a Lego Back to the Future Delorean:

Unfortunately they're not telling us what's going to happen with the other properties which reached 10k votes, which include a western modular town (I discussed modular sets at length earlier in this thread), an EVE Online ship, and products based on The Legend of Zelda.
  • They discussed the town, EVE ship, and Zelda products in the post accompanying the video. Long story short, no to all 3. The town conflicts with their upcoming Lone Ranger lineup, the Zelda line was deemed too expensive, based on needing too many new molds, and EVE was given just a short "did not make the best business case" answer. It appears the policy is to only pick one product per review cycle, or one per quarter. (source: http://legocuusoo.posterous.com/results-of-the-summer-lego-review)

Overall, very disappointing. The Delorean is very cool, and I can understand the cost of many new molds (as much as I want official Zelda Lego), but the way the review was done took most of the hope I had for Cuusoo. Many incredible looking sets have met the 10,000 mark, and this is what, the fourth to become official? It's clear that the people who would use a service like Cuusoo are not the "prime demographic" of 6-11, and so the service seems destined to fail. No Serenity, no Tachikoma, now no Zelda. I'm not really sure what to expect from them anymore. Sure, the Delorean is cool, but it's the type of thing Lego would make anyway. Clearly, we won't be seeing anything truly new out of this.
  • I think there's hope for Zelda, if there is enough support for it. Zelda is a very popular property among all age groups. There is already another Cuusoo Zelda project running with more than 7000 supporters. If they just repeatedly hammer it home, maybe there will be an official Lego, non-Cuusoo series of products.
  • edited April 2013

120 cm tall EVA Unit-01. That's about 4 feet for people who use a dumb system of measurement.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • edited May 2013
    Welp, Lego now gets all my money I guess.

I think I might be obligated to build a minifig scale model of the 600 meter steam powered space warship from my old webcomic. See you in a few years!
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on