This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Boston Marathon Attack

Comments

• I don't think anyone is trying to say "It's not the worst it can be, therefore it's not bad." I think they are trying to say is "Look at how upset you are over this bad thing. As bad as that is, this other thing is 100 times worse. How you can aren't 100 times as upset over that other thing?" I don't really agree with either.
    Exactly. It's not that we shouldn't be sad that things suck, it's that we should keep them in perspective. I wasn't posting that picture because I agree %100, but rather to keep everyone freak out in check.
    I don't think anyone here was freaking out to any unwarranted extent. It's been mostly, "Man, those guys are assholes, and I hope they get what they deserve."

A far cry from "our living conditions are terrible, our society is broken and corrupt, and somebody needs to overthrow our government!"

• ATTENTION: Boston Comic Con has been cancelled. We will try to reschedule for a later date. Thank you for your support & understanding.

— Boston Comic Con (@BostonComicCon) April 19, 2013
  • I saw reports that the Hynes instituted a mandatory bag check for BCC after the bombings (but ahead of the cancellation).

I hope either that's not true, or that the Hynes doesn't do something similar for AB.
  • huh this would be a disaster for any organization, wonder if Insurance covers the expenses for something like this?
  • Well, since the Comic Con starts tomorrow and Boston is still on lockdown, they kind of had to cancel. I doubt this will go on long enough to affect Anime Boston!
  • RymRym
    edited April 2013
    Well, since the Comic Con starts tomorrow and Boston is still on lockdown, they kind of had to cancel. I doubt this will go on long enough to affect Anime Boston!
    Agreed, but I worry about the Hynes instituting draconian measures like mandatory bag checks or security screenings. I'm not much willing to put up with something like that.

I doubt they will, but after what I read about BCC's bag policy, I have a small worry.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • huh this would be a disaster for any organization, wonder if Insurance covers the expenses for something like this?
    I think it does... usually it's for things like weather and natural disasters, but general "unforeseen site unavailability" should be covered as well.
    Well, since the Comic Con starts tomorrow and Boston is still on lockdown, they kind of had to cancel. I doubt this will go on long enough to affect Anime Boston!
    Agreed, but I worry about the Hynes instituting draconian measures like mandatory bag checks or security screenings. I'm not much willing to put up with something like that.

I doubt they will, but after what I read about BCC's bag policy, I have a small worry.
    Trust me, you're not the only one.
  • Well, since the Comic Con starts tomorrow and Boston is still on lockdown, they kind of had to cancel. I doubt this will go on long enough to affect Anime Boston!
    yup. I've heard from a friend who was going to exhibit there that lockdown (of course) prevented everybody from getting their stuff to the loading dock. Also, well, we dunno when lockdown will end.
  • Suspect in custody.
  • Alive, bloody, and taken out of a boat in Watertown. 2.5 miles from my house.
  • Boston police on Twitter are claiming that "Justice has won." Because the trial happened already, apparently.
  • edited April 2013
    Because "brought to justice" is commonly used to refer to arrest. Or, possibly, because they have literally brought him into the justice system.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • Pretty sure it's because they took him alive.
  • Pretty sure he's not making it to trial.
  • Pretty sure he's not making it to trial.
    Why do you say that?
  • He didn't "suicide" by cop, so he's going to "suicide" some other way, unless the FBI handles his custody every step of the way. If he is held in a prison, I'd bet that he'll be in isolation (for his own protection). Federal Supermax facility, or some such, where they can monitor him every second of every day.
  • edited April 2013
    *brain fart*
    Post edited by Dr. Timo on
  • That's hilarious.
  • Hardly. If he wanted to suicide by cop, he would have done so with his brother the other night. I'm willing to bet he's not a true believer and thus is not willing to die a martyr for his cause (whatever it may be).
  • *brain fart*
    This was not in response to any previous comment but put in as a placeholder for a comment of my own which upon subsequent googling turned out to be inapplicable to the current discussion.
  • I'd like to request that society retire the "Hide and Seek World Champion" joke. They did it for Bin Laden, they did it for Saddam, they're doing it for Dzukhar, but none of them have shit on Eichman --and I'm pretty sure there's people who did even better than him that I don't know about.
  • A family friend's house was basically run through by the SWAT team during the man hunt. I hope he offered them beers on their way out.
  • Pretty sure it's because they took him alive.
    That's my favorite answer so far.

• Dzhokhar Tsarnaev has been charged with using a WMD. I didn't realize such small IEDs qualified for the WMD designation. How then could we really have been arguing about whether Iraq had any?
  • It is a weapon of mass destruction in that it is a weapon that destroys mass. By more conventional measures, however, it's stupid.
  • It is a weapon of mass destruction in that it is a weapon that destroys mass. By more conventional measures, however, it's stupid.
    A weapon that violates conservation of mass? Damn.

• edited April 2013

A weapon that violates conservation of mass? Damn.
    Oh? Granted, it was built by a ruthless, terrorist organization determined to rule the world.
    Post edited by Dragonmaster Lou on
  • @Lou: I can fly higher than an eagle because you are the wind beneath my wings.
  • Dzhokhar Tsarnaev has been charged with using a WMD.
    Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

If that's a WMD, so is a fucking assault rifle. Or the Texas fertilizer plant. Holy shit, why are we so stupid?
  • Dzhokhar Tsarnaev has been charged with using a WMD.
    Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

If that's a WMD, so is a fucking assault rifle. Or the Texas fertilizer plant. Holy shit, why are we so stupid?
    Turns out the colloquial definition of WMDs is waaaaay different than the FBI's definition. It seems to me that (A) is probably the relevant definition, though I didn't look up section 921.
    “(A) any destructive device as defined in section 921 of this title (i.e. explosive device);
    (B) any weapon that is designed or intended to cause death or serious bodily injury through the release, dissemination, or impact of toxic or poisonous chemicals, or their precursors;
    (C) any weapon involving a biological agent, toxin, or vector (as those terms are defined in section 178 of this title)(D) any weapon that is designed to release radiation or radioactivity at a level dangerous to human life.”

WMD is often referred to by the collection of modalities that make up the set of weapons: chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear, and explosive (CBRNE). These are weapons that have a relatively large-scale impact on people, property, and/or infrastructure.
    Wired has a piece on the topic.