This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Boston Marathon Attack

12346»

Comments

• Except when they use it to justify the death penalty, which certainly relies on the colloquial definition for seeming rational.
  • edited April 2013
    Yeah, the term WMD is just plain tainted in people's minds, as we're thinking about nukes, but the true legal definition is much much broader. Truthfully, when you injure almost 200 people, that is some pretty wide-spread harm right there, so I'm totally cool with some elevated charge beyond the typical assault/murder. If WMD is the charge available, fine by me.

There was a piece on Time yesterday that explained how the WMD charges also have some fine print if you dig down, where the death penalty is only available for more "serious" WMDs, not the broad definition that includes grenades, rockets, small bombs, etc.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • So cruise missiles and howitzers/mortars are WMDs now???
  • So cruise missiles and howitzers/mortars are WMDs now???
    It all depends on context (and ignoring the fact that cruise missiles and howitzers can be used to launch chemical, biological, and even nuclear weapons).

In military/international diplomacy usage, only chemical, biological, and nuclear weapons can be considered weapons of mass destruction. However, civilian law's definition is apparently any weapon that can kill or maim multiple individuals simultaneously can be considered a weapon of mass destruction. Obviously, military WMDs would be a subset of civilian WMDs.

I'm okay with the idea that certain weapons that are acceptable for military use are not acceptable for civilian use, provided there is proper oversight/training/etc. for the military. Also keep in mind that we're talking about legalese here, and many words don't have quite the same meaning in legalese that they have in plain English.
  • edited April 2013
    1:30 I love this woman.
    10:23 This: the world is a very simple place, America is invulnerable to attack (except by its own government), unlike all those other nations/human-units of all time.
    12:18 LOL Clearly the Catholic church was run by muslims until very recently. Even the god of the old testament was Islamic.
    Post edited by no fun girl on
  • edited April 2013
    My coworker thinks this is all a hoax and that it's set up by the government. I don't even know what to say.

Both coworkers now. They are wondering why the media/officials haven't released the name of the child that died, or the name of the injured.

The tin foil hats are on them.

Ugh.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • edited April 2013
    Gee I don't know, maybe to protect someone's privacy, because I know when my child dies I want to have the press all over me while I'm feeling the worst. Fucking people.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Now she's touting that NPR is ran by Jews and how they aren't a credible news source.
  • Abort Ro, ABORT!
  • edited April 2013
    Both coworkers now. They are wondering why the media/officials haven't released the name of the child that died, or the name of the injured.
    What? They released both of those things. Deaths: The boy was Martin Richard, and the women were Krystle Campbell and Lu Lingzi. Injured are too many to list in one place, but some are there. The families have released statements. So not only are they crazy, they are also just wrong.

Post edited by Nuri on
  • Don't they work FOR the government. That should be grounds for termination.
  • Apparently someone who had been falsely claimed to be one of the bombers on Reddit but wasn't has turned up dead.

This is why "hacktivism" is a long way from being a legitimate thing.
    There is no evidence connecting his death to Reddit.

It's possible, no doubt. But don't jump the gun here.

• There's no evidence, no, but even still, the fact that he was falsely accused like that to begin with had caused the family grief even before this.

I also didn't connect it. I simply noted a fact (Reddit falsely claimed him to be a bomber) and another fact (he turned up dead).
  • Ok. Ok. I wasn't listening to them as much, but their main concern is why they were concentrating more on the two teens who performed the bombings than on the victims because they are Muslim.

They were comparing it to Sandy Hook and Colorado and how they concentrated more on the victims and not so much on the shooters.

I told them, they should stop watch the major news media outlets.

However, my tin foil hat coworker doesn't believe that 30 million Jews died in the Holocaust. She believes a good number did, but 30 million was impossible.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeahhhhhhhhhh.
  • Ok. Ok. I wasn't listening to them as much, but their main concern is why they were concentrating more on the two teens who performed the bombings than on the victims because they are Muslim.

They were comparing it to Sandy Hook and Colorado and how they concentrated more on the victims and not so much on the shooters.

I told them, they should stop watch the major news media outlets.

However, my tin foil hat coworker doesn't believe that 30 million Jews died in the Holocaust. She believes a good number did, but 30 million was impossible.

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeahhhhhhhhhh.
    Well, that's because only 6 million Jews died in the Holocaust, out of a total of 9-10 million so-called "undesirables." That 30 million number is more akin to how many died in Stalin's purges, but even then, most estimates I heard put that number at around 20 million.
  • There was a huge focus put on the suspects because for the better part of 3 days, the media had absolutely ZERO to report on, causing this pent up demand to know who the hell these people are.

Also, in Aurora and Newtown, there was a perception of mass murder being glorified through infamy, and people didn't want to grant the killers' wishes. In Boston, these people obviously did not want anyone to find out who they were. Lastly, and I apologize for playing a numbers game with human life, but there was definitely a more tragic loss of life during the shootings, therefore more victim stories to tell.
  • Apparently someone who had been falsely claimed to be one of the bombers on Reddit but wasn't has turned up dead.

This is why "hacktivism" is a long way from being a legitimate thing.
    There is no evidence connecting his death to Reddit.

It's possible, no doubt. But don't jump the gun here.
    Yeah, this guy was depressed and missing for weeks. Suicide was the supposed outcome.
  • Well, that's because only 6 million Jews died in the Holocaust, out of a total of 9-10 million so-called "undesirables." That 30 million number is more akin to how many died in Stalin's purges, but even then, most estimates I heard put that number at around 20 million.
    UN estimates 16 million for Stalin. Also, there's an additional million or two political enemies that died in the camps.

Is it bad if I knew this without looking it up?
  • UN estimates 16 million for Stalin. Also, there's an additional million or two political enemies that died in the camps.

Is it bad if I knew this without looking it up?
    Not really, unless Stalin is your hero or something.
  • Mussolini is my hero for making the trains run on thyme.
  • edited April 2013
    Whoops Internet fucked up.
    Post edited by Jack Draigo on
  • edited April 2013
    Whoops Internet fucked up.
    Post edited by Jack Draigo on
  • I'm sorry, I don't even know what went wrong. I've quietly taken my iPhone out back and shot it.
  • Mussolini is my hero for making the trains run on thyme.
    Mussolini was just a nice guy who Hitler lead astray.