This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Front Row Crew Forum Potential Creative Project (aka Project Shittalk)

GeoGeo
edited February 2013 in Forum Game
I think this needed its own thread from the extensive conversation carried on in the Random Comments Thread.

For reference: http://forum.frontrowcrew.com/index.php?p=/discussion/7591/random-comments#Item_11090

Post edited by Geo on

Comments

• So what is this bastard of art and science going to be? A game? An animation? Interactive visual novel? What?
  • GeoGeo
    edited February 2013
    So what is this bastard of art and science going to be? A game? An animation? Interactive visual novel? What?
    I'm for making it a piece of visual media. However I bear no ill will if such is not the case and will be willing to lend my skills if necessary.

Post edited by Geo on
  • So what is this bastard of art and science going to be? A game? An animation? Interactive visual novel? What?
    Well, considering the relative distance between everybody, and the difference in equipment, I'd say that film is right out. I believe a cartoon was suggested, which is honestly a pretty good idea. Certainly doable.
  • edited February 2013
    Well, here's a list of skill I can lend to the project:
    • Voice acting
    • Foley
    • Editing (both audio and video)
    • Audio cleanup and post processing
    I would have added "music" in there, but I happily yield to those on the forum more capable than I.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • GeoGeo
    edited February 2013
    So what is this bastard of art and science going to be? A game? An animation? Interactive visual novel? What?
    Well, considering the relative distance between everybody, and the difference in equipment, I'd say that film is right out. I believe a cartoon was suggested, which is honestly a pretty good idea. Certainly doable.
    Should it come down to being an animation of some kind, I think the person who would benefit us the most is Emily. However, I doubt she'd be able to join in because she is a very busy lady. I could be wrong, but I am sure the chances of her being a part of this are very slim.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • GeoGeo
    edited February 2013
    My skills lie in the following...
    • Film Editing
    • Story Conceptualization & Development
    • Screen/teleplay writing
    • Voice acting (probably as an extra or supporting character)
    Post edited by Geo on
  • edited February 2013
    Once I read all the praise, my brain started percolating ideas for the space pirate vs. space marine cartoon. Full disclosure, I have never actually watched One Piece (I've been meaning to read the manga for, like, 5 years now). Also, I just finished reading Assimov's Foundation. Without further ado, here's my formal pitch:

The Galactic Empire has ruled over all of space through a combination of brute force and technological prowess for millennia. However, life has changed remarkably within the past century due to the leaking of the nucleo-hyper warp engine. Suddenly, the Emperor's best kept secret, a power that allowed him to dispatch battleships at near instant speeds without time distortion can be purchased by anyone brave or foolish enough to ask around. A new era of communication, culture, and grey-market trade has overcome the galaxy. For the first time in centuries, an event has disrupted the authority of the autonomous government.

More full disclosure: I interpreted the tone as a humorous, somewhat kiddish show. Sorry to disappoint anyone expecting a gritty, action packed Space Marine vs. Space Pirate romp. Totally feel free to ditch this part of the pitch:
    Precocious Orphan Newcomer spent his whole life on a harsh wasteland planet, living a dull and unassuming life working on the farm equipment at his uncle's electrolyte farm. Suddenly, new traders started appearing on the planet, and they were friendlier, cooler, and stranger than any of the stuffy empire merchants that would visit once every cycle. They started telling stories about far off lands, and PON knew he needed to find a way onto one of these vessels. Unfortunately, no one would ever pick up a PON who hasn't even adjusted to zero gravity, let alone seen the inside of a ship, until one day...

The FTL Retail Corporation suffered a grievous loss due to sheer negligence. A short circuited wire/accidental fat fingering/criminal act(!?!) caused an unexpected space pod to eject. In it, contained one of the most vital members: a chimp that they trained to clean the ventilation shafts and other hard to reach places. They needed a new cabin-boy, and the price of chimps had just skyrocketed. After a series of sitcomy twists that involves PON successfully fixing the nucleo-hyper warp engine with a well timed whack of a wrench, he finds a new job aboard the pirate's flagship as the new grunt laborer.

In my head, I'd compare PON to Charlie from Always Sunny in Philadelphia. He's energetic, he's aware he has the short end of the stick, but he also knows not to act up. He fancies himself an engineer, constantly reworking wires and dispatching mechanic words that he doesn't understand, but he has an invaluable luck that makes him indispensable.

Also, many of the extras on the crew would be snarky robotic members that are indestructible. Whenever they need to repair themselves (or just at the start of the episode), they tend to switch parts, so that the violent psychopath suddenly has the maid equipment, and the Spock-like logician has six blasters.

As for the Space Marines, I envision a Zenigata-like figure who I have christened Inspektor Hektor. Yes, he has a German accent and monocle. He has an infinite number of marine grunts at his disposal, as well as a closer cabinet of absolute badasses, most of whom are parodies of well known characters.

Oh, and yes, the state of the galaxy is supposed to represent the modern day internet, with the pirates acting as explorers and committing borderline illegal activities, while the marines are the powers trying to restrain the spreading of ideas (RIAA, guv'ments, etc.). The pirates may even explore planets with cultural structures clearly based on certain dwellings of the internet, from the most corporate ad-filled IGN to the annoyingly "democratic" Reddit.

Hate it, love it, don't even acknowledge its existence, I don't mind. Figured I'd try throwing my pitch on the table.
    Post edited by Schnevets on
  • For good measure, I'll repost my pitch that I made earlier this evening.
    Everybody, throw any ideas you have out there. The hardest part for me is starting, but once I do I will actually write something.
    I have had an idea that I've been toying with for a little while, I don't know if it will suit the needs of what we want to go for, but I'll give it a shot.

I've had this idea of doing a noir story wherein the main character is a private investigator...except that he has schizophrenia and is subject to lucid dreaming and hallucinations on a regular basis. Somehow, he uses these mental deficiencies to his advantage as they somehow give him insight to things that would be unfathomable or impossible to see to anyone who was of sound mind. Fittingly enough, he is named Nemo McKay (bonus points if you can guess the reference). He isn't the best investigator and oftentimes, during a case, his methods are questionable; both ethically and legally. He oftentimes gets around these snafus that would otherwise land anyone else in his career in deep shit thanks to a very close friend who is Captain of the police force in the city of Ivy City: known as Graham Lang (and the police force is known as, appropriately enough, the Ivy Squad).

The world he lives in is an alternate history that diverges with President Truman deciding against dropping the two bombs on either Hiroshima or Nagasaki...and the Japanese just never quit...so there is a continuing war with them and neither side wants to give an inch to the other. I'd have more, but this is still the area I'm thinking about the most and is very rough and underdeveloped as a result.

The main concept that is active, both aesthetically and storytelling-wise is ambiguity. Constantly throughout the story, you will see things that will really unnerve you and/or give you the feeling that something is very off (e.g. furniture rearranging itself with no explanation; either subtly or glaringly, . However, the question you'll always be asking is whether or not the strange things that you witness is due to Nemo's mental deficiencies or if there is something sinister or weird going on that you are not privy to. Also, the city itself is like a third character of the story itself (the first two being Nemo and Graham) in that you get the feeling that it has sentience because of how many hidden layers there are to the city and that if you strip away one layer, you've introduced the entire possibility of there being many more after it.

As for an actual storyline, I'm still fleshing the world out more and more, yet I designed it to where many different kinds of stories could possibly be told. If any of you have any ideas for a story, I'd like to see them so we can work on it together.

Tell me what you guys think about it.
  • Let me throw my abilities and my restrictions into this thread.

Things I can do
    - Draw the pictures
    - Animate
    - 3d Model
    - Write
    - Design, especially mechanical things

Things I Can't Do
    - Devote lots and lots of time to this project

Seriously! I'm editing a book, writing two more, making a video game, working a job, making a comic book, and occasionally even sleeping! I really want to help on this, but your access to my free time will be spotty at best. So whatever you come up with has to be concrete or I won't be able to do much.
  • I'd like to see something short-form happen, like a 2-3 minute gag cartoon, which seems more realistic at this stage than a sprawling epic.
  • I'd like to see something short-form happen, like a 2-3 minute gag cartoon, which seems more realistic at this stage than a sprawling epic.
    I rather agree. Hell, we'd even have a better chance at a series of them, rather than a sprawling epic. Let's aim for something we can actually get out the door, before we start getting too ambitious.
  • A series is a good long-term goal. Something dumb and funny with each episode standing on its own.

Things I can do: write....that's kinda it.
  • I would like the epic, but the series does seem more doable. But I think setting it in a universe like the one mentioned could give us a consistent tone and leave us with he option to get more episodic and serious if we like the characters and setting we create.
  • Short-form should definitely be the goal. I foresee the toughest bottleneck being animation since it's more labor-intensive than writing or audio. If we have artists who are up for animating a simple 3-5 minute show then we can go ahead with the cartoon. If not, how do we feel about an audio drama?
  • What can get started with one sentence? This. O-O

Anyway, I'm in! I can do comics, digital art, logo making and have experience doing those things for clients as well. I have a small skill set in video editing in Sony Vegas and currently learning green screen techniques since, I just got new lighting and a green screen. ^_^ I am not very skilled in animation, I just know the most basic of stuff from taking it years ago.

I don't have a job currently so I have a valuable resource at the moment. Time.

I would like to do something visual. If not animation, but a short film.
    Short-form should definitely be the goal. I foresee the toughest bottleneck being animation since it's more labor-intensive than writing or audio. If we have artists who are up for animating a simple 3-5 minute show then we can go ahead with the cartoon. If not, how do we feel about an audio drama?
    Doable, but then everyone involved with that better have a good mic.

I'm tempted to call this creative forum motley crew Studio shittalk. :P
  • edited February 2013
    The internet likes semi-autobiographical media. Look at Johnny Wander, Wasted Talent, and the Domics videos. So here's my proposal:

We all write 2-3 page short stories based on our experiences as geeks. Based on my experience writing in screenwriting classes, this comes out to about 2 minutes of media. All of the stories will be put into a shared folder on Google Drive with a number from 0 to however high it goes assigned to it. Then we have a random number generator pick a number within that range.
    We read it and vote on three factors: if it CAN be produced; if it should be an animation, an audio drama, or a comic; and if we should do it now.

If it is voted on that it can't be produced, then it gets cleaned up and posted somewhere for all to read as a short story with maybe a single illustration. End of Line. If it passes that stage, then we move on.

Based on the votes of what kind of media it should be, the story then is tagged as such.

Finally, If it's voted that it should be done now, then whoever thinks they have time to work on it will sign their name on the top of the story along with what they plan on doing for it. Whoever originally wrote the story will be the lead and in charge of delegating the work.

We work on, at most, two stories at a time. This ensures that something actually gets done. If anyone want's to work on a story independently, that's up to them but if they have committed to a project then that should be the priority.

My suggestion is that we start simple with story board style videos: Audio drama sound mixed with illustration. Once we get some momentum, then we bump up to full animation.

What do you folks think?

Also, if we don't want to keep this entirely in-house, I know many of the big MLP fandom voice actresses/actors.
  • I like that idea, Frost!

The way you describe it makes it seem like we can actually work on multiples if we wanted to. Of course I suggest starting with one.

I think 2-3 pages would be a lot. People like comedic bite sized things online. At the most 2-3 minutes which is roughly a page or page and a half.

Also, another suggested idea: In the vein of Victor's idea, why just just stories about the more hilarious moments from the forum. The ones not too inside baseball.
  • I like this idea, sharing personal stories. I'd be up for helping in this, though I'm not very useful for things besides games and writing.
  • edited February 2013
    I like that idea, Frost!

The way you describe it makes it seem like we can actually work on multiples if we wanted to. Of course I suggest starting with one.
    Yes. Certainly.
    I think 2-3 pages would be a lot. People like comedic bite sized things online. At the most 2-3 minutes which is roughly a page or page and a half.
    Oh, yeah. Sorry, I was thinking in script layout. Yeah, a page and a half.
    I like this idea, sharing personal stories. I'd be up for helping in this, though I'm not very useful for things besides games and writing.
    Then write!
  • Dramatic costumed reading of forum conversations, go.
  • I have no creative skills. However I can write (just not with reliable grammar and spelling :-p) I did write a successful webcomic about Anime Geeks www.dubthis.net before.
  • Dramatic costumed reading of forum conversations, go.
    THIS!
  • For accuracy on your Axel costume, just add skinniness.
  • GeoGeo
    edited February 2013
    I don't think making this work based on stuff that happens in the forums is a very good idea. Any way you slice it, it will be nothing but inside baseball to everyone except the forumites and doesn't lend itself to accessibility. Part of what makes Johnny Wander and similar works so great is that they are based on personal experiences, but ones that anybody can relate to. Something as insular as a forum community, I don't think, is not conducive to good storytelling.

I'm for the personal experiences in life idea.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Just think, you can watch a video of someone pretending to be Geo making that exact argument!
  • GeoGeo
    edited February 2013
    Just think, you can watch a video of someone pretending to be Geo making that exact argument!
    I'm afraid at least half of it will be of me being a failasaurus rex :P

The other half will be "The Best of Nine". His representation will be a humanoid figure covered in question marks.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Aaaaaanyway... Shall I setup the google drive folder?