This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Hockey

Comments

• edited October 2013
    Things I love in hockey:

1. Playoffs
    2. Playoffs
    3. Big hits
    4. Breakaways/penalty shots
    5. Shorthanded goals
    6. Dive plays (i.e. diving down and stretching out to break up a pass)
    7. keep away plays (e.g. this)
    8. the excitement of a power play/penalty kill
    9. Fights with actual punches
    10. The sweaters
    11. Redirection of the puck in mid-air
    12. Goalies scoring goals (it happens so rarely)
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • I do want to see fighting edged out of the game, though. I've seen enough hockey fights, and they rarely serve any real purpose.

Now, if the winner of a fight earned a penalty shot for his team...
  • I do want to see fighting edged out of the game, though. I've seen enough hockey fights, and they rarely serve any real purpose.

Now, if the winner of a fight earned a penalty shot for his team...
    Olympic Hockey has almost no fighting, and is glorious. Really NHL and Olympic hockey should be the same.
  • I love Olympic Hockey.

We should also have a separate sport - Olympic Boxing Hockey.
  • Sharks 9 - Rangers 2. Featuring a Pants-trick for Tomas Hertl. Ouch.
  • edited October 2013
    So the Rangers eh. Now allowed 20 goals in their first 4 games while scoring a total of 6 so far. And here I thought the Flyers sucked ass at the beginning of the season.
  • So the Rangers eh. Now allowed 20 goals in their first 4 games while scoring a total of 6 so far. And here I thought the Flyers sucked ass at the beginning of the season.
    Now ignoring all sports in favor of geekery this winter.
  • I guess I can fly to Detroit and see some hockey...
  • Now ignoring all sports in favor of OTHER geekery this winter.
    Please, I'm from New England. If any team goes anything less than 3-0 to start, I have to hear endless bitching about how the teams suck this year.

Plus all the people who think it's cool to hate on NE teams.
    Please, I'm from New England. If any team goes anything less than 3-0 to start, I have to hear endless bitching about how the teams suck this year.

Sox just won a playoff series. Shut the fuck up.
  • Who knew Scott was a bandwagon fan?
  • Who knew Scott was a bandwagon fan?
    Nope.

Sox just won a playoff series. Shut the fuck up.
    Against the RAYS. That's like the red wings beating a bunch of elementary school kids from Colorado.
  • Things I love in hockey (in order):

3. Empty Net Goal
    How about empty net goals, by a goalie?

• So far the only good thing about the Rangers' season is Cam Talbot's mask.

At least the Flyers are showing some life and improvement. Mason has especially been good.
  • edited November 2013
    For the first time in my life I am actually ashamed of being a Flyers fan. Yesterday's game against the Capitals was a shit-show on all fronts. Poor play, poor mentality, poor sportsmanship, players ending up injured. This team is an honest to god embarrassment, and the worst thing is that there seems no immediate fix on the horizon. They already fired a head coach this year, the GM has essentially already traded all assets that could lead to potential relief for young talent that is simply not gelling (something I call "Oiler syndrome"), and the owner is never going to let a rebuild happen because he is a 80 year old man who wants to force a Cup-win before he dies. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
  • It's always good to see a Philadelphia team in the shit, but why does it have to happen at the same time the New York teams are also in the shit? Now it's all about which city recovers first. I bet on the G-Men. They won't let embarrassment continue for another year.
  • edited November 2013
    At least one ray of light this season: Scott Laughton is a really, really good prospect.

13 games played, 25 points, 14 goals in the OHL so far after getting sent down.
  • Yes! We are number 1!! (In terms of normalized cost/ounce ratio for beer)
  • We're the worst! Fuck you Dolan!
  • Apreche said:

We're the worst! Fuck you Dolan!

• Beat the Pens 2-1. Three game winning streak. 4-2-1 since trading for Downie. Team looking a whole lot better.

Both of those from tonight's game against Ottawa. Red Wings hockey, ladies and gentlemen.

Also: Flyers are now 7-1-2 since that disgraceful game against Washington. All nice, though that is mostly against bottom of the barrel teams.

• Yikes. Schenn concussed. Wilson with the reckless charge got 5 and a game. Probably supplementary discipline incoming as well with the reckless charge. Schenn turns slightly, but that doesn't change the fact that the charge was ridiculous. At least the Flyers scored twice on the power play and closed out the game, unlike Sunday.
  • Don't know hockey rules intimately. Would that have been legal on open ice? Unfortunate the guy got hurt, but to my untrained eye it didn't look like a dirty hit. Didn't hit him with his stick, didn't really hit him in the head.
  • It's still charging, even if it had been on open ice. The guy skates top speed from the blue line in and even after he loses some speed by gliding he takes additional strides to gain more speed.
    42.1 Charging - A minor or major penalty shall be imposed on a player who skates or jumps into, or charges an opponent in any manner.
    Charging shall mean the actions of a player who, as a result of distance traveled, shall violently check an opponent in any manner. A “charge” may be the result of a check into the boards, into the goal frame or in open ice.