This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Show Ideas and Reminders

Comments

• I'd like to hear your opinions on Magic the Gathering. I vaguely remember you guys mentioning it in a podcast, almost definitely disparagingly but still... Have either of you ever gone through MTG phases in your younger days or are there specific reasons you don't play? (money is an obvious one)
  • I'd like to hear your opinions on Magic the Gathering. I vaguely remember you guys mentioning it in a podcast, almost definitely disparagingly but still... Have either of you ever gone through MTG phases in your younger days or are there specific reasons you don't play? (money is an obvious one)

As far as I know, they played back in the old days (like almost every other even slightly geeky male in America) but stopped playing when it became clear that the game was essentially "whoever can buy the best cards wins".  (Of course, those problems don't really exist so much anymore - it's more a combination of money, skill, and time, with money being the least important of those things.  Being good at draft is only dependent on money inasmuch as it costs money to draft - but this is all just my opinion...)
    The reason I remember so well is because I do play magic, so I remember when they mention it.
  • Magazines they like
    I haven't read a magazine in almost a decade...
  • Here's two different theme ideas, both sorta would require some amount of planning. However it works well together as they are both related.

Idea #1) Rym and Scott's Parent's and there memory from a parent's perspective on each related geekiery. Basically a Q & A of their parents relating to how Scott and Rym were when they were kids.

Idea #2) This one is a bit more of a reminder. You had mentioned at one point you were going to do a "Parent's Guide to..." on each geekiery. I think this would be a great follow up theme week to the first idea. SO we get the background from the parents, and then the ideas for future (or current) generations.
  • edited September 2007
    I really enjoyed the Fantasy Cellphone episode. Why not make "Fantasy " a series, just like the "How not to suck at " or "How Works" episodes. It seems like an easy episode for a day when there's you have no other ideas, and there are endless possibilities, including:
    Fantasy FPS
    Fantasy Board Game
    Fantasy Game Console
    Fantasy Wii Game
    Fantasy Anime
    Fantasy Utopia (You guys do complain about the government quite a lot)
    Fantasy School System (Same about education)
    Fantasy Job

Also, the thunderdome episode was hilarious. Do another one some time, or maybe even invite guests (Dave and Joel?) for an all out, nerdtacular royal rumble.
    Post edited by Schnevets on
  • Also, Burning Wheel episode as soon as possible, please.
  • Drugs.

I work in a crappy pizza place and I'm the only one there who still thinks drugs are a bad idea. It's hard for me to even voice my opinion because literally everyone there does them and it becomes me versus everyone. They instantly start spewing this propaganda/justification about it; it makes me think I'm in the twilight zone. One day they scoff at the idea that marijuana is a "gateway drug," the next they are all going out to the forest to do 'shrooms. One of them is currently serving a 10-day jail sentence. He took the rap for the cops busting one of their trips and yet, their behavior has not changed at all since.

Personally, it's just not me, you know? I don't smoke or drink, either. This blows their minds. At 23, I'm the oldest guy there and I'm not out buying alcohol every weekend, what's wrong with me?!

I guess what I'm looking for are perhaps stories of your guys' run-ins with drug-users, maybe some ammo to use the next time they start egging me on to come out back and smoke a blunt. Or should I just tolerate it until I get a better job?
  • Who the fuck cares what they do? If they aren't bothering you actively by using drugs next to you, why are you making a big deal about it?
  • How about a review of the card game San Juan? It is a great game, plays a four person game quickly and doesn't feel like light weight filler.

There is also a computer version. You need to change the spellings of a couple of buildings to get everything working, but it is still a good time versus the computer.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/8217
  • edited September 2007
    Who the fuck cares what they do? If they aren't bothering you actively by using drugs next to you, why are you making a big deal about it?
    They are using in the middle of shifts and they often make experimental bongs/blunts instead of working. Even on days they aren't scheduled, they come up to the store just to get high because of how lax management is. So yeah, it kind of is a big deal to me.
    Post edited by MajinMetroid on

• They are using in the middle of shifts and they often make experimental bongs/blunts instead of working. So yeah, it kind of is a big deal to me.
    Perhaps look for a new job? Obviously if it's bothering you that much, either report it to your boss or maybe even their boss. If you don't want to work with people like that, either get a job or get rid of them.
  • How about a review of the card game San Juan?
    Fun idea, but essentially broken.  Most of the buildings are a useless waste of resources, and the efficient paths to victory are few.
  • They are using in the middle of shifts and they often make experimental bongs/blunts instead of working. Even on days they aren't scheduled, they come up to the store just to get high because of how lax management is. So yeah, it kind of is a big deal to me.
    Then just quit.  Or, call the police.  Until you do either, the ball is in your court, and you really can't complain.
  • I submit that most of these already exist. ^_~
    Fantasy FPS
    Tribes II, still playable.
    Fantasy Board Game
    Tigris and Euphrates
    Fantasy Game Console
    The Wii if myself, Scott, and Alex had a dev kit.
    Fantasy Wii Game
    German board games with wifi. Advance Wars with wifi.  Quest for Glory.
    Fantasy Anime
    Cowboy Bebop
    Fantasy Job
    GeekNights
  • You really can't think of any way to improve on those things? 
  • edited September 2007
    Ohhh... fanatsy things... from your childhood!

Oh, maybe any weird or awesome arcade games you've seen.
    Post edited by JukeBoxJosh on
  • You guys know how the thing of the day is always some awesome thing. Well for a Thursday show why not talk about all the stuff people should/shouldn't of seen online.

In other words a bunch of things of the day/month/year.
  • I was listening to the episode on air hockey, and I noted that you called it a "sport." Personally, I don't consider it a sport, and I'm sure other people have different views on it also. I'm not, however, in any way criticizing the game, I just think its a game, and not a sport. This brings me to an idea for an episode you could do about sports. I'd love to hear you guys discuss what you think makes an activity a "sport." Is bowling a sport? How about track and field? Or gymnastics, racing, hopscotch, marbles, ping-pong, golf, fencing, martial arts, poker (well, it is on ESPN...), etc. What qualities do you think is required for something to be considered a sport? I think this would be a great Thursday topic, as I've noted that you guys don't have too many ideas for that day.

While I'm here, I might as well suggest a second show idea I would love to listen. Since I started listening to GN, I've been introduced to websites such as DIGG, 4Chan, and slashdot among others. It would be great if you guys talked about websites that all geeks/people should at least know about. I imagine this would be great insight to many listeners that aren't as acquainted with various "important" net sites.
  • I was listening to the episode on air hockey, and I noted that you called it a "sport." Personally, I don't consider it a sport, and I'm sure other people have different views on it also. I'm not, however, in any way criticizing the game, I just think its a game, and not a sport. This brings me to an idea for an episode you could do about sports. I'd love to hear you guys discuss what you think makes an activity a "sport." Is bowling a sport? How about track and field? Or gymnastics, racing, hopscotch, marbles, ping-pong, golf, fencing, martial arts, poker (well, it is on ESPN...), etc. What qualities do you think is required for something to be considered a sport? I think this would be a great Thursday topic, as I've noted that you guys don't have too many ideas for that day.
    This is the logical fallacy of "no true Scotsman". According to the definition of sport, these things are sports.
    1. An athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.
    Air Hockey is clearly an athletic activity requiring physical prowess of a competitive nature. End of story.
  • Thursday show: Jobs! Looking for a job. Starting a new job. Ending an old job. When to look for a new job. Work/life balance (a cheesy phrase but I know Scott really 'values' his time). Also, if you could do this quickly that'd be awesome. ^-~
  • Email/Gmail! How do you use/set-up Gmail? How not to suck at email?
  • I second the motion for a topic on looking for a job!
    Wasn't it already covered? However, maybe you were talking about going more in-depth?
  • From the 9/10/07 show: Document File Formats, or File Formats in general
    Sounds like a special.
    Wasn't it alreadycovered? However, maybe you were talking about going more in-depth?
    Eww, my bad for jumping on comicenema's bandwagon before researching... Now that I know it's out there, I will take a listen.
  • I swear I searched for "Jobs" and didn't see that. I even listened to that episode so I'll have to listen again. Oops.
  • Not sure if this should be in the show reminder/suggestions or if it will spark enough discussion to warrant its own thread, but I'll post it here first anyway.

A Thursday idea that would take allot of planing, but could also have allot of potential, would be the formation of a "geek" political party. One of those smaller parties that can't have their own candidates, but instead supports certain candidates in other parties based on ideology. I came up with this off an idea I kept having whenever some politician (Republican, Democrat or even the few independents) did something stupid when it came to a technology issue that that have no idea on. From what I've seen, most political candidates tend to have very weak understanding, or in some cases completely no understanding, on current technological issues.

Some ideas on this: This party would not take a stance on non-geek issues (abortion, immigration, etc) but instead would reinforce smart geek decisions on technology issues (open source for government documents, DRM issues, correct copyrights for digital information, etc). There could be some sort of online site about different issues that are currently up for vote. This would involve an online poll and forum (one for each voting section, so this way the representatives will know how geeks in their area actually feel and therefore can directly interact with them). Basically a official way for us geeks to show our support based on technological ideas in a way that they (hopefully) can understand us - politically. There are lobbyist for different technology groups and companies, but no actual political party (at least not that I'm aware of in America). I've thought allot about this, including more detailed ways to make the website help candidates understand their constituents views on different technology issues that are coming up for vote. The big thing I kept come to while thinking about this was to stay clear of non-technology issues, as those are hotbeds that even us geeks argue about (as the flame-wars on this forum very well demonstrate). However on technology issues, and issues that stem from them, geeks typically all agree in a common direction.

This might be something to do this year in a more broad sense, and as the American vote gets closer next year to do a couple of pod-casts about each of the major candidates and their technological views about specific issues. For instance one show on DRM and each of the candidates views on it. For all non-American viewers, you could announce each upcoming political debate show and have our cohort geeks around the world send in info about their tech savvy/ignorant political members. Could be interesting to see trends across the world on different techno-political issues.

Some different techno-political shows to have:
    Digital Rights/DRM
    Open Source
    Technology copyrights/patent
    Electronic voting
    Distribution of Information

Having information about political candidates regarding different technological issues can help geeks better understand who to vote for. It's possible, that given enough exposure, other technological pod-casters might even join in and the concept could receive some substantial attention.

And come on... you know you just want to be able to go into vote and choose a major candidates name under: GeekNights
    Look up the episode on Professionalism
  • How not to suck at fanfiction. Or talk about how fanfiction usually sucks.