This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Meta Forum Comments

Comments

• I never got hazed, but that is probably more because I joined when the forum was much, much smaller.
  • I feel like I wasn't gonna be hazed, then I made all these conservative "I'm a Christian bleep bloop bleep" posts and so I was hazed a teensy smidge.
  • Cheese laid the hurt on me in one post because I wasn't thinking logically, and then I played Catholic's Advocate for a bit and caught some lighthearted ribbing. Then I started thinking more about my arguments and became an atheist. No real hazing here.
  • I think my hazing was the first transvestism flamewar, though Scrym and Lou already knew me from cons.
  • Perhaps this means a forum initiate should innoculatroll?
  • edited June 2012
    Perhaps this means a forum initiate should innoculatroll?
    Been tried. It ended poorly.

Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I don't remember a hazing.
  • I don't remember getting into bad arguments until a while after I joined. I think I stayed out of most arguments except for occasional Tick ones initally.

That said, I also joined way early.
  • edited June 2012
    I think only people the forum disagrees with on some broad basis who repeatedly post about it get hazed.
    Post edited by Axel on
  • I think only people the forum disagrees with on some broad basis who repeatedly post about it get hazed.
    Under that definition, Apreche is the most frequently hazed person.
  • I think only people the forum disagrees with on some broad basis who repeatedly post about it get hazed.
    Under that definition, Apreche is the most frequently hazed person.
    He's automatically void from that rule since he helped create the forum, and thusly cannot be hazed.
    I was making fun of myself.
  • I didn't get hazed coming in but I tend to not stick my nose into things unless I have a good point or a silly reference to make. I post like I talk in the real world, basically.
  • I can't recall that I ever got hazed.
  • I don't remember when I started posting here...
  • Perhaps you, like me, are a figment of the internet that can only come into existence at a few times and places each year.
  • I don't get into arguments much in real life, and even less so on the internet. So I never got hazed.
  • premise: hazing is a matter of perspective
  • GeoGeo
    edited June 2012
    I definitely got hazed. I'm a better person because of it, due to the fact that what went on back was effectively the same as me having a spoonful of cement; the end result being that I'm a tougher person now.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • I've been hazed on more forums than I can even count anymore. I am fully hazed. :-)

(I ended up running two of them.)
  • I definitely got hazed. I'm a better person because of it, due to the fact that what went on back was effectively the same as me having a spoonful of cement; the end result being that I'm a tougher person now.
    my observation of hazing from various circumstances is that many people who put up with it say they are better for it. in most cases, this is rationalization.
  • edited June 2012
    I definitely got hazed. I'm a better person because of it, due to the fact that what went on back was effectively the same as me having a spoonful of cement; the end result being that I'm a tougher person now.
    my observation of hazing from various circumstances is that many people who put up with it say they are better for it. in most cases, this is rationalization.
    I am in favor of good natured, non-harmful, consensual hazing. I have both received it and administered it, and it was pleasurable in all circumstances. All the good feelings of mystery and tradition without any fear of actually anything bad happening.

Example: Take freshman, and put paper bags on their heads so they can't see. They all touch each other's backs to make a conga line. Then have one senior lead them around. They'll all be worried you are going to lead them somewhere bad. Not being able to see they have no idea what's going on! But really all you do is walk around the backyard a whole bunch and maybe squirt them with water guns or throw some rice at them.

Bonus on this particular activity is that the freshman learn to trust that you aren't going to actually hurt them even when they are in a vulnerable position.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • my observation of hazing from various circumstances is that many people who put up with it say they are better for it. in most cases, this is rationalization.
    Actually, in Geo's case, I'd say that's true. He's a much more developed and chilled out person than he was when he joined the forums, in part because he realized how unhealthy his attitude was, with the hazing he received doing a lot to highlight that to him - since it was a lot harder for him to see these things, as opposed to everyone else.
  • my observation of hazing from various circumstances is that many people who put up with it say they are better for it. in most cases, this is rationalization.
    Actually, in Geo's case, I'd say that's true. He's a much more developed and chilled out person than he was when he joined the forums, in part because he realized how unhealthy his attitude was, with the hazing he received doing a lot to highlight that to him - since it was a lot harder for him to see these things, as opposed to everyone else.
    Not to toot my own horn, but another factor which benefited me greatly in this respect was my self-imposed disappearance all throughout last year so I could live a little and get a little more life experience. I don't know about you guys, but I'd say it helped.

• I definitely got hazed. I'm a better person because of it, due to the fact that what went on back was effectively the same as me having a spoonful of cement; the end result being that I'm a tougher person now.
    You are so uninformed in this case. LordYupa was this infuriatingly annoying punk kid who would feel offended if you talked with someone about how cool a Youtube video was, and he'd even fail to spell 'I' properly and still forget the dot. We said fuck no, and proceeded to make a man out of him (insert montage music video here). Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand then he bought a new microphone. Now he's just Geo.

As for being hazed, lawl. When I joined these forums whispers wove through the regular posts laden with rumours. Then I offered a hateboner for sale to he who wanted it (offer still stands) and yayifications were had. When I join the forums anew in the future I shall either be stabbed to death with pitchforks and torches, or lauded as god immortal. My money's on the former, then at least I can afford a funeral if it were to happen.
  • The part Nine doesn't tell people is the part where he's the one who hazes people. XD
  • Inadvertently starting a flamewar in which no one agrees with you is not being hazed. It's being disagreed with. I feel like hazing is when people pick on a new person for no reason other than to assert dominance in the pack. In this forum, people argue and tend to pile onto points they don't agree with, making the inciter of said argument feel somewhat put upon. That is not hazing, it's not even really being trolled. It's just being intellectually ganged up on.
    I think part of your problem, Axel, is that when we disagree with you, you think we are picking on you as a person. We are picking on your ideas. I remember when you were trying to say how sex before marriage is immoral and bad, and I thought to myself, wooh, he is going to have a hard time selling that one to the FRC crowd.
    I have been disagreed with and told my ideas were stupid, but the only time I got seriously upset on the forums is when people dissed rabbits and posted videos of them getting eated. (I think that was Nine? I was really sad that night. Please don't do it again, even if you are trolling.)
  • I don't think everyone who disagrees with me was someone who "hazed" me, but I think along the way some people have "hazed" me in different ways.
    I'm mostly being lighthearted though. XD
  • edited July 2012
    (I think that was Nine? I was really sad that night. Please don't do it again, even if you are trolling.)
    I recall the Breakfast Club was pretty pissed off about that one, too - though it doesn't necessarily indicate it was or wasn't nine.

There has - I think - also been a similar incident, but with the person who goes by Lehouah on Something Awful, who has shown up here a couple of times under different accounts, usually spending about six months trying to troll before losing interest. Haven't seen that one for a while, though, I don't think.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • If someone's being unreasonable on a thread and you call them out, that's not hazing. But I have seen hazing (think sleep deprivation, emotional mind games, arbitrary memorization drills, boot-camp style yelling while blindfolded, etc., all in the name of tradition and bonding) and it is amazing how many people rationalize it as necessary suffering. That's what I was talking about.
  • If someone's being unreasonable on a thread and you call them out, that's not hazing. But I have seen hazing (think sleep deprivation, emotional mind games, arbitrary memorization drills, boot-camp style yelling while blindfolded, etc., all in the name of tradition and bonding) and it is amazing how many people rationalize it as necessary suffering. That's what I was talking about.
    Those are all actually harmful activities, except maybe the memorization game.