This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 070823 - Being Jaded

RymRym
edited August 2007 in Everything Else
Tonight on GeekNights, we talk about being jaded.
Rym's News - "The Loudness War"
Scott's Thing - Korean Street Fighter Movie

Rym's Thing - The Front Fell Off

Comments

• Is it just me or can anyone connect to libsyn?
  • John Clarke and Brian Dawe FTW!

And yes, the front fell off Libsyn.
  • clxclx
    edited August 2007
    Is it true that people outside Europe can't tell the difference between an Albion accent and an Australian accent?
    Post edited by Rym on
  • I cannot think of anyplace else, except this podcast, for where I got this thing: The Loudness Wars.

It might have been a thing of the day previously or otherwise mentioned. In any case it demonstrates visually and comprehensively what dynamic range compression does and why it is (in the view of the presenter) bad.
  • edited August 2007
    Just to make this clear: please don't hate me because I actually spend my time playing in a real life symphony and enjoy hearing some dynamic range in front of my stupidly expensive stereo system.

If anyone wants to participate in some double blind tests, I conduct them regularly in my living room (with various kinds of music). It's interesting to hear peoples reactions because it doesn't matter to everyone. The more training they have (in music), however, the more they care.

I listen to my mp3 player as much as the next guy (duh, podcasts), but I like my dynamic range as well. OK. I've said my piece.
    Post edited by cosmicenema on
  • Sorry for the double post but I'm still listening to the episode.

It's pop, not soda.
    Fast food is poison. White Castle is not different (but it's tasty).
  • I am on the side of dynamic range. Could a song such as Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody be produced today?

It bugs me to no end that the newer songs I have on my iPod are so much louder that when an old song comes on (Billy Joel) I have to turn the volume up and then down again after the song is over.

• It bugs me to no end that the newer songs I have on my iPod are so much louder that when an old song comes on (Billy Joel) I have to turn the volume up and then down again after the song is over.
    Enable the Sound Check feature.
  • For some reason, I can't connect to the episode on itunes. I also having trouble downloading it from the site. Its giving me a Problem Loading Page. Anyone else have that problem?
  • For some reason, I can't connect to the episode on itunes. I also having trouble downloading it from the site. Its giving me a Problem Loading Page. Anyone else have that problem?
    Libsyn Status
  • I actually had to use the MP3 Direct Download link to get it for some reason. I got it, however, and it was goodness.
  • It's pop, not soda.
    It's soda, hoagies, sneakers, and lineAr.
  • lineAr.
    Like a pirate? Really?
  • lineAr.
    Like a pirate? Really?
    As in not a long E sound. It's not pronounced like the body part.
  • lineAr.
    Like a pirate? Really?
    As in not a long E sound. It's not pronounced like the body part.
    So not like a pirate. Dang.
  • "Firefox can't find the server at www.libsyn.com."

Darn... must be out (again) I really want to listen to your episode!
  • edited August 2007
    Based on what it says on libsyn's blog (as linked to from Scott's post) all you should have to do to get firefox to find the page is press "CTRL + F5" which is supposed to force Firefox to get a fresh copy of the page and ignore the cache.

If that doesn't work then I'm a moron. =)
    Edit: Just tried it on my home PC (remote access FTW!) and it turns out I'm a moron. =(
    Post edited by raquor on
  • Tell you what.  Get us 10,000 listeners, and we'll upgrade to something better than Libsyn. ^_~
  • I guess it is annoying when people made fun of someone that is into something really awesome and then after 4 years that something awesome becomes popular and everyone jumps on the wagon such as is the case with me with Starcraft and anime in general. So now some of my classmates from back then tell me about the anime that is on right now and I just ask them is they now Tezuka or Naoki Urasawa, if they don't then I tell them to search but I guess they will have to find out about then in 4 years.
  • Libsyn is still down for me, so I guess I'll wait for the ep.  Ctrl-F5 failed to work, so I'm thinking my cache isn't the problem.
  • Libsyn is still down for me, so I guess I'll wait for the ep. Ctrl-F5 failed to work, so I'm thinking my cache isn't the problem.

It's probably your ISP's DNS server has yet to update. You can either put a setting in your hosts file for libsyn or you can manually change DNS servers.
  • edited August 2007
    Also, how do you guys know about chacarron?
    Post edited by Rym on
  • I've been randomly going through archives of various podcasts and this one was on the list today. I found it ironic because part of the discussion, Rym & Scott talked about how there is so much media to consume that from work and normal everyday life events, they honestly don't have the time to be able to consume all the possible entertainment they are interested in.

Over the few months, I found this to be more and more relevant to my own personal life. Taking up various new hobbies, e.g., needlework, reading more comics and books, I sometimes find it difficult in choosing what I want to do a with my time. There are so many video games that are constantly coming out that I want to play and anime I want to watch, but at the same time I want to create more things with needlework and read more books.

I purchased Animal Crossing: City Folk back in December. I would pretty much play it everyday because of the "real time" factor. I've pretty much stopped playing since the beginning of February. As much as I have loved the series, I've realized I don't have the time to commit to a game like that. I've purchased Braid and am only on world 4 and stopped because I couldn't figure out a certain level. I have Guitar Hero: World Tour, Rock Band, & Rock Band 2, but have barely played them. I've also purchased Little Big Planet and only played through the Tutorial.

(It doesn't help anything either that I've started playing WoW again. -_-)

As for anime/DVDs go, I have about 3 series I want to watch, but I honestly find it hard to just sit down to watch something new because I feel I could be doing something else like needlework. I can normally do needlework while having something on in the background that I occasionally will watch a few minutes of, but for the new things I haven't seen, it would pretty much not work at all.

What I found more interested about re-listening to this episode was a recent article from Kotaku about N'gai Croal leaving Newsweek. There was a certain part of the article that I found fairly intriguing:
    "I want to do something more creative than when you are on the journalism side of things," he said. "I think it's going to be a combination of things, I'm still in the process of figuring that out. There is some interest in me consulting on games, that's something I'm interested in as well.

Croal says that he believes there is a stratification that's going on in the video games industry. That developers concentrate too much on an audience of 12 to 24 year olds who have plenty of time on their hands to play, but forget that the older audience has less time to play.

That's something he thinks he can help with.

"As a journalist you sort of get a broad perspective across multiple genres," he said. "I've covered things here ranging from pop music to movies and other things. To be able to bring a bit of a broader perspective, I think that might be useful at a time like this for certain developers who want to expand their audience."
    I've realized that I'm no longer that audience of 12 to 24 year olds that have a lot of time to concentrate on various video games. I also thought N'gai Croal has made a good point that most developers concentrate too much on that age group. Even though Nintendo has already gotten to the wider audience of the everyday normal people, most of the games they came out with lacked substance.

The main point I'm trying to get at is, I wonder what ideas N'gai Croal will have if he chooses to work with developers as a consultant and what would come out of it. I am a bit optimistic and look forward to see what comes out of this, if anything comes out all.

I know for myself, I basically have to use time management and pick and choose what I want to do, but it would be nice to see what sort of games he is referring to for us older audiences that have less time to play.
  • Hey guys.

I tried listening to this episode and I don't know what happened, but it must have gotten corrupted or fucked up in someway because it is completely unlistenable as parts of it are strewn all over the place. It has effectively become gibberish. Is there any hope of saving it?
  • Hey guys.

I tried listening to this episode and I don't know what happened, but it must have gotten corrupted or fucked up in someway because it is completely unlistenable as parts of it are strewn all over the place. It has effectively become gibberish. Is there any hope of saving it?
    But of course. What do you take us for. Unlike some people we back shit up. Everyone take this as a reminder. Back your shit up. Real backups. Not bullshit ones.
  • Hey guys.

But of course. What do you take us for. Unlike some people we back shit up. Everyone take this as a reminder. Back your shit up. Real backups. Not bullshit ones.
    Speaking as a fellow podcaster, this is critically important. I would cry if all the Cage Rage episodes died should some catastrophe occur.

• edited June 2012
    Hey guys.

Backups, like for reals. All the FNPLs are on libsyn, but also on my computer, on my home fileserver, on my private web host, and on the internet archive.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • I don't have shit I care about enough to backup.
  • I don't have shit I care about enough to backup.
    Hurray for the ease of mind of only caring about life's actually important aspects.
  • I dunno, I've spent a lot of money on music , just as an example, both downloaded and from CDs. If my house burned down today and I lost all of that, I'd be pretty darn upset. Maybe it's not important but that is a lot of money lost.