This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Mixology

Comments

• Ok, I want to try this. Must definitely try at PAX even though the alcohol tax is ridiculous now since that one thing passed.
  • edited July 2012
    1-800-mint-julep-ftw

so glad i had that bottle of woodford on hand.
    Post edited by no fun girl on
  • What should I get my cousin for his 21st birthday? Nothing to expensive, but I don't want to give him poor quality booze either.
  • Ok, I want to try this. Must definitely try at PAX even though the alcohol tax is ridiculous now since that one thing passed.
    Try buying anything more than a beer in Massachusetts.
  • This weekend I am going to embark to our local liquor warehouse and buy the necessary equipment. I need a muddler, and I think I have a shaker and strainer that was left here by George, and I know I have a shot glass/measuring glass. I'll need some sugar cubes, but that shouldn't be hard to come by. I'm also going to see if they have any of the bourbons you recommended at a reasonable price.

I'll report back with pictures and status report of my first attempt at making any sort of cocktail ever.

@Jack - Toughie. The world of alcohol is vast. If you don't know what he likes, it's a risk.
  • What should I get my cousin for his 21st birthday? Nothing to expensive, but I don't want to give him poor quality booze either.
    I would say it depends on what he has had, if at all. There are people who don't like beer because they've only had Miller High "Life". Those people get a good quality Belgian. I think whiskey is a nice gift as it is both delicious and versatile, and you can get a decent bottle for ~35$
  • German and Belgian wheat beers are a good bet. Pilsner Urquell is the only pilsner-style lager I'll acknowledge as beer, although if you're trying to stay very cheap I recall Yuengling is one of the most decent cheap beers.

Those are good if he's not had much experience with beer. Otherwise I'd recommend something more interesting - I was just at a wedding with a quarter-keg of Middle Ages Raspberry Ale, which was fantastic.

In my own stories, two of my roommates took a bartending class last year and so made cocktails frequently. The best was when we wound up having some lemongrass lying around, and so we made delicious lemongrass mojitos.

And Churba, you should make a podcast that's just you describing how to make complicated cocktails.
  • I've personally made two cocktails/mixers. Always been kind of fascinated with them, I like how many drinks can be so varied and have interesting recipes.

I was known around college making a drink that was
    2-3 Parts of White Grape Peach Juice
    1 Part of Lime Rum
    1 Part of Jack Daniels Whiskey.

(Combine in shaker, shake with ice, strain)

Would you consider this weird combination a true cocktail or some strange abomination? It worked well as a shot and as a whole drink.
  • GeoGeo
    edited July 2012
    Post edited by Geo on
  • edited July 2012
  • ftfy
    touche

• edited July 2012
    Pretty good Summer cocktail:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_Breeze_(cocktail)

When you do it right it tastes super good. If you do it wrong then it just tastes like cranberry juice, which you may also think tastes good if you're one of those people.

EDIT: I am too dumb to know how to escape parenthesis in a URL.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • Is it possible without an anchor tag though?
  • edited July 2012
    Well, in the end the forum is just going to auto-generate an anchor tag. You could do this:
    but it's more effort than doing this:

Note: You won't see the difference unless you use the quote feature to see what I wrote.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • There really aren't a lot of drinks that call for apple cider, but there is one that I love called the Conchord. Very simple. Take a pint glass, put in a shot of good gin, and then fill the rest up with cider. You wouldn't think that just a shot would make that big of a difference, but it does. Also, if you use hard apple cider, this drink will get you drunk real quick.
    Really? I've heard of people doing that, but I've never heard it called that - that's really interesting! Though, I've heard of a concord fizz, that's rasberry, basil, lemon, grapes, vodka, and cherry.

Also, I'm back at home with my books and shite, so I'm now better able to sort you out for both a cider cocktail, and testing.
    What should I get my cousin for his 21st birthday? Nothing to expensive, but I don't want to give him poor quality booze either.
    Well, That's an interesting question. I'd like the following information - Has he had a few(or quite a few) cheeky drinks before he came of age, are there any things he particularly likes flavorwise that you know of, and what's your rough budget? As I've said, I don't drink shit, and neither should you(or your cousin), but cheap and shit are not the same thing, there are some very acceptable cheap drops around.
    This weekend I am going to embark to our local liquor warehouse and buy the necessary equipment. I need a muddler, and I think I have a shaker and strainer that was left here by George, and I know I have a shot glass/measuring glass. I'll need some sugar cubes, but that shouldn't be hard to come by. I'm also going to see if they have any of the bourbons you recommended at a reasonable price.

I'll report back with pictures and status report of my first attempt at making any sort of cocktail ever.
    Here's what you need for a most basic kit -

- A Boston shaker. They're usually cheap, you don't need much in the way of fancyness here. Just pick a few up, find one that sits well in your hand. Some people use the glass it comes with, some people use a different pint glass. I personally also have what's called a cheater tin, which is like a smaller steel shaker that slips inside the first, and I often use that for dry-shaking ingredients, then replace it with the glass for a proper shake - but that's not really necessary, I just do it that way because I do.

- A Muddle. Also usually cheap, but pick one that's a nice, dense hardwood if you can. Any shape is fine, but something roughly baseball bat shaped is usually the best.

- A peeler and a Zester. You can do it with a knife, but zesting thin strips with a knife is well hard, and it saves time and effort.

- Three Knives: A Paring knife, a chef's knife, and a bread-knife. But you already have those in the kitchen, so no need to worry about it.

- A Jigger, Also known as a measure. I personally prefer the back-to-back style, which just looks like two steel shot-glasses welded together end to end, but it's up to you, whatever kind you like is fine. BUT, I personally recommend for you at this point to get a glass one with measurements on the side - it makes it a lot easier, when you don't have to measure odd fractions of an ounce by eye. A lot of bartenders use them, it's just a matter of preference. I have both in my kit, to be honest.

- Two tea-towels. Keep 'em clean.

- A bar-spoon. They look like This. You CAN get away with any long-handled tea-spoon, like a latte spoon, or other such things, but that's the best for the job, and they're not expensive.

- A Hawthorne Strainer. Again, find one you're comfortable with, there are a few options - two prongs, four prongs, handle, no-handle, etc. It doesn't have to cover the entire mouth of the shaker - best if it doesn't, really - but it should have a nice, tightly coiled spring.

- A Julep Strainer. It looks like a regular strainer, just small, about palm-sized. They're handy for much more than just Juleps.

- A Bar Blade. Best Bottle opener you'll ever have.

- A waiter's friend, I think Americans often call it a wine key.

- A handful of Pour spouts. Not super necessary, but very nice to have - makes it very easy to make measured pours, and without spilling.

- A cheap plastic tool-box to keep them in, just the small, foot-long by four wide by six deep kind. Or anything else you can keep them in, but those are best for if you're moving them around.

It sounds like a lot, but all in all, it should total you less than 30 bucks. Also, don't be afraid to avoid the stuff that's marketed as Pro bar gear, or whatever else, feel free to buy regular kitchen stuff, or whatever else. I mean, my kit is a hodge-podge of stuff that I've katamari'ed up over the years, or stuff that I've replaced when the old stuff broke. I think the only things I have that I've had from the beginning are my waiter's friend, and my bar blade.
    And Churba, you should make a podcast that's just you describing how to make complicated cocktails.
    I'm not sure how well that would play out. I'll think about it.
    Would you consider this weird combination a true cocktail or some strange abomination? It worked well as a shot and as a whole drink.
    Nope, that's a cocktail. A cocktail must have three simple base parts - A mixed drink with three or more ingredients, One of which must be a spirit, and one of which is usually a mixer. By the sound of it, it wouldn't be half bad, but it'd have a fair kick. I'd have to make one or two, to find out for sure.
    Pretty good Summer cocktail:
    Personally, I prefer the Bay Breeze, which is where you switch the Grapefruit for Pineapple juice, but that's just personal preference, and the Sea Breeze is a damned nice drink in the summer time.

But I have something better.

Looks like I owe y'all two recipies, I'll get to that later when I'm not so tired, and still unpacking from being away.

• There really aren't a lot of drinks that call for apple cider, but there is one that I love called the Conchord. Very simple. Take a pint glass, put in a shot of good gin, and then fill the rest up with cider. You wouldn't think that just a shot would make that big of a difference, but it does. Also, if you use hard apple cider, this drink will get you drunk real quick.
    Really? I've heard of people doing that, but I've never heard it called that - that's really interesting! Though, I've heard of a concord fizz, that's rasberry, basil, lemon, grapes, vodka, and cherry.
    It may not be the official name. Drinks can have different names in different places. That's just what we call it here in Seattle.
    It may not be the official name. Drinks can have different names in different places. That's just what we call it here in Seattle.
    I've only ever heard "Gin and cider", but I guess you're right, it's probably a regional thing. Not a cocktail, though, for reasons already explained.

• Is it possible without an anchor tag though?
    That is not the solution for fuck's sake. Use a god damned anchor tag. You're not going to remember character entities anyway so explaining those isn't going to help you at all.
  • I've had gin and pear cider referred to as a rusty mustache. Which was delicious, but did a number on me.
  • edited October 2012

• ...I think I have a shaker and strainer that was left here by George...
    Just FYI, that isn't mine. Probably Pete's if it's anyone's.
  • Churba, I ended up getting him some Jack Daniels. Pretty solid bourbon whiskey.
  • Woodford Reserve mint julep
    AHNOIDGAHSDFGNJAKFHNGIANFBKAHNGIKAJOGKJAFK:IFJGNNIKDFMKAJFKO:FJGLANFGJANDFJLGNAGJNIDFLGA
  • Considering I have no experience about mixed drinks besides the few mojitos I've had that where good, what exactly is so rage inducing about the video? Was it the bourbon?
  • The whole thing was a mess. An inferior mess.
  • I would like to know the cause of rage as well..is the sprite?? Is that too weird or something.
  • LIME DOES NOT GO IN A MINT JULEP. And Sprite, too? What the ever-loving fuck.
  • edited October 2012
    Found this via that shit show above.

Classy as fuck.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • That's probably Churba in real life.