This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Wii U

edited September 2012 in Video Games
Launch date of 11/18, price of $299 for the basic white console and $349 for the deluxe black console bundled with Nintendoland and accessories.

No one cares? Bayonetta 2 is a Wii U exclusive and launch title, as are Pikmin 3 and Rayman Legends.

Ok, now I'm a bit interested.

Comments

• Launch date of 11/18, price of $299 for the basic white console and $349 for the deluxe black console bundled with Nintendoland and accessories.

No one cares? Bayonetta 2 is a Wii U exclusive and launch title, as are Pikmin 3 and Rayman Legends.

Ok, now I'm a bit interested.
    If it was possible to take fucks, rather than give, I would be doing so. Nintendo just isn't making the games anymore. On the Wii people complained that there weren't enough serious games from the third parties. Now there aren't even any Nintendo games. Y U NO Launch with Smash Bros?

The only game they showed that even really made sense with the Wii U was Madden, which is the captain obvious idea they should have already been doing since the GameCube days. Not going to reward them for doing something a decade too late.
  • Launching with Smash Bros is a terrible idea. It's a terrible game. Don't give me any "hidden depth" bullshit, either. It's a button spammer with finesse.

They SHOULD launch with a holy trilogy title, but frankly they've bled them all to death.

I have a hard drive mod on my Wii that makes it into, basically, a Nintendo Jukebox of games. I can select any game from my couch without getting up to swap disks.

The dust on my Wii is half an inch thick.
  • Launching with Smash Bros is a terrible idea. It's a terrible game. Don't give me any "hidden depth" bullshit, either. It's a button spammer with finesse.
    Well, clearly we can disregard everything you have to say.
    People who argue that either Smashbros or Pokemon are worthwhile gaming titles can generally be safely ignored. It's especially interesting on this forum, where some will agonizingly debate over whether this or that boardgame is engaging enough, but then champion Pokemon as if it's a gold standard when it's basically a random number generator with some rock-paper-scissors stapled to it.
  • edited September 2012
    To be fair, they are launching with a Mario game too, but it's another New Super Mario Bros, so who cares. Also, Sakurai said the next Smash games was still about 4-5 years away and they've only just started early development. You can bet I'll be getting that for 3DS and not Wii U, though.

[Edit] Aaaand flamewar imminent.
    Post edited by Sail on
    People who argue that either Smashbros or Pokemon are worthwhile gaming titles can generally be safely ignored. It's especially interesting on this forum, where some will agonizingly debate over whether this or that boardgame is engaging enough, but then champion Pokemon as if it's a gold standard when it's basically a random number generator with some rock-paper-scissors stapled to it.
    I never got why everyone loved pokemon so much either.
    You are correct. The battling competition part of Pokemon is indeed a random number generator with rock-paper-scissors stapled to it.

However, the single-player part of Pokemon is basically Earthbound. The art and story of Pokemon is A++. Pokemon Adventures manga ftw. Just got the first boxed set!

As for Smash Bros. you are wrong. It's every bit a competitive fighting game as Street Fighter. While there is randomness in items and stages, it can all be adjusted. Final Destination, no items, Fox only!
  • People who argue that either Smashbros or Pokemon are worthwhile gaming titles can generally be safely ignored.
  • edited September 2012
    Launching with Smash Bros is a terrible idea. It's a terrible game. Don't give me any "hidden depth" bullshit, either. It's a button spammer with finesse.
    I think you either grew up with it, or you didn't. It's a nostalgiagasm situation.

I find comparing Pokemon to Earthbound offensive. :-P
    Post edited by muppet on
    I think you either grew up with it, or you didn't. It's a nostalgiagasm situation.
    My brother grew up with Pokemon. I didn't pick it up until high school.
  • You are correct. The battling competition part of Pokemon is indeed a random number generator with rock-paper-scissors stapled to it.

However, the single-player part of Pokemon is basically Earthbound. The art and story of Pokemon is A++. Pokemon Adventures manga ftw. Just got the first boxed set!

As for Smash Bros. you are wrong. It's every bit a competitive fighting game as Street Fighter. While there is randomness in items and stages, it can all be adjusted. Final Destination, no items, Fox only!
    All this. Plus if you're not actually an expert at the fighting games, you can still play with all the randomness and watch crazy shit happen and have a good time.
  • edited September 2012
    Seriously, I'm not going to laud pokemon as a gold standard, but it's a fun game. And while it's no great strategic Rubik's cube, watering down its summary to RNG rock-paper-scissors isn't fair either--especially from those of you who aren't even remotely involved in the metagame.

I could give any of you a week to study pokemon metagame and prepare a team, and I'm still fully confident that I'd sweep the floor with you in a standard competitive 6 v 6.

Just sayin'. The pokay deserves a pinch more credit.
    Post edited by loltsundere on
  • I accept that Mario Kart is an awesome racing game. I love it, even with the randomness that makes it into a family affair. It's racing for moms and dads and kids and cousins, all in the same race, done right.

I just don't see this balance with Smash Bros, but I guess, maybe. My daughter has it and it's been played all of 15 minutes in my house. She doesn't even play it with her friends.

I do know it takes up like 7GB on my Wii hard drive.
  • Seriously, I'm not going to laud pokemon as a gold standard, but it's a fun game. And while it's no great strategic Rubik's cube, watering down its summary to RNG rock-paper-scissors isn't fair either--especially from those of you who aren't even remotely involved in the metagame.

I could give any of you a week to study pokemon metagame and prepare a team, and I'm still fully confident that I'd sweep the floor with you in a standard competitive 6 v 6.

Just sayin'. The pokay deserves a pinch more credit.
    Six Dragonites. Can't lose.
  • edited September 2012
    Six Dragonites. Can't lose.
    This man clearly has swag.

Post edited by loltsundere on
  • I accept that Mario Kart is an awesome racing game. I love it, even with the randomness that makes it into a family affair. It's racing for moms and dads and kids and cousins, all in the same race, done right.

I just don't see this balance with Smash Bros, but I guess, maybe. My daughter has it and it's been played all of 15 minutes in my house. She doesn't even play it with her friends.

Is your daughter a professional fighting game player? That's the target audience of Smash Bros.
  • edited September 2012
    I accept that Mario Kart is an awesome racing game. I love it, even with the randomness that makes it into a family affair. It's racing for moms and dads and kids and cousins, all in the same race, done right.

Is your daughter a professional fighting game player? That's the target audience of Smash Bros.
    I'm sorry, I just threw up from laughing a little too hard.

So the fact that you have to shut off the crazy, spammy item drops in order to have a "serious" game is what gives you that indication?
    Post edited by muppet on
    Flame war participants, please note: Arguing the quality of Smash Bros. is clearly a matter of taste, and no member of one party will be able to convince his/her opponents that they are wrong over the internets. However, this is not a discussion on the quality of Smash Bros, this is a question of whether or not launching with Smash Bros. was a good idea on Nintendo's part. For this particular flame war, the pro-Smash side has statistical evidence, as Smash Bros Melee and Brawl, both of which were released very close to launch, were top sellers throughout the lifespan of their consoles. Therefore, one should not focus attacks on whether or not Smash Bros is a quality series, but whether or not "Launching with Smash Bros is a terrible idea."

This statement, dear forumites, is very clearly false.
  • edited September 2012
    I accept that Mario Kart is an awesome racing game. I love it, even with the randomness that makes it into a family affair. It's racing for moms and dads and kids and cousins, all in the same race, done right.

Of course I already disregard most that Scott says about video games already.
    Post edited by Apsup on
  • I wasn't aware that "serious" games were Nintendo's forte.

You're clearly in the minority as one who would not shell out $50-something for a new SSB release, and therefore not convincing me that launching with it is a terrible idea.
  • I wasn't aware that "serious" games were Nintendo's forte.

You're clearly in the minority as one who would not shell out $50-something for a new SSB release, and therefore not convincing me that launching with it is a terrible idea.
    I didn't say serious games were Nintendo's thing, Scott did.

When I said launching with SSB was a terrible idea, that was tongue-in-cheek. I've never seen such a concentration of pedants on one forum before. OK, that's not true, one other forum.

Anyway, clearly SSB is a very popular series and launching with it would sell consoles.

For ME it would be terrible. It's an awful game. I'd like to see a Metroid or Zelda launch, if they can wash the shit off of either of those franchises and pretty them back up after "Other M" and Skyward Sword.

Mario, sadly, has been beaten into the ground. NSMB2 as a 3DS exclusive title is utter bullshit and a clear ploy to sell hardware.

• For ME it would be terrible. It's an awful game. I'd like to see a Metroid or Zelda launch, if they can wash the shit off of either of those franchises and pretty them back up after "Other M" and Skyward Sword.
    Nobody cares about you because you don't like Pokemon.
  • Animal Crossing: Jump Out is coming out for 3DS, that's all I care about. Along with the new Professor Layton next month.

I'm ok with not playing anymore Mario games on the Wii. I haven't even gotten back to Super Mario Galaxy 2 yet.

• For ME it would be terrible. It's an awful game. I'd like to see a Metroid or Zelda launch, if they can wash the shit off of either of those franchises and pretty them back up after "Other M" and Skyward Sword.
    ;_;

• I like how thoughtful and insightful this thread on the Wii U is. No one cares about Aliens: Colonial Marines?
  • Animal Crossing: Jump Out is coming out for 3DS, that's all I care about. Along with the new Professor Layton next month.

I'm ok with not playing anymore Mario games on the Wii. I haven't even gotten back to Super Mario Galaxy 2 yet.
    My daughter is in a huge tizzy over the new Layton game. She's been shirking and hasn't gotten an allowance in like, 3 months and her funds are running low so the buy-in of a 3DS plus game is probably going to take her until early Spring.

Poor thing. :-)

I grew up with it. I didn't get it then same as I don't get it now.
  • Not this time, Nintendo. I'll wait to see what they do with the WiiU.