This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Current Events

Comments

• It says right there that the figures are unreliable and unrealistically high, I see no reason the US government would lie about something like that :)
  • Even more "hmmmm..."
    I guess the American government really didn't have any difficulty in selling the WMD story to the American public.
  • It says right there that the figures are unreliable and unrealistically high, I see no reason the US government would lie about something like that :)
    Yeah, it's not as though there are two sides to the story, with one side trying to increase the casualty count and the other trying to decrease it :)
  • I blame Monsanto for the US intentionally trying to poison as much of Vietnam as possible?

Even more "hmmmm..."
    Well, to be fair, I believe US wasn't intentionally trying to target human life with the herbicide, but rather clear the jungle.

• As far as I knew they were also intentionally trying to poison crops to starve people into leaving the countryside.
  • As far as I knew they were also intentionally trying to poison crops to starve people into leaving the countryside.
    Yeap. Also to dishearten the population.

• War is full of dicks.
  • It's really great that the US no longer does evil things like that, and now only sticks to military intervention for purely humanitarian reasons :)
  • edited September 2013
    It's really great that the US no longer does evil things like that, and now only sticks to military intervention for purely humanitarian reasons :)
    I mean, that's obviously the case. Obama's got a Peace Prize and everything.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on

No, that was Operation Rolling Thunder -- a bombing campaign that was impressively cost inefficient.

No, that was Operation Rolling Thunder -- a bombing campaign that was impressively cost inefficient.
    Agent Orange had the same effect it was part of the over all "Fuck them up" tactic of the war.

Agent Orange had the same effect it was part of the over all "Fuck them up" tactic of the war.
    It had the same effect, but that wasn't the intent -- as opposed to Rolling Thunder, which didn't have the effect but it was the intent.
  • AmpAmp
    edited September 2013
    I would argue that. It would be naive to say that the various people in charge did not know how badly Agent Orange screwed people up. I would not go so far as to say that it was deliberate but a helpful side affect as it were of their bombing. Boiling down to, "Well we didn't plan for it but hey it works out pretty good so why stop now".

Edit; Thats one cool thing about America you guys have cool oppression names like "Rolling Thunder", we have "Pimlico"... Im all in favour of ops names becoming so rediculess that people simplify them all down to "Plan to fuck up enemy no 1 ect".
    Post edited by Amp on
  • A moment of silence, and then one ping. One ping only, Vasiliy!
  • I couldn't find the dedicated PS4 thread so... In current events I purchased one last night. The local Gamestop store got in some extras and I just happened to be in the store at the right (or wrong) time to get one.
  • Wouldn't everybody in China be an only child? Is there selective enforcement, or is the penalty just not that severe, or what?

Anyway, weird. They want to stabilize the population? Seems as though they've got a lot of humanitarian issues that would come before that...? I admit I'm not totally up to date on the sociopolitical state of China, though.

Hooray for abolishing labor camps, if it's on the level.
  • HMTKSteve said:

I couldn't find the dedicated PS4 thread so... In current events I purchased one last night. The local Gamestop store got in some extras and I just happened to be in the store at the right (or wrong) time to get one.

I had a Watchdogs bundle on pre-order via Amazon, but came to my senses at the last minute. I'll probably pick one up in a year or two when the bugs have been shaken out. For now, my 360 is still doing just fine as my primary set-top box. I hate the PS controllers which still stink on the PS4, but the XBOX One doesn't appeal to me at all.
  • The One Child policy is only in effect in certain parts of the country. In many rural areas, it's not in effect, so if someone from there had siblings but moved to the city (where it is in effect) they would still be subject to the policy.
  • Greg said:

The One Child policy is only in effect in certain parts of the country. In many rural areas, it's not in effect, so if someone from there had siblings but moved to the city (where it is in effect) they would still be subject to the policy.

You can also apply for an exemption, and they are sometimes granted. Not often, but it does happen.

• Churba said:

Greg said:

The One Child policy is only in effect in certain parts of the country. In many rural areas, it's not in effect, so if someone from there had siblings but moved to the city (where it is in effect) they would still be subject to the policy.

You can also apply for an exemption, and they are sometimes granted. Not often, but it does happen.

Also, like anywhere else, money can get you what you want if it finds its way to the correct pocket.
  • What the actual fuck?!
  • That sounds too absurd to be entirely true, even by British standards of absurdity.
  • Matt said:

it would cost a lot of money to give these people benefits, and they wouldn't be paying it all back in taxes due to rather low-paying jobs.

Isn't this a problem that America itself is causing?
  • edited December 2013
    Omnutia said:

Matt said:

it would cost a lot of money to give these people benefits, and they wouldn't be paying it all back in taxes due to rather low-paying jobs.

Isn't this a problem that America itself is causing?
    Yes. Unfortunately, there are people in major news organizations who immediately start foaming at the mouth when anybody mentions a "living wage", so the obvious solution is somewhat difficult to achieve.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • Amazon Delivery Drones are coming.

I think this is very interesting. I'm sure there are assholes out there that would try to do bad things to the drone, however I'm sure Amazon will have some sort of contingency for that sort of situation.