This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Mixology

13»

Comments

• edited October 2012
    That's probably Churba in real life.
    Maybe in 30 years. He's better than I am, but also a bit too jowly. If family is any indication, if I eat right and keep up the exercise, I'll propably still be razor-arsed and sharp-jawed as I get old. I just hope I get to be as chill of an old dude as Hungry Joe.

But as you can tell, I'm finished having my rage seizure now, so let's discuss the first video, point by point:

- "It's similar to a mojito" Get. fucked. It's similar to a Mojito because you're making a mojito with burbon instead of rum and ruining both, you monster.

- No limes in a mint juelp. It fucks up the flavor.

- Not enough mint.

- No lime juice either. Also, that was not a splash, that was a half an ounce. How much fucking lime are you dumping in this shit soup?

- Muddling poorly, bruising the mint, and crushing the lime pith, which will make it bitter.

- Premix sour mix. More points off, and WAY TOO MUCH OF IT. Also completely unnecessary, considering you have half an orchard of lime in there already.

- You shake like old people fuck, just stop. You didn't even seal the shaker what is wrong with you.

- You didn't strain it at all, and spilled.

- There is water in a mint julep, and there is water in sprite. There is no sprite, however, in a mint julep. You monster.

- You shouldn't garnish with a whole stem of mint. The stems alter the flavor of the drink, and not for the better.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited October 2012
    Someone get me the recipe to this "Go Go Juice", and then add booze to it.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • Bacardi and Strawberry Fanta on the rocks isn't quite a daiquiri, but it does nicely in a pinch.

I ended up spitting a bit of it on myself while watching Dictator, because there was one funny line in that movie.
  • Everything was SO wrong. and to waste woodford on that ... abomination. Reminds me of a time I asked for a Hendricks and tonic -- the bartender put a splash of Hendricks, realized she had no tonic left, and before I could object, she filled the glass with sprite and lime juice, decided it was probably too sour and added lime syrup. *facepalm*
  • What kind of a dive bar runs out of tonic??!
  • What kind of a dive bar runs out of tonic??!
    To be fair, I requested Q tonic or fever tree. I think she was just dumb.
  • I actually refuse drinks that aren't made correctly or don't match my calls.

On the Joco boat concert in New York a while back, I ordered a Manhattan. The "bartender" looked at me for a second, and then poured me a glass of Jack Daniel's. She tried to hand it to me and asked for $14. I asked where the Vermouth was, and she said "we don't have any of that."

I refused to accept the drink and walked away without paying. She yelled at me, but couldn't leave the bar to stop me.
  • This was a charity thing, so.. I paid for and drank my weirdo-gimlet.

On the Joco boat concert in New York a while back, I ordered a Manhattan. The "bartender" looked at me for a second, and then poured me a glass of Jack Daniel's. She tried to hand it to me and asked for $14. I asked where the Vermouth was, and she said "we don't have any of that."

I refused to accept the drink and walked away without paying. She yelled at me, but couldn't leave the bar to stop me.
    This bartender just sounds like an asshole. Who says yes to making a drink when the correct ingredients aren't present, then when someone refuses to pay for what they didn't order, gets mad at them?
  • This was a charity thing, so.. I paid for and drank my weirdo-gimlet.
    Ahhh, OK. I'd let that slide.

GOOD! That's exactly what you should do. You should also clear your tab and walk the fuck out if you see someone scooping ice with a glass, that shit is just bad.

That said, I've crossed the bar to pull up a non-paying customer on more than one occasion. And I've leaped the bar to stop fights, but you've gotta be careful with that one.
  • Nobody fsking sells Angostura Orange Bitters. NOBODY.
  • edited October 2012
    Nobody fsking sells Angostura Orange Bitters. NOBODY.
    It's 15$ but here you go.
    Post edited by ninjarabbi on
  • lol, our local bir shoppe sells around twenty different types of bitters.
  • Nobody fsking sells Angostura Orange Bitters. NOBODY.
    Didn't we do this already?
    lol, our local bir shoppe sells around twenty different types of bitters.
    Well, my local bottle shop doesn't, but I know a few specialty stores around here where you can either buy off the shelf or order them from.

• edited October 2012
    lol, our local bir shoppe sells around twenty different types of bitters.
    Well, my local bottle shop doesn't, but I know a few specialty stores around here where you can either buy off the shelf or order them from.
    I just get really excited when the booze store is well stocked. Maybe a little too excited.. If only RI didn't always get poor pick of rare beers.
    Post edited by no fun girl on
  • I just get really excited when the booze store is well stocked. Maybe a little too excited.. If only RI didn't always get poor pick of rare beers.
    Who doesn't love a well stocked grog shop?
  • lol, our local bir shoppe sells around twenty different types of bitters.
    I just get really excited when the booze store is well stocked. Maybe a little too excited.. If only RI didn't always get poor pick of rare beers.
    Where do you normally shop for beer?

If you're willing to border hop over to Attleboro, MA, Yankee Spirits has an excellent selection of beers from all over the world. Actually, they're pretty well stocked with everything, but what do you expect with a liquor store the size of a supermarket? (The building it's in used to belong to the now-defunct Almacs supermarket chain).
  • edited October 2012

If you're willing to border hop over to Attleboro, MA, Yankee Spirits has an excellent selection of beers from all over the world. Actually, they're pretty well stocked with everything, but what do you expect with a liquor store the size of a supermarket? (The building it's in used to belong to the now-defunct Almacs supermarket chain).
    I remember going to Yankee Spirits once.. I usually go to Bottles, which is a new place that popped up, Maderia, and East Side Prescription for wine. When we go hiking in NH, we just buy there.
    Post edited by no fun girl on
  • Everyone in New England buys booze when they go to NH. :)
    Of course, it's illegal to transport that across state lines - but I doubt that's enforced often.

Of course, it's illegal to transport that across state lines - but I doubt that's enforced often.
    True, it's not enforced. Actually, back in the 1970's, Masschusetts tried to enforce the law by sending agents into New Hampshire to document cars with MA plates trying to buy booze. New Hampshire responded by arresting and detaining the Massachusetts agents.

Hell, fireworks are illegal in Massachusetts too, but that doesn't stop New Hampshire-based businesses from sending out mailings to MA residents and even erecting billboards advertising fireworks sales on the Massachusetts side of the border.

New Hampshire is pretty brazen about its attempts to attract, legal or otherwise, business from outside the state to take advantage of its tax-free shopping.
  • This thread suddenly became more of my interest since I'm stocking a small bar at my apartment apparently.
  • I'm back into the mixology after rewatching Bartender, enjoying cocktails on New Years, and helping my girlfriend construct cocktails. Black Velvets are some of the nicest drinks you can have during New Years. There's even a Bartender episode all about them and an Xmas episode to boot!

So I've had various thoughts on trying to mix cocktails again.

-I've heard a great amount about the quality of Luxardo cherries. Has anyone used or tasted them with cocktails?

-Is there a term of a shot of whiskey in a hard apple cider? I know the boilermarker and snakebite, but there should be a term for whiskey in cider...

-A local cocktail/whiskey bar offers to do "smoked rimmed glasses" where he contains cherrywood smoke in a glass before pouring whiskey inside of it. Has anyone tried it?

-What are some good cocktails using tea? Unsurprisingly, sweet tea works wonderfully with limoncello but makes for a tasty highball with gin. I don't have faith in using sweet tea vodka (unless maybe if I were to do my own infusion). Need to find Shochu to make an Oolong Chūhai.

-I've noticed quite a few craft breweries are getting more into the spirits game: New Holland, Dogfish Head, Ballast Point to name a few. Curious to see how many of them are good and/or if there are any cocktails you could make with specific craft beers only. (Even under the same style, beers can so vary from place to place based on water, ABV, hop percentage, grain bill, etc)
  • edited January 2016
    - Yes. Good maraschinos are pretty important, and while I can't say I'm a huge fan of maraschino cherries, of all the ones I've had they rate pretty high.

- Not that I can recall off the top of my head, but if you use Cinnamon whiskey and stir/garnish with a cinnamon stick, you have a Chester Cider. Ounce half of irish whiskey, two ounces maraschino cherry juice, four or five or cider, and you've got a Bloody Mick.

- Not smoke rimmed, but I have tried a few where you pump smoke into a bottle, add the cocktail, and either gently flip or shake it depending on the drink to infuse it. It's alright, I'm still kind of either way, it's something I need to experiment with an investigate more.

- Sure. Green Tea Mojitos, Leland Palmer, an earl grey, Dragoons punch, Christmas punch, Torii Toddy, and the classic Tea hot toddy.

- Dunno sorry. They don't make it out here at any great speed, so I'm yet to have enough to make an assessment.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I'll need to research these Green Tea Mojitos and such. Not to mention researching the type of tea necessary. I'm already wondering what alcohol would be best Chai Tea/Chai Spices.

I forget how the Craft Beer Industry is outside of the biggest locations. (USA, Germany, Belgium, UK) But now that I think about it, craft beer cocktails have a decent list if you extend to Lambic/Gueuze territory. The place I was at also offered Liefmans Fruitesse (Lambic) with Champagne or Blackberry-Pear Cider.

The thought of craft beer-specific cocktails came to me drinking the Black Velvet on New Years. You can use pretty much any dry champagne, but the Guinness is a necessity due to the creamy mouthfeel, low ABV, and frothy head. The challenge would be finding a spirit to match with bitter IPAs.
  • So I and a friend were experimenting around with some mixology and we've come up with something in celebration of Fallout 4:
    Commonwealth Nuke
    1 Bottle Hard Apple Cider (we used Strongbow)
    1 Shot Cinnamon Schnapps
    Bomb the shot of schnapps into the glass of hard apple cider, and consume.